Hawke Optics... anyone use their scopes?

koh

A buddy of mine is dead set on getting a Hawke Sidewinder scope for one of his newest rifles.
This particular guy buy's, sells and trades more rifles in a year then I will ever own in my life so normaly I don't pay too much attention when he gets a lesser priced scope of sorts and he is not that talented of a shooter to begin with.

If he gets this scope it will be the most money I have ever seen him spend on one before in my life and he is telling me that he intends on keeping this rig for a while.
While I think that is a good idea for many reasons I have no experience with the Hawke brand of scopes other then reading a couple of online reviews.

Do any of you guy's have or know anyone who has used any of the Hawke products and if so what is your opinion on them???

They seem to have a lot of nice features that you would normaly expect to pay much more for from some of the other big names in scopes and most things I have read were fairly positive up to this point.
Just curious.
Thanks in advance,
Kenny.

I have owned one on an airgun for 3 months. No issues at all. Clear. Hawke has a fantastic reputation in the airgun community for their customer service. I have called support 3 times (questions about their ballistic software and reticles and not a scope issue) and each time I quickly reached a trained person in their tech support.

I have a total of nine Hawke Scopes in five different power ranges and sizes and really like all of them. The Nite-Eye SR scopes are the most expensive ones that I have and they are really clear and the Ballistic reticle is really easy to use with their free software that tracks dozens of calibers.
My son has their top of line Sidewinder 30 and when the guys at Gander Mountain mounted the scope for him on a Savage Model 12 22-250 that he had bought there, they asked him if the scope was a Swavrovski after they had looked through it. The reticle is much like one of Swavrovski's higher end scopes. The prices were right, the glass and the view is crystal clear and they work well in low light and a lifetime warranty. www.Hawkeoptics.com to see a demo of what each reticle looks like looking at a coyote, deer or a moose.

I really enjoy reading all the topics on this site and rarely give my 2 cents but I have to say these optics are about the best I have ever seen. I started working with Hawke as a sponsor of an up coming predator show I am working on and once I had the first scope in my hands I knew it was good. So good I even became a dealer of theirs. Their service is top notch.

I do have to say, that I was kinda impressed with the Frontier SF when I handled one. The turrets were very nice, and I'd say the glass was on par with a Monarch or FX3. If they tack well, the Frontier SF looks like a good scope. With that said, I'll let someone else be the guinea pig.

I do know the Frontier SF in made in Japan, but by which optics house, I'm not sure. One thing that does bother me about Hawk optics, is I believe (I could be wrong though)that a lot of their scopes are made in China, which isn't a good thing IMO.

You are correct in saying that their scopes are made in China but with that being said several of the top of the line scopes get parts from Canada. For example Leupold gets their reticles from there. I by no means am a big fan of buying things other than American but it is a good product.

Yes, I'm pretty well informed as to the whole optic thing and understand how the game is played. Me not liking China made scopes, has nothing to do with "buying American". It does however, have everything to do with China made scopes are usually not of a very good quality. I never said, Hawke scopes are not a good product, just said the whole china thing worries me.

Like I said, I was pretty impressed with the Frontier SF, which is made in Japan. The turrets are very good! Have you done any tracking tests with this scope? I also liked the Endurance 30 which is also a Japan scope as well. Do you know which optics house makes these two scopes?

I have not laid my hands on the Frontier but have the Endurance. Up to this point they have only said that a major name in the U.S. is made with some of the same products as these scopes. They also have a line of trail cameras that when I tried to get I was told they couldn't be sold here due to being basically the same as another big name and infringement rights.

eabco.com usually has very low prices on Hawke scopes, check'em out.They also have Pentax, Swift, Mueller and others and carry Warne rings.They have their Hawke frontier Japanese scopes on clearance right now.

Last edited:
Back