My Utah Pot Gut Rig

UtahRob

I was using a Ruger 77/22 wmr but needed something a little cheaper to shoot . Just NOT going to pay out 100.oo a trip on ammo . so i got a Ruger 10 22 target .Floated the barrel with a 3''pressure pad in front of V-block , did a trigger job. Its got a Bushnell legend 5-15 x 40 mil dot on top . 100 pot guts downed so far .I tried a bunch of different ammo , but she loves the CCI mini mags the best .

here where i learned to do the trigger job

http://www.greatwestgunsmithing.com/1022%20trigger%20job%20high.html

ruger1022target.jpg

Last edited:
my 22 mag would blow them in half but my 22 lr they just fall over , but dead is dead . LOL I have a marlin .17hmr but the ammo is more pricey that the .22 mag , i can get .22 mag for 9.95 at Wal Mart . where the cheapest for the .17 is around 12.00 -14.00 here in Cache Valley .But at 19.00 per 500 :), just can't beat the .22 LR . I do like my .22 mag better than my .22 lr though , more pop . I took a LONG drive today on dirt roads ,.Fron the Peter Sins to Randolf and back to hardware ranch looking for another good spot for Pot guts , but didn't find anything better .

I did find these guys surrounded by tall wooded mountains on the top between Randolf and hardware ranch . Its Elk country didn't anybody tell them !! LOL

antelope.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merritt79That is a sweeet looking pot gut rig you got there. I use the 17 hmr for my pot gut trips.

where in Utah do you live ??

Also do you hunt rocks chucks ?? I have seen some in Idaho and Maine street here in Cache valley , but NONE where they can be hunted . Not asking for a location just wondering if you hunt them also . The fun thing about hunting is finding/hunting for them yourself . I bet i have driven 500 miles SO FAR looking for some , seen hundreds of antelope , deer , elk , moose ,golden and bald eagles and had a great time looking .

Last edited:
That is one fine looking outfit.

You are right about the .22 long rifle being a fine round, and much cheaper to shoot. The cartridge defies it minature size in performance.

I went out today to shoot some pot guts , but the field we hunt in had three golden eagles and a badger in it . We got there around 10 am . Not sure if its also been too hot and they have gone nocturnal , very very few were out today . ???? Still had a great time though , some beautiful country around Randolf Utah .

potguthunting.jpg

Anteloperandolf-1.jpg

Last edited:
Keep after it. And be sure to post photos once you get on them.

Nice photos both. What camera did you use?

David

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Keep after it. And be sure to post photos once you get on them.

Nice photos both. What camera did you use?

David

canon5DDSCN0210.jpg

i was using a Canon 20D with a 50mm lens , would love to have a telephoto lens but just too much $$$$$$$$$$. I also have a canon 5d that I use for landscape photography . just for fun and a little extra cash . See link below !!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Utahrob I live in salt lake. Never hunted rock chucks want to but have no idea where to go. I seen some up in the uintas. I don't know if you are a loud to hunt them up there or not. I love hunting pot guts too many people where I like to go. The 17 hmr is a little pricey to shoot I really need to get a decent scope for my ruger 10/22. I had no idea that antelope live out towards hardware ranch. Like taking my daughters up when the elk come down for the winter. They get a kick out of that. I haven't been able to talk them into a sleigh ride yet maybe this year I might be able to. If you are interested in head out after pot guts or yotes let me know. I have a spot in mind that is up in your neck of the woods. Found it while I was out hunting chuckars last year. been waiting for the snow to melt. I haven't gotten back up there since. If your interested let me know.

Originally Posted By: Merritt79Utahrob I had no idea that antelope live out towards hardware ranch.

They were about 1/2 way between Randolf and hardware ranch in a big valley surrounded my some very big mountains . Not sure how they could winter there . ?? They must move out of there to lower ground.

Thats pretty cool that you got some pictures of them. What is the barrel you have on your ruger 10/22? I thought about a buttler creek or one other that Cabelas sells for them. I am going to redue mine some time in the next few months that way I have another gun to go shoot pot guts besides the 17. I debating on putting a colored barrel on. How much of Randolph is private? I was up there back in June and I was tired of seeing nothing but private property signs every where. So truned around and thought there might be some places along the way to hardware ranch but all of that is private.

Originally Posted By: Merritt79Thats pretty cool that you got some pictures of them. What is the barrel you have on your ruger 10/22? I thought about a buttler creek or one other that Cabelas sells for them. I am going to redue mine some time in the next few months that way I have another gun to go shoot pot guts besides the 17. I debating on putting a colored barrel on. How much of Randolph is private? I was up there back in June and I was tired of seeing nothing but private property signs every where. So truned around and thought there might be some places along the way to hardware ranch but all of that is private.

Its a stock 10- 22 target , but with a trigger job ,auto bolt mod , removed front pressure pad and moved it to the rear 2'' just in front of the V-block .

There is a lot of public land just a few miles west of Randolf. you can drive for hours west and most is public land all the way to hardware ranch and south to the sinks and hwy 89 . But there is a big peace of private all along lake town road south towards round valley .

The field on the right is private and has hundreds and hundreds of pod guts in it . but the dirt road and field on the left is public and we shoot the ones that cross the road and in the sage brush . We keep looking for the land owner to enter the field again, so we can ask if we can hunt there , I would think he would love to get rid of a bunch .

potguthunting.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info if you ever up this way let me know. I have a few areas that I know where there at down this way. I am more interested in getting away from campers or go during the week when everybody is at work. The Uintahs has quite a few pot guts and there also rock chucks but I don't know if the rock chucks are legal to hunt or not. I am going to vernal in a couple of weeks to hunt pdogs and coyotes. Is there any pot guts towards Old Ephraims grave? Last time I was up there the snow was still on the ground and it was raining. I thought I would get stuck so I didn't tempted it. If you are interested in doing a hunt together let me know.

Originally Posted By: Merritt79Thanks for the info if you ever up this way let me know. I have a few areas that I know where there at down this way. I am more interested in getting away from campers or go during the week when everybody is at work. The Uintahs has quite a few pot guts and there also rock chucks but I don't know if the rock chucks are legal to hunt or not. I am going to vernal in a couple of weeks to hunt pdogs and coyotes. Is there any pot guts towards Old Ephraims grave? Last time I was up there the snow was still on the ground and it was raining. I thought I would get stuck so I didn't tempted it. If you are interested in doing a hunt together let me know.

I also go during the week , weekends are CRAZY most places . In the last two weeks most of the pot guts ( where i hunt ) seem to be keeping low , from the heat i guess . I have not been to Ephriams grave . Have looked around temple fork , Franklin basin (some there) , the sinks , Rock creek and just about everywhere in between . I saw a Ton in a field along Weber river , but all were on private property .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merritt79Thats pretty cool that you got some pictures of them. What is the barrel you have on your ruger 10/22? I thought about a buttler creek or one other that Cabelas sells for them. I am going to redue mine some time in the next few months that way I have another gun to go shoot pot guts besides the 17. I debating on putting a colored barrel on. How much of Randolph is private? I was up there back in June and I was tired of seeing nothing but private property signs every where. So truned around and thought there might be some places along the way to hardware ranch but all of that is private.

Have you ever been on here , great site and TONS of info . some real big time 10 22 nuts .

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

You are welcome. I head up towards Current Creek strawberry area there are alot there. But on the weekends too many campers. Its crazy but I can't find anyone who would like to go on the weekdays so I go on the weekends when I can. I haven't been out at all this year for them yet. I have been taking my daughters out fishing alot this year and always running into potguts but I don't have a gun with me.

Rick

Back