Hunting Northern Arizona in the Summer

Salmo22

I normally put my coyote gear away for the summer in March/April and don't get it out again until September/October. It just gets to stinking hot in the desert. I was camping with family last weekend in the White Mountains and had coyotes howling near our camp every evening.

It got me to thinking that I might be missing opportunities to extend my predator hunting in the summer by focusing on the cooler climates up north. Accordingly, I'm wondering if there are many Arizona hunters working the northern part of the state during the summer months?

My buddy hunts up there a lot but not too much in the summer. He says they respond to turkey the best. If I could make it up there during the summer I'd hit em.

Originally Posted By: AzRednekRabbitMy buddy hunts up there a lot but not too much in the summer. He says they respond to turkey the best. If I could make it up there during the summer I'd hit em.
I would not have thought of using a turkey sound - very interesting. In past years I've hunted deer/elk in the White Mountains and seen some very large coyotes. On a couple of occasions, I would of sworn I was looking at a wolf or coyote on steroids. If I had not been worried about spooking the deer/elk in the vicinity, I would have taken several of these brutes.

Maybe I need to put some time in exploring the area to see what is really going on.

Last edited:
He told me that when he uses his regular distress sounds he doesn't have much luck but found out when turkey hunting that the coyotes come rollin' in lookin' for a turkey dinner. Let me know how it goes up there.

Watch out that the very big coyotes dont turn out to be lobo wolves. That is where the wolf release area is you know.

Originally Posted By: Harvey7Watch out that the very big coyotes dont turn out to be lobo wolves. That is where the wolf release area is you know.

That's gunna be a mess for sure.

i love hunting up north in the summer months, I usually go around 4th of July and then in August as well. But there is alot of area to hunt around Flagstaff, Prescott is usually cooler this time of year as well. You can try Williams, Ash Fork and Selligman as well. Antelope Fawn Distress works great. Im going to Pinetop next month for week on vacation and ill probably take all my gear then. Good luck

Cottonwood isn't as far up but it's an awesome little spot. That's where we had the two run by so close we could have grabbed them by the tails. They back doored us literally jumping over the bushes it was so thick.

I spoke with a acquaintance this evening who is from Alpine. He says that the east side of Escudilla Mountain is lousy with coyotes, bobcat and lion. He said that the closer to the New Mexico border the better.

I'm going up there the first of September for a in-law family reunion. I will definately be taking my predator goodies to see what I can hustle-up. If nothing else, I've got a lion tag that is getting older by the minute.

St. Johns is pretty close to NM and that place is full of coyotes. I mean FULL. It's literally the best place I ever called. One of the ranchers is having trouble with wild dogs too.

Originally Posted By: rezdogGet yourself a navajo nation license and you got yourself some awesome calling also.

How much is that license? I know it ain't too much.

Back