Using a GPS for trapping

Tactical .20

I was thinking of getting a Garmin Dakota 20 GPS for locating sets and seeing the trails, and state and BLM boundries. Any one have this one or a simular one for trapping? Do they come with the offroad trails on the maps? The BLM boundries on them?

T,

I have a Garmin Rhino 630 CX that I use for coyote and deer hunting and trapping. but I only trap private land so I can't help you with the state boundary issue. you can visit the websites or email them to see which ones do have that info. just remember, you get what you pay for and it would be helpful to have one you can download updated map info from the websites to as it becomes available.

No, most GPS units still just come with a basic global basemap on them. This includes Interstates and Highways, state boundaries, and city names. You mostly see your location on a brown colored background.

If you get a Garmin Oregon with a 't' in the model # you will get some good offroad trail coverage and topo, but certainly no ownership boundaries.

I suppose you need to buy the off road map then, unless like you say it comes with the unit. It seemed like the dirt roads were on my daughter's car Garmin GPS. I doubt she paid a lot for it, but then she works at Best Buy.
How close in feet does it get you to a point on your previous trip?

Back