Trying to find a longer barreled AR!

Jeepdude1987

Really trying to sell myself an AR, but I'm not a fan of the 16" barrels on all the ones I see that I can afford. I was wondering if there are any longer barreled AR's I could put together for around 400-450? I've pretty much made up my mind on a plum crazy lower, and was mostly looking at uppers.

If found something on Midway USA that fits my want, but just not sure yet.

I think I'm the beggar that is trying to be choosy.

What are people's experiences with a 16" AR versus an 20" or 24" AR? I just don't really want to lose the FPS. I live in open country mostly and even have a 1000yrd range kind of at my disposal not that I'm likely to try it out that far, but the 5and600yrds gongs are lots of fun to play with. Also, 300+yard shots aren't unlikely although I do have a .243 for much more than that.

I am looking at Model 1 again. I didn't see anything I really liked last month when I was looking, but now I am more impressed.

IMO,
If I were you, I'd hold out a little longer. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. If you go cheap, sometimes you get junk...

I'm not saying you should buy a Larue or and other really expensive upper, but if you do your homework you can save quite a lot. Get a good barrel, good trigger, good upper and lower receiver and Build it yourself. If you buy some cheap POS, you won't be happy with it, especially at the ranges your talking about shooting. I would go 20-22" on the barrel, and no flash suppressor.

Well, the one on midway is DMPS thats a hair higher than I really want, but I think that wouldn't really be a "cheap" brand. From what I've seen I can get the function I want out of all of the systems I've looked at. I don't need .5moa.

I really don't want to build my first AR from scratch. I know just enough to be dangerous, and I figure you shouldn't build a gun like that. I don't exactly have time for studying and piece building one. I have considered it for years, but not had the time or flow of money.

Why do you say no flash suppressor?

The heavy barrel are supposed to be a little bit quieter then the ones with flash suppressor. I have a DPMS Sweet 16 and it will shoot lights out if I do my part! I see no reason to get any longer then a 18 inch barrel unless your going to be shooting from a bench. You really don't loose that many FPS and 5-600 yard shots you should have plenty of time to move your clicks or hold over.

You never mentioned what caliber your looking for? If your looking for long range with the knock down get a Grendal and be done with it!

I don't reload yet so a .223. I like the recoil they have with my back problems and plinking ammo is pretty cheap.

I am not looking for hunting out to 5-600yrds just plinking steel silhouettes with the guys at the range. Like I said I have the .243 for the hunting past 300yrds, and I don't even do it but once in a blue moon sort of thing.

I always want the most laser like bullet path cause it just makes things easier for me. A lot of folks shoot high with a flat cartridge. I don't know why, but I tend to hold the right height or shoot a hair low.

I really like the 20" ones too, but I'm thinking I'll settle with a 16" for now, and maybe upgrade the barrel or the whole upper latter depending on my future learning.

I at one time had a DPMS with a 16" tube on it with muzzle brake. At the same time I also had (and still have) a Model 1 with the 24" ER Shaw barrel on it. The longer barrel was SO much more pleasant to shoot that I traded off the short barrelled one. It shot well enough but not anywhere near as well as the one with that Shaw barrel. The lesser muzzle blast might have helped my shooting as well with the longer barrel.

Jeepdude,

A lot of guys like the short carbines, and that's cool, if that is what you want then get it.

I like the longer barrels. I like the noise a bit further from my face. Most of my bolt rifles have 22&24" barrels so I still think of the 20" on an AR as a short barrel, and pretty darn wieldy as it is. I'm not kicking in doors or doing Close quarters combat so the 20" barrel works fine for me. I'd rather just crack the door open and toss in a frag.. I'm not hiding from the enemy so I don't see the need for a flash suppressor in my uses either. Extra weight and that extra length could just as well be barrel. I guess using the FS to protect the crown is a legit use too, but I don't normally stick the muzzle in the dirt.

Granted, if your shooting known distance then you don't need a flat shooter, just get a fast twist and high BC bullets for the wind and dial in a good scope.

Jeepdude, I've got the Remington R-15 with 22" barrel and it's been a good rifle. Now that I've shot my PM Eggshoot rifle a little I'm considering a sale of the Remington. It would be more than $500, but if you're interested in something local, let me know.

Thanks for the offer Desert Ram, but I don't really even have the whole $500 to spend really. Thanks for the offer, and if I had $800+ that its worth lying around I'd definitely be interested.

I think I'm getting close to finding what I want though. I'm still teetering back and forth whether I get a basic setup and save money or spend the extra for what I really want.

Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987Thanks for the offer Desert Ram, but I don't really even have the whole $500 to spend really. Thanks for the offer, and if I had $800+ that its worth lying around I'd definitely be interested.

I hear ya. I don't suppose you have a Springfield XDM 45 or a Ranch Hand front replacement bumper for a 2000 Dodge Ram do you?
w00t.gif
We could work on a trade...

Back