Are all coyotes "callable"?

Quote:Maybe not, I know a good professional coyote killer that killed the female, the male got away, BUT, the male CAME TO THE CALL ONCE, so even he was "callable" at one time. SO, you contridicted yourself,..
For those that think that there are coyotes that can't be called, ever, and have never been called, how do you think that coyote lives. How can it survive if it never interacts with sounds that it hears? AND what would cause a coyote to avoid said interaction in its day to day life?

Once is all it takes.
thumbup1.gif

I was thinking called in and killed. I am sure he tried most of his techniques on this one, after killing that many sheep it would be a big problem for a control guy. I was on the thought of calling to kill the coyote, like if they learned to avoid coming in, can you call any or every coyote to kill them. I would say there are a few that would avoid it for a good time if they sharpen up the first time.
That is why using 5-6 different methods to control problem coyotes will out produce just calling. They hired a new guy in Sheridan co. a few yrs back, a fed employee, his main method was calling and using a siren. After 2 yrs of him being there, it was real tough to call coyotes that were used to his narrow methods. He was better at lying than killing them. They have since dropped out of the fed program and hired a good private control guy.

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20Maybe not, I know a good professional coyote killer that killed the female, the male got away, he kept killing sheep. The male wouldn't come to calling and other methods, then 6 months later he stepped into a trap, that was set for 6 months, finally decided to check the set out. During that time he was supposed to have killed 10,000$ of sheep. When the female went down, he killed more than before.

I think that sheeper needs a couple of good Great Pyreneese dogs to
guard those sheep. Maybe a sheep herder to go with the dogs.

Originally Posted By: YotecallrSince a coyote can't reason or structure logic, the answer is yes.

I'll differ on that comment.
I've been working with all sorts of dogs for many years and I have yet to
work with one that couldn't reason. Most of them have been pretty danged smart.
Some breeds are better at reason and logic then others but I think they are
very capable of it.

Coyotes would be about the same as dogs.

You've never seen a pack of coyotes, wolves or dogs, etc coordinate an attack on anything ?
If not, you really need to see it. Very cunning critters.

Coyotes would be about the same as dogs.

You've never seen a pack of coyotes, wolves or dogs, etc coordinate an attack on anything ?
If not, you really need to see it. Very cunning critters.

I believe that would be learned behavior.
Regards
Kelly

yotesalot - yes that coyote had been called before.

Could summertime calling aid in the learning of these Coyotes? It makes me wonder..Im on a small ranch, and evey year new coyotes move in. I have been out a few times this summer, I see a little sign that Coyotes are still here, but they dont seem agressive enough to come to a call. I usually dont hear many coyotes until september, but I hit them pretty hard during the winter and fall. Im wondering if the few that survive the winter and have pups in the spring dont try to warn the pups about summertime calling. I know it seems like a streatch, but dogs are smart. This is one of the things that I have noticed on the Ranch. I cant say for sure, But I will let you know in Sept-Oct... Good Post!

Originally Posted By: CAT DADDY COLD

I believe that would be learned behavior.
Regards
Kelly

yotesalot - yes that coyote had been called before.

We may have to start a whole nother subject on if animals are capable of
thought, reasoning and logic.

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20If the big guard dogs stopped all coyote killing of sheep, every rancher would have some and they wouldn't need a control guy,imo.

Livestock guard dogs will stop most killings but nothing can stop all.
You run them in 2's or more. If properly trained they stick with whatever
they are guarding 24X7 and they will take care of business.

Originally Posted By: CAT DADDY COLDAre all coyotes callable. Maybe. Maybe not.

Even old coyotes screw the pooch from time to time.

IMG_1102.jpg

stay after them
Kelly

Killin Kelly, this one might be a long lost cousin to that old worn toothed coyote you killed.

cccoyotemangenoteethnov1609.jpg

I have no way of knowing 100%, but I'd guess this old dog had heard a few man made/machine made sounds in his lifetime. I just happened to catch him during a moment of weakness. He won't be having anymore of those moments.

The secret to calling those older, tooth worn coyotes is to use softer, weaker, more mellow type sounds. They know they can gum those weaker critters to death and they are much easier to chew and swallow.

Back