243 vs. 243 WSSM

Trapper Luke

Alright so I was gonna go with a 22-250 for my 2nd go to yote gun and for a varmint rifle that I can take them 400-600 yard shots with but thinkin now Im gonna go with the 243 since they can buck the wind a better and hit harder at them distances. Anyways for all you experts out there if you had the choice of a plain jane 243 or a 243 WSSM which one would it be and why?

Guess I might have swayed your opinion some. I love my .243, and you wouldn't NEED more than that. From what I understand the WSSM's burn barrels faster. I like to go to the range and make the gongs sing and such as well as hunt. Plus, I am a broke college student so I can't afford replacing barrels.

However, I really want an AR! And, I was thinking when I can afford one I'd really like a .243, but I don't really want an AR-10 platform cause of the weight and cost. So I figured that I could get a .243WSSM AR-15 upper and by the time I can afford a $900+ upper I'll have the cash for reloading so I'd load my bullets at more standard .243win speeds.

I could always cook up a few full on hot .243WSSM rounds if I feel the need to launch things at 4000fps or whatever they get out of them, but I'm not a speed-demon when it comes to hunting or shooting.(Driving is a different story)

I have a Dtech 243 WSSM and stick with heavier bullets (100 gr) and slower powder (H450). The heavy bullets buck the wind better than lighter ones at longer ranges anyway. Muzzle velocities run about 100 fps faster than the .243 Win. with this combination and since I use only for deer and coyote hunting at my age (74), I'm not too concerned w/having to replace a barrel. Shucks, I quit buying green bananas a couple of years back
wink.gif

As knockemdown stated, if I wanted a bolt gun, I'd stick w/the 243 Win. as ammo more commonly available and easier to load for, but the WSSM is great on an AR platform.

Regards,
hm

Alright question I got now is the accuracy between the AR and bolt action? If I shoot out to 400-600 yards which I plan on doin how will the AR compare to the bolt action at that distance? I've been told that Semi Autos arent suppose to be as accurate as the bolt action but havent been around AR's to really compare for myself.

Quote:I've been told that Semi Autos arent suppose to be as accurate as the bolt action but havent been around AR's to really compare for myself.

Old wives tale. The AR's will hold their own.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996 Shucks, I quit buying green bananas a couple of years back
wink.gif

internet classic right there.............

I agree .243 in a bolt gun, .243 WSSM in an AR. Burning up barrels is, in my opinion something that happens on the internet more than it actually happens in real life.

I know plenty of folks that have burned barrel so I know its not a just an internet story.

As far as AR's not being accurate they may not be as accurate if your trying to win a bench rest comp., but they'll shoot sub MOA just fine. If you need better accuracy than that you'd better start looking at custom built competition rifles. At the 400-600 yrds your talking about I wouldn't see any problem killing yotes or other varmints. At those ranges I'd guess reading the wind to be the problem. As far as keeping the rounds on target you should be fine.

The real question is can you see that far? I know I can hit the gongs out there, but after 400yrds your talking small targets and a whole lot of drop. I'm not saying you can't do it, but just that I've limited myself to 300yrds most of the time and 400yrds when I'm real practiced up. I definitely want some high quality glass with at least 18x magnification, and a real solid rest. Prone would even be better, but my back don't allow that.

Alright answers my question but ya Im not into shootin paper or anything like that. Only time I shoot paper is when Im sighting in my guns, all the rest the shots are at something alive. I do plan on putting a good Leupold or Zeiss on whatever I end up gettin so I can shoot out to them distances.

Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987I know plenty of folks that have burned barrel so I know its not a just an internet story.

As far as AR's not being accurate they may not be as accurate if your trying to win a bench rest comp., but they'll shoot sub MOA just fine. If you need better accuracy than that you'd better start looking at custom built competition rifles. At the 400-600 yrds your talking about I wouldn't see any problem killing yotes or other varmints. At those ranges I'd guess reading the wind to be the problem. As far as keeping the rounds on target you should be fine.

The real question is can you see that far? I know I can hit the gongs out there, but after 400yrds your talking small targets and a whole lot of drop. I'm not saying you can't do it, but just that I've limited myself to 300yrds most of the time and 400yrds when I'm real practiced up. I definitely want some high quality glass with at least 18x magnification, and a real solid rest. Prone would even be better, but my back don't allow that.

If you read what I wrote you would notice ...I just said it happens more on the net than in real life. I did not say it never happens. Since the OP was planning on hunting/shooting coyotes my thought would be unless you shot truck loads of coyotes you probably be ok with the WSSM.

You know plenty of folks who "burn" up barrels huntin coyotes ?

If you reload id do a .243 AI instead of the wssm in a bolt action. If you dont reload then the standard .243 will do fine, but id shoot alot of paper regardless of the caliber before i tried 400 yards on a live target.

Originally Posted By: Savage_Fan2If you reload id do a .243 AI instead of the wssm in a bolt action. If you dont reload then the standard .243 will do fine, but id shoot alot of paper regardless of the caliber before i tried 400 yards on a live target.

Yah I plan on it

SKB: I didn't call you out I just mentioned in passing that barrel burnout does happen.

First off, you would need a fair amount of trigger time to pull off 400-600yrd shots in field. as Savage Fan2 states.

Second, from what I understand a .243wssm and most of the short mags are extreme examples of how to burn out a barrel. Lots of powder and smaller bores is the ideal way to burn a barrel. I never said that I know lots of people that burn barrels shooting game, I just said a know folk who have burned barrels. I also know folks that have shot out an AR trigger group. Firearms are machines that wear down just like any other machine.

The OP also said that he was going to use it to shoot varmints which could mean prairie dogs. If you know many folks that shoot the pdog than you know you can usually get a barrel as hot as you'd like and probably a WHOLE LOT HOTTER!

Go bicker with someone who is as into useless arguments as you.

Sorry to anyone looking for useful information.

Last edited:
Get what you want ,burn up the barrel and have a new one screwed on.

Just like putting tires on a truck ,they don't last forever.

The average joe will have a time burning up a barrel in any cal.

BTW ...my vote is bolt gun 243/243ai.

Last edited:
I wasnt trying to be smart. In an earlier post you said that you sight in then shoot at live targets. All im getting at is it takes alot to make those kinds of shots in the field and I really doubt that I could make a shot on a coyote much past 250-300 yards. A coyote has around a 6 inch vital target chest shot/broadside and if youre trying headshots then thats about an egg sized target thats nearly always moving. Add to that at 500+ yards nearly every flat shooting caliber bullet drops about 40 inches give or take and will drift who knows how far if you cant read the wind. On a side note Ive noticed alot of people are talking about shooting 400, 500, and 600 yards plus like its nothing. Sorry if i offended you but when shooting beyond 200 yards alot comes into play. Good luck with your rifle build.

Last edited:
Seems to me he was agreeing with out Savage Fan. I don't think you caused offense.

BTW Trapper Luke has a post in the AR section about getting an AR built. So it seems he has a plan.

Yah Savage I didnt mean to sound like I took any offense to your post I completly understand what you was getting at and totally agree with you too. I just ment that I'm not into the competive shootin paper or targets is all. I know it'll take quite a bit of shooting before I can make them 500 yard shots.

Sorry about the misunderstanding on my part. Ive tried giving advice here before and some people not get what im saying. Its monday no harm no foul. Im here to make friends and offer my advice. Good luck with whaterver action/caliber you decide.

Back