What is your favorite 22 mag ammo for coyotes?

Originally Posted By: MPFD I'm just wanting a bullet that is up to the task if I jump one up out of a road ditch, as it is legal to shoot coyotes from a vehical here in Kansas.

I have hurd that it is only legal if you have permishion to hunt on that land but i dont rember if you haft to get out of the truck or not. We never have.
sneaky2.gif

GJ

Not to long ago we had to use rimfire on the wildlife management areas if deer season was closed. I had the best luck with the winchester supreme 40gr. They shot well out of my gun and killed as well as any bullet I used. All my shots were within 50 yards and most coyotes would run a ways. The 22 mag will work for coyotes.

I took this coyote last year with the Hornady 30 V-max. One well placed shot to the neck and it was lights out. I called her in to about 40 yards. Those 30 v-max are tougher than you might think on fur at close range, but it's hard to beat the 40 gr.JHP.

DSCN1321.jpg

Winchester does not make a Supreme 40gr. They make the Super X 40gr. HP. And I think its the best for coyotes in 22 magnum or any magnum for that matter! And Ive benn hrearing good things about the Hornady CCI 30gr. V-max for coyotes. The Federal 50gr. will out penetrate because the bullet will only open to .272cal. Ive tested them also. The Winchester Super X 40gr. HP will open to 35 to 40 cal. And now that Remington changed the bullet in there V-max to the accuate tip V 33gr. I hear its doing a good job on coyotes.

My experience is limited to one coyote with a .22 magnum, taken with a head shot and 40 gr. Win. Super-X HP. It dropped like a rock at about 75 yards.

When I go coyote hunting, I don't reach for the .22 mag, but if and when a shot presents itself, within reason, I feel comfortable taking it up to 100 yards.

coyote22maglargerphoto.jpg

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
My experience is limited to one coyote with a .22 magnum, taken with a head shot and 40 gr. Win. Super-X HP. It dropped like a rock at about 75 yards.

When I go coyote hunting, I don't reach for the .22 mag, but if and when a shot presents itself, within reason, I feel comfortable taking it up to 100 yards.

coyote22maglargerphoto.jpg

THAT LOOKS LIKE GOOD GROUND HOG COUNTRY , WHAT WERE YOU HUNTING THAT DAY .??

Basically I was just out and about, not really hunting for anything particular. I had just got the new Ruger 77/22 mag and got it sighted in, took a walk on the farm hoping basically for a groundhog or skunk, didn't expect to see a coyote. It just happened.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanWhen I lived in Arizona, I rode my horse around the outskirts of the housing developments(County). I killed a lot of yotes with a 40g Win Hp, would not go to a lighter bullet on coyotes, especially any poly tip bullet that would make the jacket open up quicker.

50g Federal did not shoot well in 3 of my rifles, and shots past 100 are tough due to bullet drop...depending on the terrain you hunt.

CCI 40's coppered up my barrel losing accuracy after 40 or so shots.

At the shot, if you don't see a coyote collapse and stop moving, keep shooting. If you can see him laying on the ground still breathing in the scope, hit him again. If you see a yote biting at his stomach while he is laying on the ground, hit him again, he's about to get up and take off. My longest shot was 150 yards, DRT.

You don't have to worry about "fur" issues with a 22 mag.

When hunting yotes, quartering shots coming and going are common, you need some penetration. Also, breaking shoulders, joints, and spine are often needed...yotes are running and jumping. 40g Winchesters HP will get the job done. i live in az. i have killed over 250 coyotes and seen that many more shot. the .22 mag is not s sure killer of coyote. what akleyman said is worth repeating. Keep shooting. the 40 win hp is best for coyotes . 40-60 yards unless you shoot them in the head/neck. i have not tried the 30-33 grain bullets. the 22 mag is deadly on fox DRT.

i live in az. i have killed over 250 coyotes and seen that many more shot. the .22 mag is not s sure killer of coyote. what akleyman said is worth repeating. Keep shooting. the 40 win hp is best for coyotes . 40-60 yards unless you shoot them in the head/neck. i have not tried the 30-33 grain bullets. the 22 mag is deadly on fox DRT. [/quote]

From hunting groundhogs with a .22 mag, I can see that the cartridge is not what it should be for coyotes. Even good solid hit groudhogs will run a distance before dropping. If they are sitting on or near the den, then they can easily get in the hole. Head shots are a different matter, since they drop in their tracks.

