Hodgdon Varget vs. H322 for best accuracy in .223

p5200

Has anyone compared these two powders for accuracy for the .223 Rem. If so, what size weight range/style in bullets did each powder perform it's best? I realize it will vary with each gun but just looking for ball park figures in general. The range will be mostly 100yds. with Hornady V-max 55grn. and Sierra MatchKing 69grn. The rifle is a Savage 10fp with 1 in 9 twist. I have some Varget now but was wondering if I should try some H322 also. The Varget seems to be grouping pretty good on the 55grn. V-max and I have the Sierra 69grn. MatchKing bullets on order. Thanks!
smile.gif

Welcome to PM!

I think you have pretty much answered your own question. For me, the Varget will give higher velocities with the 55gr bullets, however the H-322 will flow through my Dillon and Hornady powder measures better. The Varget only does good in my Harrels or Redding BR measure.
John

Welcome to pm.
I was having trouble getting good groups with my sako 1-8 twist. I could get ok groups but nothing to get excited about. I tried h322 with nosler 80 grain bthp and hornady 80 grain a-max. and the average 5 shot groups were running about .35 with the a-max and .3 with the noslers. Both were loaded ten thousandths off the lands which made them longer than would feed through the magazine. Being the sako is a bolt gun, I don't mind the single shot for prairie dogs or target work.
I got about .75-.85 groups with the above bullets and varget powder. Not terrible but not great in a heavy rifle.
With the 55 grain bullets, you might want to try h335. I have had great luck with this powder and 50-55 grain bullets in a number of 223 rifles.
If your shooting the heavier bullets then the powders you mentioned are a better choice.
Thanks,
Tim

I love H322, hate varget. Large Varget kernels do not meter well in my powder measures, plus I did not get the accuracy or the speed.

I have reloaded many thousands of .223 rounds and in my bolt .223 rifles as well as my AR-15 varmint setup I have yet to find a powder that will give me the day in day out accuracy that Varget will. I just bought some IMR 8028 to try and see what it will do, but I will be some tickled if it measures up to Varget.

As far as how well it meters, Varget does fine for me. Might not flow as well as some, but if my rifles like it, and they sure do, I can live with an occasional stutter through my dump.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI love H322, hate varget. Large Varget kernels do not meter well in my powder measures, plus I did not get the accuracy or the speed.

Agreed. I never noticed Varget to meter all that badly, but what do I know I am pretty new to this stuff. But, none of the other powder that I have tried has been as accurate or produced the speed of H322. N133 was pretty close but, not as consistently accurate, and it costs about $7 more a pound.

I ran a lot of Varget for the 223/223ai's with excellent results/speeds.

I never tried 322 for the .223/.223ai's, just for my .17rem.

Back