CZ 527 Varmint in .204 Ruger or .223?

I have the 527 in a .204 havnt had the oppertunity to use it on live target yet but am very happy with the range results using hornady v-max 32gr. I will be using mine on coyote,fox,cat if I ever get one in the scope. Most shots that I would have here would be under 200 maybe push the 300 mark on occasion. The only thing I dislike about the CZ is the safety is backwards. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

Tripledeuce that is a great looking rifle. I've been looking at both the Savage lightweight varminter and the cz 527 varmint and I think I'll be getting the cz later this week

Loaded with 40gr. bullets there is little difference in trajectory and velocity between the two.

But the .223 comes into it's own with 50gr. and heaver bullets.

I like my CZ American .223 very much, I killed a coyote at 284 yards with it using a 55gr. Hornady V-Max.

Bob would say .204 ruger. I have both, but they serve different purposes. My .223 is my 16" AR and is my primary calling rifle. My .204 is a savage 12fv and is for shooting PD'sand the like... Love them both.

Wow, this is an old thread from almost a year ago. What did you get, and how did it work out for you Pyrofanity?

I love my CZ's too. Hard to pick between the 17 Rem, 204, or the 223. Right now a little CZ American in 204 is one of my favorite coyote rifles.

It's hard not to like the little rifles, and believe me I have/had about 2 dozen CZ's.

I have the .204 and love it. After shooting the 204 and 223 side by side I knew I wanted a 204.
If you ever plan to use it on coyotes though, you may wish to use the Hornady 45 gr (based on their Interlok bullet), because the 32 and 40 V-Max are "explosive" and made for p-dogs, ground hogs, ground squirrels. Both 32 & 40 a fine on p-dogs out to 400 yds and beyond.

Whichever you decide on, the 527 is a straight shooting and very well balanced rifle with a good trigger.

Last edited:
Really liked my laminate model in 223 shot really well also.
IMG_1219.jpg

I did a search on the Hornady 45 gr .204 Interlock bullet and can only come up with components. Is anyone loading these up and selling them? I checked bass pro and cabelas and nothing????

Rabidhunter,

If you go to the Hornady web site under "ammunition", choose caliber, there is a link to click on to "find a retailer". Type in your city and state and it will bring up a list of places in Maine.

I did a search for loaded ammunition at the following places:
Midway USA shows stock on the 45 gr 204, MidSouth Shooters Supply also shows inventory and so does Graf & Sons, so does Natchez Shooters Supply. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Back