How do you pick your broadhead weight?

LeviSS

I've decided that I'm going to be trying Slick Tricks this year. I'm trying to decide on the weight.

All I've shot in the past are Muzzy 100gr broadheads.

What's the easiest way to get an idea what shoots better? I know field points will fly different, but should I try some 85gr or 125gr to see how they do?

What are pros and cons of heavier vs lighter? I'm guessing that lighter is faster, but may lack the punch, and the opposite for the heavier ones.

I'm not sure whether I should just stick with 100gr or if I should go up or down.

What are you guys opinions?

im using 125 grain practice tips, so im not gonna go less than 115 grain, you should practice with the broadhead your going to be using as well!

I always just use 100 grain heads. Awhile back the 125 grain heads had alittle bigger cut on them, but now adays you can get the 100's and 125's in the same size. I see no reason to use a 125 grain head. It will also bump your arrow weight up a bit if you want that, but I shoot over a 400 grain arrow already anyways.

Whats the specs on your bow and whats the arrow weight?

It's a hand-me-down from my dad, so it's a few years old. It's a PSE, around a 65lb draw weight, and I'm shooting Carbon Express arrows...not sure of the weight, I'll have to check.

I'm fairly new to bow hunting, I've got a couple years under my belt, but I've hunted with a gun a lot more. I enjoy bow hunting, and go a lot, but I'm not totally crazy about it (gear-wise) like a lot of guys. Hopefully in a couple years I'll buy a new bow.

being that most of us use plastic fletching which weigh more than feathers. a bit heavier head will balance an arrow better. now if you add in any kind of cresting, its is even more important to use a heavier head.for those of you that typically use a 100 grain head, try a 125. it might help your groups

I dont know about that man. I shoot my arrows with wraps, blazers, and my hunting arrows all have lighted knocks In them. I can straight stack some arrows.

Originally Posted By: borkonbeing that most of us use plastic fletching which weigh more than feathers. a bit heavier head will balance an arrow better. now if you add in any kind of cresting, its is even more important to use a heavier head.for those of you that typically use a 100 grain head, try a 125. it might help your groups

Yep. Same here, minus the lighted nocks. I just started shooting 100 grain G5 Strikers and can cut the nads off a gnat at 30 yards.

I shoot the same weight as broad head as my field tips. Which is 100 grains that way I try to get them both to shoot the same. That way I don't have to change much when I shoot in leagues durning the winter.

Originally Posted By: Merritt79I shoot the same weight as broad head as my field tips. Which is 100 grains that way I try to get them both to shoot the same. That way I don't have to change much when I shoot in leagues durning the winter.

Yes. What I'm getting at is how did you arrive at that weight to begin with? It seems to be the most popular weight, so I'm guessing many people use 100gr for that reason alone.

I have a program that I use to let me know where I need to be if I am over spined or under spined. I am all for speed the lighter arrow the faster and flater it shoots. Even an archery shop can help you determine where you want to be. Thats kind of your preference point from there. Then off of that you choose either you want to use a heavy grain or a lighter grain tip. You don't want to go too heavy or too light either. Thats how I get my broad heads. Hopefuly this helps better.

Last edited:
my bow is a old golden eagle bow with wooden limbs, its an older bow so it is not as fast as the bows we have now adays, with that said i try to get a lighter arrow and not a real big broadhead so i can make up for it in speed, now because my bow is not extremely fast i use a 10 yard sight as well as a 20, i tend to not shoot past 20 because i dont beleive my bow has got enough speed beyond 20 to butter through! so if you have a newer bow even a pse then it realy depends on what size broadhead you feel comfortable with

Originally Posted By: Merritt79I have a program that I use to let me know where I need to be if I am over spined or under spined.

Same here, I use TAP.

Back