Bullfroging?

eclubine

Frog season started june 30 and i've gone a few times with a .22 during the day. I got a few but some I shot got away. I'm thinking its the ammo i'm using:Remington Thunderbolt's. They're solids and are punching a .22 hole in and a .22 hole out, not much expansion, what do y'all think?

A friend of mine has been shootin Remington Thunderbolts out of his 10/22 and he's had several prairie dogs crawl back down the hole after takin quite a few hits.They really are'nt worth shootin anything with except paper and pop cans from what I've seen but I never would have thought they would'nt kill a bullfrog.The only thing I can think of would be to try shootin them with hollowpoints.I've shot quite a few bullfrogs with a bb gun and a .22 both and I know for a fact that if you hit a bullfrog with a hollowpoint that it aint gonna get away.But I can't say I've ever had one get away after I shot it with a bb gun either.They just aint torn up as bad after gettin shot with a bb gun is about the only difference.

I think you should put the gun down, get a rod and reel, tie on a Snag Proof Frog; and go to work! May sound like I'm joking, but those bullfrogs eat them suckers up. I don't actually "hunt" or fish for them; but have caught A LOT of them this time of year. One morning I caught 10 to 15 in a hour or less. Threw them all back. I'm bass fishing; not fishing for frogs.

Here are some pics!

pics011.jpg

pics024.jpg

Those frogs are pretty dumb. If you can see them, throw the frog by them; and just twitch it. You'll see them come for it. They'll hop on it, shove it in their mouths with their front feet; and set the hook. Or you can cast around where they're usually at if you don't see them, fish the frog; and you'll see them pop up out of the cover. They always eat. If you can see them; you can catch them with a frog lure. Not sure if it's legal or not honestly, but like I said; I'm bass fishing when this happens. I don't go to the lake thinking I'm gonna catch frogs.

Really don't expect this to help, and obviously it's a lot different than shooting them; but you sure can catch a lot of them this way.

I've caught them at five different lakes doing this. If I truly wanted to catch them; I could catch a lot. Is there a limit on them? LOL Wonder if it's legal to keep them where I fish. Never have tried frog legs!

Arden

I didn't get to go this year. Froggin is something I look forward to every year. We do it a little different here. 14' john-boat with a 9.9 on the back. One guy runs the motor, one guy sits in the middle with the light hooked up to a car battery, and I usually sit in the front. Ease along about 20 - 30 feet from the bank with the light pointed right at the water line. When you see one, cut the boat towards the bank, and go straight at it. Keep the light right on him. I'll lay across the front of the boat, and catch them with my hand. I wouldn't recommend doing it in a real rocky areas, but the majority of our river banks are clay mud or sand.

Hillbilly you ever pull a frog up that had a snake attached to it.
We usually gig frogs I have a 10 foot peice of aluminum conduit with a #2 Or #3 gig can't remember But it works great

Swim bait-I've fished for frogs before and its a lot of fun I just havn't really felt like gettin the fishin stuff out but I always have a gun within reach.

Originally Posted By: hillbilly1 When you see one, cut the boat towards the bank, and go straight at it. Keep the light right on him. I'll lay across the front of the boat, and catch them with my hand.

Yep, works great!
You can swap out the smaller ones for the bigger ones as you get close to your limit that way, and the smaller ones go back unharmed to grow up for next time.
thumbup1.gif

I was standin on a big rock fishin one time when I was a kid and watched a bull frog climb out on the bank, just to see what would happen I swung my rooster tail over to wher he sat and it bumped him in the butt and it got his attention, when it swung in front of him he took it just like a bug, unhooked him and threw him back.

Originally Posted By: eclubineSwim bait-I've fished for frogs before and its a lot of fun I just havn't really felt like gettin the fishin stuff out but I always have a gun within reach.

