whats happening??

borkon

i've developed some problems and can't figure it out
cursing.gif
both my .243 and .280 have been having a slight delay from trigger pull to ignition. these are both 700's and i do reload. any ideas. also, yesterday i was sighting in a 22-250. one round sounded abit different but still shot into a nice group. when i looked at the case, i noticed the primer had'nt been touched
confused.gif
w.t.h.
confused.gif
i rechambered the case and fired it and the primer went off
confused.gif
so how did the bullet shoot out of the case without the primer detonating

This one is going to be interesting!!!

you using black powder in your reloads? Not really...

sometimes a little lube on the primers can give you a delay in detonating but the primers will not detonate twice.

Originally Posted By: borkon yesterday i was sighting in a 22-250. one round sounded abit different but still shot into a nice group. when i looked at the case, i noticed the primer had'nt been touched
confused.gif
w.t.h.
confused.gif
i rechambered the case and fired it and the primer went off
confused.gif

Have you gone off your meds again borkon?

It couldn't. It wouldn't. It didn't. No way.

As to the delay issue, are you sure your getting your primers seated completely? Can you post a picture of your fired cases,showing the firing pin marks on the primers?

Have you been using some new brass? Changed primers?

As far as the one that fired, but didn't fire, uhhh, ain't gonna touch that one.

primers seem to be seated good, hair below flush, however i have had some issues with my priming tool latley. a lee hand primer. sometimes it catches on the upstroke and i have to jiggle it a few times. i'm using cci br l.r. with both new and used cases. can't say if it's been happening to one or the other. primers are fresh and uncontaminated. the other problem is a head scratcher for sure. i've loaded and shot many,many 1000's rounds and have never heard of that before.

So you have three rifles/calibers all having problems ?
Are you mixing up loads/caliber/rifles ?
Do all 3 rifles look the same ?

PC

"both my .243 and .280 have been having a slight delay from trigger pull to ignition."

Yeah, that itty bitty delay is commonly called lock time. The 788 Remingtons had a shorter *delay* than most.
w00t.gif
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I'm still thinking you might of skipped a day on the meds? You check the pill box?

I'm seriously hoping we/you can figure out why/how you fired a bullet out the rifle without popping the primer. If that mystery can be solved, there's gonna be a whole bunch of guys saving some big bucks on primers.

Primers? We don't need no stinkin primers! You may become a wealthy man borkon.

I guess we'll be ok with this thread and have a lil fun right up until the time you get pissy about it.
lol.gif

oh, i definatly won't get pissy
tongue.gif
but it did happen and i i have no explination. i was shooting 3 shot groups and the one in question landed about 1/2 low from the other 2 which were touching. i'm sure you guys are confussed as i am as i can't see how this could happen. remember, the load did sound different when it went off thats why i looked at the case and noticed the primer. weird stuff indead. both of the delay firings are from newer model 700's. the one with the ghost firing was a savage 12 22-250. have been shooting avidly for 30 years and had more mishaps in 1 day the 30 years combined. on second thought, maybe i did skip my meds
whistle.gif

OK, I would lay the 22-250 primer not going off thing, to the side and consider that as possibly a whole different issue.

You say your .243 and .280 are having a slight delay in "lock time" Any delay in lock time that is noticeable,is a significant amount of time.

Any chance you have had your bolts apart lately? Or possibly started using a different type of lube or grease in your bolts,or triggers, that could be gumming up your trigger/firing pins?

If you haven't had them apart, maybe it's time you do.

More questions:

1. How long have you had these rifles?
2. Do they have the delay every time?
3. Have you tried some factory ammo in them?

are you sure you didnt get a empty round that was primed mixed up with your reloaded ammo? you didnt have any buddies around messing with you did you?
lol.gif

none of the bolts have been taken apart although i have put some grease on the back of the lugs recently. the 243 is brand new (100 rounds) the 28o 3 years (200-3oo) rounds. nope, hav'nt tryed factory ammo in years. i barely bump the shoulder while sizing so headspace should'nt be an issue??? primers look fine after firing. about 1 in 5 delay on both guns

Originally Posted By: larrare you sure you didnt get a empty round that was primed mixed up with your reloaded ammo? you didnt have any buddies around messing with you did you?
lol.gif
nope, i was alone and had just loaded them 1 hour before

Originally Posted By: borkon ...... so how did the bullet shoot out of the case without the primer detonating

Divine intervention. A sign from the shooting god.........

Originally Posted By: AckmanOriginally Posted By: borkon ...... so how did the bullet shoot out of the case without the primer detonating

Divine intervention. A sign from the shooting god......... thats what i'm thinking too!!!

Borkon,,, That situation reminds me of the 80 year old man that had a 30 year old wife that wound up pregnant...

The doctor was quizzing him and after running some tests, found out that he was sterile....You can guess how she got in that condition...

It must have been a sympathetic event and the bullet just knew it was supposed to go at that time...just from hearing the hammer fall...
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleBorkon,,, That situation reminds me of the 80 year old man that had a 30 year old wife that wound up pregnant...

The doctor was quizzing him and after running some tests, found out that he was sterile....You can guess how she got in that condition...

It must have been a sympathetic event and the bullet just knew it was supposed to go at that time...just from hearing the hammer fall...
rolleyes.gif
lol.gif
laugh.gif
.. big8 good advice on the bolt cleaning. i took the bolt apart on the 243 and noticed i had some woodputty that i used to plug the action screw holes when i bedded the stock last week covering the bolt face. there was also some in the chamber area where the rim of the case sits. i must have forgot to clean out the screw hole before i but it back together. i also honed the firing pin abit with emory cloth. i'll check the 280 next as i bedded both of them at he same time. good thinking!!. now for the other matter!!!

Maybe you got one of the new two part primers.;)Really, is there a way that the primer only ignited part of its explosive causing the round to go off and then when rechambered the rest of the primer went off? Is that possible?

don't know. never heard of anything like it. i've gone through every senerio possible and am coming up blank. maybe i should call cci and splain it to them???

Outstanding, I bet you found the problem.

As to the other deal, I'm going to sit back and watch this one for awhile.

Although the thought about a "partially fired" primer is sort of what I had rolling around in my noggin. Maybe some sort of factory defect.

Back