Nikon prostaff

getfoxy

I know theres probably alot better scopes out there but is a Nikon Prostaff fine for a calling rifle?

Last edited:
I have two of the 2-7. One is on a Ruger 77/22 and the other is on a H&R Ultra Slugger 12ga. Never had a problem with them holding zero. Excellent scope for under $150.

Thanks, for the money it seems like a decent scope. Im gonna put it on a 22-250 and for the little bit that i shoot (never over 100yards) I think it should work well

The Weaver costs about the same, has 94-95% light transmission compared to 90% for the Prostaff, and I'd bet they track better also. I've beat the crap out of a couple and they are still tickin'.......

I think I have settled on the 4X12X40 Pro staff BDC reticle for my soon to be new Savage accutrigger. I was debating on a Leupold or the Nikon but the Leupold has a 2 piece tube and the Nikon a single piece so I decided on the Nikon instead. Also the light gathering quality of the two side by side the Nikon takes it hands down.

I have three Prostaffs and I like them for the price, two have the nikopex and one has the BDC which I like really well. Nikon has a program on their web site that breaks down the circles for the range with the particular factory loaded ammo that you use in your rifle and you can also print them off for a range card if you want to.

The prostaff will do just fine. I have one thats 4x12x40 and really like it so far. Its exceptionally clear and to me the glass is just as good if not better than the glass in the Leupolds ive looked through. Some have said the customer service is not the greatest but Nikon has the same warranty as Leupold if you ever do need to send it back.

I just got the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 today it is a great scope and side by side to the Leupold it is comparable... I am putting it on my Bushmaster Predator..

I have a Nikon Prostaff 3x9. It wouldn't hold zero, so I sent it back to the factory for repair. The repair was done quickly and with no charge and no hassel. I haven't mounted it on a rifle since it was returned to know if the problem was fixed.

As to glass, it's very clear, and I like the eye relief, not to mention the appearance of the scope.

6mm06.what did you have the prostaff on when I failed to hold zero?

I put mine on my 22-250 and seems like sighting it in is a P I T A.

It will be high one minute, then ill try to bring it down then it will be higher than before, but then I wont even touch the adjustments and Ill shoot again and it will be back down?

Getfoxy,

Sorry for the delay, it's taken me this long to see your question.

I had the scope on a .22 Magnum Marlin. No recoil to speak of. It just wouldn't hold. I'm hoping they fixed it. It's still in the box after being returned from Nikon. I'm just waiting to mount it on something to try it out. I have since put another scope on the mag.

I do like the glass and appearance of Nikon scopes.

Just for information sake, I have two other Nikons, both identical. They are Buckmasters 6x18 with dot reticles.

Two days ago, I got out my 6mm06 and dusted it off after sitting in the gun rack for about two years. I've been groundhog hunting with rimfires this summer and haven't touched the 6mm, plus last summer I was involved in Shenandoah Groudhogs with ARCOREY, so the gun has just sit in the rack. I took it to the bench, shot two shots, and here's what I got. Exactly where I left it about two years ago.

2 shots = 3/8", 1 1/4" high

6mm06.jpg

Since my 1st Prostaff 4x12x40 (had to try it), I have bought another. As how I feel about them, next gun I buy with have the same put on. I really like it.

For what its worth i have had a pro staff on my RRA Coyote for a couple years not and it has been a good scope. I also had one on a savage 308 and it kicked a little and I never had a problem with it holding zero. They are great scopes for the money. I just recently changed out my pro staffs for monarchs but it was only because I got a good deal on the monarchs.

I think the pro staff is once of the best cheap scopes on the market. I have 3. I have trouble parting with 4 - 600 for a high end scope now, knowing how good those pro staff scopes are for 150.

I have a prostaff 3-9x40 on my 243 i just got. Had problems with the rifle after less than 20 shots so i havent gotten to use the scope/rifle much. i do like the scope though. Kind of wish i would have gotten the BDC. I have a 4.5-14 buckmaster BDC on my 300WSM and I love it!

Back