Best scope for the AR long range shooting?

Before you spend that kind of money, try one of these
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=746570
They are 1/5 the price and 6.5 X 20. I have two and they are great scopes. Read the reviews. If you have doubts, look through it without mounting it and if you don't like it, you can return it. I know it is a Simmons and I had a tough time getting past that, until I looked through one. You won't be sorry.

Originally Posted By: sandhillshunterDefine long range. Are we talking 3-4 hundred yards or something like 7-8 hundred yards?

anywhere from 3-5 hundred yards

Keep in mind that almost any scope, when set over 18x, will be prone to picking up a lot of mirage on a hot day, or if you heat up the barrel...

I have several high power scopes and wind up backing them down when shooting in the summer...My favorite scope is my Sightron S2 4-16x-42 Mil-Dot as it give me the clearest view under almost any conditions and it isn't priced so high that the average person can't afford it.. I have mine mounted on my .204 AR and have had no problem popping Prairie Dogs at 400 yards..

If you are going to be shooting past 500 yards on a regular basis, you should consider getting the Burris Z scope rings with the +/-10 inserts to allow you more scope elevation, as most scopes w/ small calibers will need the extra elevation at 600+ yards..

I have a 8-32x Burris Black Diamond on my 700 Tactical and found that even it required a lot of knob turning at 600 yards...not so with the ring inserts..

I have used Tasco and even BSA 6-24 scopes without trouble. I know some won't touch either of these brands, but on light recoiling guns I haven't had any issues.
I even have an extra one that is sitting in my room, if you are interested. It is the tasco 6-24x40 I think.
Have mostly shot them on a 22-250 ruger77, but don't see why they wouldn't work on an AR.
MUCH less expensive!

I have a 3.5X10 Leupold on my 20" DPMS Varminter, it has the Mil-Dot recticle and target knobs, found it used in a local shop last fall. I have also heard people say great things about the Simmons as well.

What are you shooting at 500 yards? Paper you can see at lower magnification, but if it's for sage rats (I see you're in Washington) don't go below 20X or you can't find them.
Get as big an objective as you can find, that helps keep the exit image large (brighter).

The only one I see is the Mark AR 6-18x40mm AO. In my opinion, that's not going to be a very bright scope picture at 18X. If you went to a 50mm objective, it would be brighter even at 20X, for example.

It's a nice scope, don't get me wrong, but that 40mm objective is handicapping it at high mag.

While I like Leupold just fine and their scopes will serve you well. I'm not a real big fan of that particular scope. The BDC dial is already set (if I remember right), so you will have to duplicate their load for the settings to match.
I personally think you would be better of getting a VX2 and sending it into Leupold's custom shop for them to install BDC turrets that are matched to YOUR load. If you want a BDC turret, that is. The turrets will still only be set to that one load, but at least it's the load you want. I know a lot of people like them, but BDC turrets are very limited IMO.

Better yet, would be to learn to "dial" yardage and forget the BDC all together!

Originally Posted By: sandhillshunterWhile I like Leupold just fine and their scopes will serve you well. I'm not a real big fan of that particular scope. The BDC dial is already set (if I remember right), so you will have to duplicate their load for the settings to match.
I personally think you would be better of getting a VX2 and sending it into Leupold's custom shop for them to install BDC turrets that are matched to YOUR load. If you want a BDC turret, that is. The turrets will still only be set to that one load, but at least it's the load you want. I know a lot of people like them, but BDC turrets are very limited IMO.

Better yet, would be to learn to "dial" yardage and forget the BDC all together!

I have one that is BDC, but it's a 1-4 that is only used for sport, I also prefer not to have the BDC for my longer range stuff.

I did buy one of the VXII 3-9X40. I bought it from the Leupold Custom shop with the knobs and I believe that is still cheaper than buying one and then sending it to them. If someone has a better rate, please share.

Leupold will set up the BDC to your load data if that's that route you choose to go. You just have to choose custom reticle and put in all of your data. I even called them to go over some of the data points for the 1-4 I had them build.

"I believe that is still cheaper than buying one and then sending it to them."

Depends on the deal you get. There's some great buys out there on the net. Last I looked, the custom shop was never the cheapest place to buy a scope from. Probably a wash at best.

There's places you can get vx2 3-9 for almost $50 less then what the Leupold's CS sells them for. Jumping into a 6-24 like the OP was looking at, is only going to have a bigger price difference. But with that said, it would be easy just to get it all from one place.

It would really matter what you are shooting at. I don't think you could really claim the best is any specific rifle.

I'd stay away from a scope with preset knobs and the like unless you plan on setting up a load that will mimic the one the scope is set up for.

Leupold is a good brand, but I wouldn't do that exact model myself.

Quote:Leupold is a good brand, but I wouldn't do that exact model myself.

Yeah, my buddy has the Leupold 6.5 - 20 mil-dot on his AR and it's a very nice varmint rig. Not so great for making stands, though.

I killed a sage rat at 440 yards using his rig with him spotting. Neither one of us could believe it.
lol.gif

I tried to pass it off as something I could do all the time, but I don't think he bought that story.

I have three Hawke Optics Nite Eye SR12 scopes on bolt guns and one AR15. I have been really happy with the clarity and the also the ability to use red or green on the reticle when the light gets dim. Hawke has 50% of the scope market in Europe and they have a lifetime warranty. At www.eabco.com they can be bought for $249. An even higher quality Hawke that my son has on his 22-250 Savage is the Sidewinder 30. They are $399. The SR reticle is very similar to the reticle used in some of Swavrovski's high end scopes. Gives you something else to consider.

MudEngineer,

Brand new member. 5 posts. All 5 posts in the weee hours of the morning. All 5 posts praising Hawke scopes.

You got stock in the company or do you really like Hawke scopes that much? lol

Looking through those scopes, I see to many lines, circles, dots, just to busy, to cluttered for my liking. I don't think I could ever find a coyote looking through all that crap. Some guys dig that stuff though.

i have not found anything better than the loopy 3x9 mark-ar that is designated for the 5.56 round. the scope has mildots for 2 thru 500 yrd shots using the 55 grain bullet or you can dial it in using the 1-5 elevation knob and it wont break the bank.....they sell for around 360.00.
IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

For a beginners and budget conscious person Nikon P-223 BDC 600 Riflescope with Rapid Action Turret, Black, 4-12x40 is a good choice , I think .

Back