C Sharps Vs. Shiloh Sharps?

xminerat

I'm wondering if there much difference in quality between the Sharps rifles built by these 2 Companies.

Also, the model 1874 seems to be a popular model. What about the 1875?

Any insights would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I had a 1875 C Sharps 10 years ago. It was a beautiful rifle and shot 3" groups at 300 yds with handloads and the veriner sight. Great fit and finish. Also took deer and hogs with it. IMO, just a nice as any Shilo I ever seen.
Don't think you could go wrong with either. Personally I wanted the 1874, but didn't want the long wait at that time.

I think that there are probably 10 shilohs for each c sharps rifle at the silhouette matches I have attended. I don't see much difference in the rifles but have heard the service at Shiloh is better. I have owned 5 Shiloh rifles and have never had any sort of problem with any of them. They all shot better than I could shoot and the folks at shiloh always have been helpful when I had questions.
As to the different models, I think the 74 was the gun used by the buffalo hunters and the nostalgia is a big part of the 74s appeal.
The C sharps I have seen are all nice rifles and shoot very well. I do think Shiloh uses a better grade of wood in most of their rifles but wood doesn't make them shoot any better. Buy what is best for your needs and you can't go wrong with either choice, they are both fine custom rifles.
Tim

Last edited:
I still have one Shilo and one of my shooting buddies has a C Sharps They both shoot very well His has a Badger Barrel and mine is a factory made by Shilo I know alot of shooters at the silhouette matches that are shooting a Shilo have put badger barrels on them like was said before either one is a very fine rifle.

THANKS GUYS!!

I have a Italian Repro Sharps that shoots very well, but as Rich44 told me some months ago, there's nothing like the American-made Sharps.

I'm saving some $$'s, in hope of buying either another 45-70, or maybe a 45-90?

It does get in your blood.

My desire for one of these American made sharps started in the early 80's when these
two company's were joined. Twenty years later I found myself owning a very nice 1874 C. Sharps
#1 that has a good deal of custom upgrades. I would like to order one the way I want but until
then this one will get it done.
I have had no problem at all with mine. Fit and finish is better than any other rifle I have
ever owned. I have delt with the people at C. Sharps for sights, reloading goods, and
information. They have always been helpfull and I have no complaints with their service.

I have no hands on with a Shiloh but their reputions is extreemly good.
P.S. These rifles will surprize you how well they shoot.

Last edited:
Here is something that might interest you about the 74 Shiloh a few years ago my father in law sent his 40-65 back to the factory to have it re-barreled to 45-70. The rifle was sent back
at no charge. And I have heard about this from more than a couple of people.
Kurt and Lucinda run a very fine business and do stand behind their products.
I have owned one 74 Shiloh and it was a great shooting rifle.
I currently have a 1885 C Sharps in 45-70 and it is a very fine shooter as well.
As for as 74's go my choice would be the Shiloh.

Back