What is your favorite 22 mag ammo for coyotes?

MPFD

I figure if it will kill a coyote it will easily take car of fox. What is your favorite 22 mag ammo for fast kills. I am shooting CCI's 40 g. JHP and they are plenty accurate.

YES I REALIZE THERE ARE BETTER CALIBERS.

I got a Marlin and finally got it functioning well, I will be using it for semi-urban fox, and maybe a close range bushwacked coyote from time to time. Whats the best killing ammo for a 22 mag. I don't wanna use the 50 grainers cause I still wanna retain some trajectory out to 100 yards.

Last edited:
I got the 30 gr v max ammo also. They shoot awesome out of my rifle. I also Have 50 gr federals that shoot well. Im just not one of these guys that would use that round on coyote. I know people do, and they will kill coyotes, Im just not willing to do so. Just my 2 cents, good luck

Mark2

I got it all camo'd up and its good and rust proof so it will be my new dedicated truck gun and used on fox at night. I'm just wanting a bullet that is up to the task if I jump one up out of a road ditch, as it is legal to shoot coyotes from a vehical here in Kansas. But I want to keep the noise down.

Last edited:
If I absolutely didn't have access to a centerfire and had to use a .22 mag for close in coyotes, the Federal 50gr JHP would be my choice.

On the other hand, if I was looking at a close in fox round as MPFD asks for, the 30gr V-Max might be a better choice from a fox/fur standpoint. It'll still kill a coyote if you put one in the breadbasket, even if it runs a ways.

Ive been using the 30grain V-maxes the last year or so, and they seem to work quite well. I havent killed a coyote with it but did shoot one fox and it never twitched. Id say if you kept it inside of 75yards and chose youre shots well, you would be fine.

Long ago, I did some pretty extensive penetration tests with the 22 mag. Very surprising how well the cartridge will penetrate. Federal 50gr JHP was the clear cut winner....

Here's a Rem 33gr.

DSCI0450.jpg

DSCI0452.jpg

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKAnyone know of a source for the WMR Hornaday V-Maxes?

Midsouth has it in stock at $9.35 or so.

When I lived in Arizona, I rode my horse around the outskirts of the housing developments(County). I killed a lot of yotes with a 40g Win Hp, would not go to a lighter bullet on coyotes, especially any poly tip bullet that would make the jacket open up quicker.

50g Federal did not shoot well in 3 of my rifles, and shots past 100 are tough due to bullet drop...depending on the terrain you hunt.

CCI 40's coppered up my barrel losing accuracy after 40 or so shots.

At the shot, if you don't see a coyote collapse and stop moving, keep shooting. If you can see him laying on the ground still breathing in the scope, hit him again. If you see a yote biting at his stomach while he is laying on the ground, hit him again, he's about to get up and take off. My longest shot was 150 yards, DRT.

You don't have to worry about "fur" issues with a 22 mag.

When hunting yotes, quartering shots coming and going are common, you need some penetration. Also, breaking shoulders, joints, and spine are often needed...yotes are running and jumping. 40g Winchesters HP will get the job done.

Last edited:
I've always shot the 40gr Winny's too, but Rich44 who post's here as well as another forum that I visit has been whacking some awfully big Chucks this year with the Remmy Poly-Tipped stuff with good results. Says they perform better on Fox and Coon too.
He's an old hand with the WMR so I believe him. Maybe the slower velocities slow down the rapid expansion (read splashes)the poly tipped stuff is know for with the high velocity centerfires?
I don't know how far it penetrated but the bullet SuperSeal posted looks like it held togeather and expanded pretty well.

Just Saying

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKAnyone know of a source for the WMR Hornaday V-Maxes?

Midsouth shooters supply

Mark2

Back