CA rabbit opener PICS

TripleDeuce660

The pictures speak for themselves. It was a good weekend! Saw a bobcat too. I sat down to wait for this rabbit to step back into the road. I shot the rabbit. When I stood up and walked tward it about 20 yards away I came around a turn in the dirt road there was a bobcat walking away. I think it was stalking the rabbit and I shot it! With the subsonics it wasn't very loud and didn't scare it off.

Luxopeningday209.jpg

I saw some grouse last weekend too. They where way up in the high country just bellow the the tree line in the high sierra. Too bad its a no hunting area.

Luxopeningday195.jpg

Luxopeningday193.jpg

Luxopeningday211.jpg

Luxopeningday153.jpg

Luxopeningday152.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you do out there walk and look for them? Man here jump shooting rabbits mean briar's and blood Mine LOL
must be great to look at that all the time.

This is the first time I have ever really had the oppurtunity to hunt stupid rabbits. It is all the rain this year. We had an ok year last and this year was very good.

at this same spot a few years ago I could walk for literaly 8 hours and see only 1. Now there are like a billion of them running all over the road.

Also I have never hunted in july. There are the highest numbers in july so that might help too.

I have a beagle because like you said rabbits are briars, blood, and beagles. I had to get a beagle so I could consistently bring home the meat. My brush pants have been torn to shreds I have to get some new ones soon!

Quail are insane now too.

Actualy I have seen dozens of rabbits sitting out in some other areas where you cannot hunt.

I just slowly walk down a long straight road the rabbits are sitting in the road and running across. I walk and some times just wait for a while. I must have seen 25 in 3 hours plus a few more driving!

Im loving it! My beagle is going to be have a rabbit and qual festival this fall! my wingshot is better this year i got alot of offseason practice.

I am breaking 2 dogs right now but with the heat it is rough on them scent wise. I have not broke young dogs in years I was lucky to have 3 really good dogs for a good 8 to ten years I lost my last one almost 2 seasons ago thought I would just stop running NOT LOL

I can't wait to build a pack! My [beeep] goes into heat in november like prime rabbit season and she has been out of commision from cougar attack and some other stuff. Then I'd always have a hound ready to go if one is injured and together they should be able to hold a better line and keep em circling.

cougar attack? I like 3 dogs better than 2 if they are good pac dogs and run the same the rabbits has a hard time looseing them. if they are different speeds and different on the checks or do not hark to each other that can make a long day LOL I run 13's and this little female is more like 12.

Cougar attack! dang

yeah cougar are out of control here in CA. It was just a spot where I run the dog you can't hunt it was by some houses in the hills. I heard it bite the dog in the neck and I yelled. Then we stared at eachother for about a half an hour in the pitch dark. I was unarmed. It wasn't much fun so i haven't been back to that spot. now I carry a sidearm but i can't have it around here.

Last edited:
Nice shooting with open sights! That terrain is just amazing! I guess that is why folks like to live in California. It is a beautiful state.

Great pics man, thanks for sharing. You have some gorgeous country there, consider yourself lucky...

BTT for HOM nomination...

Last edited:
CA does have some really nice MTNS and desert. However the nice spots like in that picture are very far away. The spot in the picture is about a 5 hour drive with no traffic and 8 hours with traffic. Then you have to hike 5 miles starting at 10,000 feet and going up as high as you care to hike. from these lakes you could summit a few of the 14,000 foot peaks but they are all 2 days hikes.also you cannot have firearms in most of these wilderness areas or even a camp fire for that matter. Oh and you have to pack out all your toilet paper its a huge fine if you leave your toilet paper. Most the nice spots have TONS of people.

I prefer other states, like colorado, montana, wyoming,oregon, idaho. Those states have amazing mtns and VERY few people out there.

CA aint' too bad. The bird hunting is top notch in years when we get rain. I flush valley and mtns quail also chukar like by the hundreds all mixed in one cover in some areas!

what really sucks is the hunting and gun laws. The lead ban zone sucks! Also starting in feb. we can't order any more ammo online. That makes my 10mm glock basicaly obsolete and all the .22lr i shoot can only be found online basicaly. I actualy order all my ammo online with my cabelas points from my credit card. Someone should take arnold out back and shoot him cuz he signed that ammo law and not to mention running our state so far in the hole we are laying off teachers, fire, and police.

Last edited:
well heck I never heard of hunter of the month. since you guys liked my pics so much I have a bunch more here are a few of my personal favorites and you can check out all my pictures at photobucket. http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p27/plantshaman/

Hunting coyote first day with my tikka t-3 and my G-20 in the chest rig.
Luxopeningday002.jpg

You won't be seeing this one without 4x4 about 100 miles from anything in Hovenweep National Monument. No tourists out here.
co75.jpg

I'm headed over the top. 13,000 feet on the second highest road in colorado in an almost stock ford ranger 4x4. Just some big tires, traction bars, factory LS thats about it.

An suv had slid off the road on our way up one tire hanging off a cliff and stuck. It killed a family of offroaders a few years ago. There was an oncoming vehicle so they moved to the edge of the 1 lane road to allow passing. They got too close to the edge. The road gave out and over the cliff they went.

