223 with BLC-2

m21black

I haven't loaded for the 223 in years but I picked up a Remington 700 VS in 223, have a couple pounds of BLC-2 that I used in the triple duce... whats a good load to start with going to use 50 grainers on coyotes?

I had bad luck with BLC-2. It grouped good when I worked up the load in the fall but come summer my groups opened up to about 2" or more. It is real sensitive to temperatures.

Originally Posted By: reb8600I had bad luck with BLC-2. It grouped good when I worked up the load in the fall but come summer my groups opened up to about 2" or more. It is real sensitive to temperatures.

I had the same type of issues with it. Nice groups sometimes but then at different times of the year the groups opened up and all over the place. Switched to benchmark and no more problems and real nice groups to.

Here is what I got at the range today with BLC-2... using new Lapua 223 brass with Federl 205 SR match primers.

25.50 grains 2915 FPS
26.00 grains 2980 FPS
26.50 grains 2979 FPS
27.00 grains 3030 FPS
27.50 grains 3110 FPS

the 27.00 and 27.50 loads velocity spread between shots was 34 FPS and 28 FPS respectively. The reduces loads where all over the place velocity wise although all five loads with 3 shot groups where all around moa. There was no signs a pressue problems.

Thanks for the advice.

BL-C(2) and H-335 are two powders that have performed best for me in a variety of cartridges at near max. pressure. In addition to a lower SD, they seem to burn cleaner at max pressure as well.
John

I tried BLC-2 with 60 gr. V-Max this winter, with good results, groups between .25 and .75 with 26.8 gr. of powder. However, I saw the same results as others; groups opened up as temp rose and I even had flattened primers and cratering when I shot the load this summer. I may load up some more this winter to use, but will leave them alone in the summertime.

reb and drake - I had very similar experience with BL-C(2) being very temperature sensitive. Thanks for sharing your findings.

I had problems with temp too. I've found Benchrest and H4985 to be better alternatives. That's just my results, others mileage will vary.

I have a 700VS in 223 as well and its one of my favorite rifles. I have always had good luck with Win 748 with bullets anywhere from 40-55grs. This powder has performed well for me in several different rifles as well. I have to agree with you on BLC being the powder for 222, I use it in a couple different 222s.

Back