Fixing a rough spot in a rifle barrel?

williamwjohnson

I got a rifle that has a rough spot in the rifling, about an inch ahead of the chamber. The gun had been setting for a while and had quite a bit of surface rust. It cleaned up real nice, even on the inside of the barrel except the spot I mentioned. It looks like corrosion and it goes all the way around. It don't seem to catch the patches when they go through. I shot it 3 times and it had nothing close to a group. I was shooting standard 22 hornet ammo and it ended up being a 22 k hornet. I was wondering if there is any way to clean it up? Thanks.

More than likely it is bullet jacket fouling, or leading. Being a Hornet, it could also be that someone fired some dirty Euro-crap ammo in it.

I would plug the barrel at the crown, preferably with rubber. Fill the whole tube with Kroil and let sit at least 24 hours. Then hit it with a brass bristle brush. Then some dry patches. Then some more patches with Kroil. Then a couple dry patches. After that, hit it with some JB compound with a patch over a brush. Long even, gentle strokes. After that, use a solvent to make sure every last bit of JB is cleaned out. Then a couple dry patches, then another light coat of Kroil.

Let me know how it works for you........

If rest of the bore is OK, another option is to set the barrel back enough to clean it up, a common practice amoung smallbore competitors.

I shot throat out in a 30-06 Mod. 70 target rifle and had the old barrel cut off and re-threaded to fit a 1903A3 which was used as a practice rifle. The smith took casting of chamber/throat and cut just enough off so that new chamber cleaned up the worn out throat. The A3 shoots as well as the mod 70 had when new.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI wouldn't think he had enough barrel to do that, but maybe. He didn't say what kind of gun/barrel.....

That's possible; if he has a light barrel, may not have enough diameter to re-thread after shortening.

Regards,
hm

The twist may be wrong if the bullets were heavier than 45g. And I would try firelapping to clean and/or smooth out the rough spot. TnTnTn

I was told it was standard 22 hornet, so I was shooting 22 hornet ammo. After I shot it I found out it was chambered in 22 K hornet. It is a K 98 mauser with a 24 inch barrel. Not for sure where the barrel was taken from. It is drilled and tapped for sights, but no markings. It is one of those things you really need to look at to access the damage. I thought some one might have a trick or two to salvage it.

Carbon fouling just in front of the chamber is pretty common.
Try some GM Top Engine with some stiff brass brushes if ya can find it.
KG's stuff is pretty good if not.

Then try shooting some reloads from the FF'd cases.

Luck

Back