Are all coyotes "callable"?

Yotesalot

A buddy and I have been arguing this question for a few seasons now.. What do you guys believe? Can all coyotes be fooled somehow? Whether they have been called in before or not? And Have any of you ever called the same coyote in multiple times?

I think that they can all be fooled. It might take a while if you educate one but he'll eventually be hungry enough or territorial enough to be tricked. Different sounds, location, and time of calling will be a big factor but I don't think that any dog is uncallable. I have been busted by the same dog twice but only calling once. He busted me the second time while walking into stand. I'll be at him again pretty soon.

IMO, very few coyotes can resist coyote pup distress, especially when it is mingled in with a Coyote/Fox fight. It works any time of year. If a coyote has been educated to danger being associated with a particular sound in a particular place, you may have trouble calling him in with that exact setup again, but he will come if you give him a little time and approach from a different angle, etc.

Yes, I believe they can be.
And yes, I have called in the same coyote more than once. A few years ago, in my Dad's pasture, I called the same coyote 3 times over the course of a month. And this coyote had been shot at on each of the first two occasions. How do I know it was the same one? It only had 3.5 legs (one front leg was missing it's foot), & it had a pronounced white chest area.

Some are 'educated' more than others, but they can be called.

Case in -point: My hunting partner has been 'working' on a family unit for a year now. He has pitched anything and everything(except turkey calls) at them to no avail(digital and mouth calls).

He challenged me take a crack at them, so, I took him up on it.

Got setup, put the FX5 at 30 yards in a two acre open patch in a russian olive grove, waited 10 minutes, hit 'lost hen' at vol. 15 for 3 minutes, then switched to 'excited hen' at vol 20. 5 minutes later I see what I think is a deer following two fawns in the trees. Next thing I know? its two coyotes being tailed by a whitetail doe. the bi%^ stayed in the trees and the old dog came out at 150 yards for a look see. Had him dead to rights. NOT a good shot so I held off and he eventually meandered back to momma and the pups. No foul, no errors, no hits, no home run. Still there. Gotta get a hen turkey decoy now and call them from a different spot. My partner was fit to be tied.

I believe ALL coyotes can be called. You just need the right inticement to make them respond.

I've argued that yes you can. He believes that for the smart coyote: unless the coyote has what ever is screaming in his mouth, When it hears a distress it runs or ignores it. He thinks I underestimate the old ones.. I say what about coyote vocalizations? He says they'll figure that out too.. It's s stretch ..

Originally Posted By: Super White HunterThat one could be a exception because I am sure he was hungry

While there is truth in the statement above, I was only using the story as an example.
There's been many other times/coyotes over the years.

Originally Posted By: Yotecallra coyote can't reason or structure logic

Are you sure they can't?
wink.gif

I'll differ on whether they can "reason" or are incapble of any logic. Interestinly enough a canine has the same brain anatomy as a human. I believe their brain to be "primative" compared to ours. But functions the same, regardless.

Fact is no one can prove with total FACT. Canines can NOT reason. Most believe it is all "positive vs negative stimuli". As to what they know, have learned or are only capable of. Well prove your stance.

I called one in the other day. That got with in 40 yds of me. I saw him when he saw me. I never got a shot so I never fired. I think to the Coyote, the Human was looking for his rabbit and next time he will make double sure the Human is not around before he comes in. I think he will come next time and I will have to set up better because he will be a little more wary. If I had shot that would be a different story.

Yotecallr, look at the anatomy of a human brain, & compare that to a canine. Other than shape[to fit the skull, ya know].

You will see the same structures. Call me crazy, but I figure those specific structures do the same thing whether...animal or human. BUT, on different levels mind you. After all coyotes is animals?, eh. Hmmmmm, Now that I think about it. SO are some humans. OH neverrrRRRrrr mind LOL!

Last edited:
Back