.22 magnum scopes

ksboy2

want to upgrade to a better scope for my rem. 597 in .22 mag.

i will be using the gun to snipe prairie dogs from 150 yards or less...

Don't know what you have on it now or how much you want to spend? My rule of thumb is the smaller the annimal the bigger the scope. Most of my coyote gun have low power variables, my 22 LR paper puncher has a 30mm 8x32x40 scope.

The Mueller APV 4.5x14 would make a great scope for what your going to do and is very reasonably priced. If you just feel that you want to spend more or want a scope from the top four anything in 4x16 area (4x12, 4.5x14, 5x15) should work fine. The new Redfields, Nikon Buckmaster & Prostaff, Bushnell Legend & 3200 Elite are all nice scopes and reasomably priced.

AWS

A 22Mag has no recoil and you'll be shooting small targets. Don't be afraid to use a scope with some power. For years I shot a 22Mag and 4-12 scope, it worked ok. Then I put a 4-16 on a custom 22Mag. The whole 16X gets used a lot of the time, even at 60-70yds. I wouldn't go back to the 4-12.

I think the 3x9 Rimfire scopes would be great for plinking or shooting squirels with a 22Lr but the 22 Mag has quite a bit more range and I'd pick something bigger in scopes. Like Ackman said a 4x16 wouldn't be out of the question.

AWS

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43The thing I see with rimfire scopes is a small objective, 32 or 33, this cuts down your field of view. Just my opinion.
Actually the objective size has nothing to do with FOV. There are only 3 things that determine FOV:

Power, more means less FOV.
Occular diameter, bigger means more FOV.
Eye relief, more means less FOV.

Jack

The 3-9x is great for hunting out to 150 yards or even a little more. I wish I had more magnification while trying to target shoot and see my 100 yard groups. At 100 yards my target aiming point just gets a little small and my groups sufer. But I'm fine on the 'hogs.

I use a Weaver 3-9x33 which is pretty compact (little over 11") and seems well made. It is pricey at $210 from Midway. If I decide to replace it I will be doing so with the Mueller 4.5-14 recommended above.

I'll tell ya a good one to try is the Weaver V-16 I had one on my VMBZ great scope. I have a Leupold 3x9 EFR on my VMBZ now and like it alot, best scope I ever had on the VMBZ.

Back