Quote: the 22 mag is deadly on fox DRT.
Amen to that! From the shoulder up they don't even flinch after hitting the ground.

The Win 40gr JHP is the least fancy but absolute best all around bullet for the 22 mag. It just plain works, and usually is one of the most accurate rounds as well.

Are you guys talking about the dyna point? Thats all Walmart carries in 22 mag ammo and it is not a solid copper jacket but looks more like copper coated lead. I had not tried it cause I wanted to shoot a true copper jacket round. Coul you specify the model/brand of winchester ammo?

Winchester Super X 40gr. HP is a true jacketed bullet just like a centerfire bullet. They come in a grayish silver box.The Dynapoint come in a white box they are 45gr. and are copper washed.

Originally Posted By: marcoWinchester Super X 40gr. They come in a grayish silver box.

That's it! The grey box winchesters.

If they were to put the same ammo in a shiney black box with red splatter painted on it & dip the exposed lead in lime green paint; that's all anyone would ever buy/shoot. Some reason plain, old fashion isn't sexy enough. Everyone want's to shoot new/flashy.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeOriginally Posted By: marcoWinchester Super X 40gr. They come in a grayish silver box.

That's it! The grey box winchesters.

If they were to put the same ammo in a shiney black box with red splatter painted on it & dip the exposed lead in lime green paint; that's all anyone would ever buy/shoot. Some reason plain, old fashion isn't sexy enough. Everyone want's to shoot new/flashy.

You're both wrong,,, the box is definitely Silver. LOL

Kidding,,, I couldn't agree with ya more.
Colorful plastic (err polymer) sells..

Crappy pic, but maybe this'll help.
Trouble015.jpg

40gr JHP

Luck

Thats what I wondered so they are the jackets softpoint. Awesome, I have seen those and I will get some.

Here is the Winchester load. Thank's to Coleridge, Marco and some others, I gave this one a try. It shoots well in my Ruger 77/22. I have already dropped a coyote and some groundhogs with this one.

Win40grSuperX.jpg

Win1.jpg

Win2.jpg

Ruger 77/22 VMBZ, .22 magnum, Leupold 3x9 scope with Leupold dot reticle, Warne rings

77-22Leupold2.jpg

77-22Leupold1.jpg

I have tested at least 8 different 22mag bullets in my rifle
the Rem.33 was the most accurate hands down.but I got a lot of fragmentation and weight loss.I used the Fed 50 for a long time it hits hard and pennitrates deep,not much expantion and verry good weight retainage best groups out of my 982Vs was 1.5"@100yds.Win super x 40's expand like a big game bullet,pennitrate deep and very uniform,some weight loss but not bad.1" to 1.25"@ 100yds.If I could only have one it would hands down be the super x.Ive seen this bullet hit way harder than than you would think it could.
For edible critters the 50 might be a better choice,due to less expantion.But at the end of the day new offerings aside
The old plain win is still at the top of the heap for my money.
Bob.

I had never owned a .22 Mag. When I sent my Remington 597 .17 HMR in for the complimentary .22 Mag conversion, I felt short an ATV gun. So, I picked up a Marlin bolt .22 Mag with the tubular magazine.

MarlinMag.jpg

In testing some ammo for accuracy, I got the following results. All 3 shot groups at 50 yards:

Remington Premium .33 grain
MarlinMagGroup-1-1.jpg

Hornady 30 grain
MarlinMagHornGroup.jpg

Others
MAGDYNA.jpg

MAGCCI40.jpg

MAGBitterRoot.jpg

The 597 with the new .22 Mag Barrel.....Not so much. )-:

The Marlin lives on my Rubicon. I don't expect to test it on Coyotes as it will mostly feed on the smaller pesky critters that roam the ranch. When Tucker and I get serious about the coyotes a hungry center fire will be on board.

BTW: When sighted strait up at 50 yards the first hold over hash on the Burris Ballistic Plex is right on at 100 yards.

Back