I got literaly thousands of miles on these sort of roads hunting, fishing, and exploreing. Many people are idiots from the city in a rental and they don't look ahead and wait in safe passing spots. One jerk started down a section in the sierra in a huge suburban when he saw me comeing up. The downhill traffic always yields first and has to reverse uphill on single lane. When we where unable to pass on the shelf road he refused to obey the law and back up. Reverse downhill is the most dangerous offroading situation! It took a bunch of yelling and curseing before the jerk backed up. I never even knew the guy was comeing you can't see good going up hill or I'd of waited in a turneout. People are in a huge hurry but these roads where not built with safety in mind they where made mostly by miners with donkeys and carts. Always pass safely and stay away from eroded edges with big drop offs!

There was an insane amount of whistle pigs up here I would have loved to hunt them! However no fishing all the streams are red poison water from the mines in the whole area. CA has way better fishing every creek has has fish.

silverton68.jpg

imogene12.jpg

imogene14.jpg

Meet the best dang upland beagle ever! she does rabbits, quail, chukar flushes and fetches with a soft mouth!I haven't lost one since I got her!

closeingday2010020.jpg

She fetched up my first chukar last year, got the quail out of the same covey.
Franchi48ALfirstkill212-1.jpg

Franchi48ALfirstkill229.jpg

Got my first mtn quail same day as the chukar. Dog found this one too.
rockymtnnationalparktohomeandhun-3.jpg

Last edited:
Shot this photo with a tripod while camping in oregon hunting coyote and rabbits. I was out there 3 months good lord october november is cold in a tent! The song dogs where howling on this full moon! The high thin clouds created amazing color. A moonbow I guess you could call it. 10 degrees and changeing into camo in the morning is insane but after almost two weeks hunting it all came together for my first coyote!

oregon252.jpg

Called it in like 20 feet away and shot it. His buddy hung up at the edge of the clearing. This male was huge. I'm 6'1 and when I held the hind legs at my chin it's nose almost touched the ground.
oregon279.jpg

oregon123.jpg

I've only been hunting about 5 years! I'm off to a great start and forums like this have been a huge help!

527firstcoyote002.jpg

I'm getting hungry thinking about all these birds and rabbits!

Myfirstrabbit001.jpg

A few more of Comifornia

112_1202.jpg

115_1522.jpg

The Brook Trout in this drainage have exceptional color, best i've ever seen in the Sierra.
mammothlakes001.jpg

Thanks for looking hope you enjoyed them all!

111_1154.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome photos Triple Deuce! I would agree you are off to an excellent start in your hunting journey. I love your pup, did you give her any special training to get her on birds as well as rabbits?

Oh and congrats on that large male thats a nice dog.

Originally Posted By: leveractionjunkieAwesome photos Triple Deuce! I would agree you are off to an excellent start in your hunting journey. I love your pup, did you give her any special training to get her on birds as well as rabbits?

Oh and congrats on that large male thats a nice dog.

To get the dog on birds was easy. Its about brainwashing, consistency, and food. For example I shot a quail. I kept a wing. First when I shot it I let her get a mouthful and kep saying QUAIL loud and firm. Then once or twice a day I would hold it under her nose and say quail. While she was sleeping sometimes I hold it under her nose and say quail softly for like 20 minutes non stop. I also of course tie the dog up so she can be 6 inches from getting the bird then clean and have her watch as I put it in the pot. When its down she watches me remove it from the pot, shred it, and put it in her bowl. She doesn't get many treats just dry food and game.

Then teach the dog to fetch a ball but make sure you always say fetch every single time and say it alot. combine the name of what you want her to fetch. Fetch quail, fetch fur, fetch ball etc...Now, while your teaching fetch at times the ball will go in a bush or whatever and you can see your dog is searching for it. During this time give the FIND or HUNT command. Just say find over and over every time you see she is searching. Reward her when she finds it with good find or whatever. Eventualy she figures it out. I can combine the word find with numerous objects like my wife i say find mommy.

last week I taught her to sit on my lap and when I say HUG put her front paws around my neck and already I can tell her HUG MOMMY and she will get off my lap go over to my wife jump in her lap and give the wife a hug.

Its all about brain washing thru consistentcy. Sometimes for words with more sylables you should shorten it. Like rabbit is too long I call it FUR.

I imagine I could train her to hunt anything all I have to do is shoot one for her to smell and give it a name.

also helps I lived with my pup 24/7 in oregon on my hunting and fishing trip for 3 months right when I got her. She just needs a pack to learn from.

update:

I went to the same spot on august 1st its only been 4 weeks. No more rabbits sitting in the road. We saw one in about 3 hours sitting out. We kicked a few out of the brush.They have been eaten, hunted, and educated i think. Plus I think they where heavy into the mateing and maybe now less mateing.

THe quail are no longer in family groups they are forming coveys now.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660update:

I went to the same spot on august 1st its only been 4 weeks. No more rabbits sitting in the road. We saw one in about 3 hours sitting out. We kicked a few out of the brush.They have been eaten, hunted, and educated i think. Plus I think they where heavy into the mateing and maybe now less mateing.

THe quail are no longer in family groups they are forming coveys now.

Awesome photos thanks for sharing them and your story because some of our eyes would never see if it wasn't for your generosity. Thanks.

-Juanjo

Back