I hear ya! I will say this though. So far, every frog I've seen; I've been able to get them to eat that Snag Proof Frog. I sure wish bass were that easy. I need to find out the rules on my local froggin' and see what's up. If I ever see as many as I saw those few trips; I'd like to know if I can keep them or what. The grass mats were just filled with them.

Arden

I found out when i was around 8 years old that bullfrogs will go nuts after just about any bass bait be it a plastic stick bait, frog, curly tail, or tube jig. Ive never not had a frog chase an artificial worm. My best friend had never seen or heard of this about two years ago so i bet him $5 i could catch 3 in a row or more and 4 bullfrogs later, the easiest five bucks i ever made. Ive gigged em and caught them at night by hand, but ive never shot em. Id try some bulk rem or winchester hollowpoints (whichever shoots better) cause solids arent good for any kind of game.

Originally Posted By: jlutcher51Hillbilly you ever pull a frog up that had a snake attached to it.
We usually gig frogs I have a 10 foot peice of aluminum conduit with a #2 Or #3 gig can't remember But it works great

No, never had any snakes attached to them yet... I did grab a frog once and looked down a couple feet away and saw a water snake laying there. I reached down and grabbed it by the tail and tossed it into the boat. By the time I got turned around I was the only one in the boat... My two buddies were walking on water!!! LOL!!

Growing up, one of the neighbors put in a golf course. He used to fish for frogs in the ponds he put in for water traps, with just a red pice of rag on a string and long pole.

Originally Posted By: Dustswim bait, what color do you use?

Man, thought I was late to reply to this; but just saw you posted it yesterday! Cool! LOL

I honestly don't think the color matters, but I normally use black or Cicada. Cicada is the color in the pics. Those frogs really are stupid for whatever reason. Like someone else said, if you can see them, toss a bait by them and they'll eat it. I'm bass fishing when this stuff happens. I'll see a frog and if I want to mess with it, I'll just cast past it and work the frog up to it. It'll go towards my bait, jump on it, shove it in it's mouth with it's front legs; and I'll set the hook. It's pretty cool to watch them do that. Not sure how nice it is, but it can be fun. Probably better on the frog to just shoot it. They're not like fish, they don't like that hook in their face. When I catch them, they try to get the hook out of them with their legs. Poor frogs!
cry.gif

LMAO
lol.gif

Arden

"They're not like fish, they don't like that hook in their face. When I catch them, they try to get the hook out of them with their legs."

I would bet that if a fish had legs, they would try to get the hook out of their mouth, too!!
lol.gif
I am just making an assumption, though.

kevlars

Eclubine, I've pulled in a lot of frogs in my youth...and IMHO, an eight foot cane pole with a gig on the end and a high powered flashlight is the better way to get them...

I had a buddy that used to take a .22 pistol for frogs and I would wind up with more than double what he would.... He would shoot one and half of the time the frog would jump due to muscle reflex out where he couldn't retrieve it...(We hunted along the edge of the water, no boats)....

We had several big farm ponds that produced some really big frogs with wonderful tasting legs....but, when I retired and moved back to my home town, most of the big ones are hard to find anymore...either the properties have been broken up and developed in to housing tracts, or something has happened to the frog population and it's certainly diminished..they don't seem to be as big anymore...Maybe other kids are cleaning them out...
tongue_smilie.gif

The one and only time I had any luck with frogs was when I had access to a good pond surrounded by trees and the banks were wide enough that when I shot them with my Winchester Model 77 .22 LR they stayed pretty much where they were and I could pick them up really easy.

This was in Lincoln County, Ok, and I think one of the extended family still lives on or owns that property.

I was able to cook them up myself but I was surprised at how many people have no interest in making a meal out of anything that did'nt come from Wal Mart and examined by the FDA/etc!

But FOR SURE frog legs are GOOD!

Good hunting!
thumbup1.gif

I'll second that...frog legs are the best! Our season opens tomorrow, I know what we'll be doing in the afternoon! Plastic worms work like a charm, like another poster said, never had a frog turn one down yet.

Back