Remington 11-87 sportsman cycling problem

Breacher

Last spring I went on a South Dakota pheasant and snow goose hunt. I purchased a new Remington 11-87 Sportsman, 12 ga. It can shoot 2 3/4 or 3" shells. I was using the Kent Fasteel in 3" BB. I had problems with the gun cycling the shells. The gun was oiled well. I had shot it before but only 2 3/4" shells at the range.Had no problems then. This was first time with the 3" shells. The gun would fire and eject the spent shell, the new shell would lodge in the receiver/ejection port and appeared as if there was some contact with the top of the shell and the top/inside of the receiver. Has anyone has experienced this type of problem? Is it a new gun issue and it will wear in or a manufacturer issue? Thanks for your help.

breacher

If you hit the side of the action will it load ?

Had a 11-87 super mag do that. The shell would just sit there on the carrier,one tap and it would go.

I fixed mine.....I sold it.

I was afraid of this response. Couldn't afford the SBE so I figured the 11-87 was good for the money. I'll call up Remington and see what they can do. This is where they will keep or loose a customer....

Last edited:
Breacher,

Not to worry. I sold my SBE and purchased a Rem. 11-87.
Been very happy with the decision. Benelli has it's own
issues, with just about any shotgun with their name on it,
as does Remington. I got tired of having a +$1000 single shot,
and Benelli got one trip back to Italy to fix it. I waited
for freaking ever to get it back. Something about the whole
country taking July off, added to the delay. I do have a
Beretta 3901, in 20 ga., that I really like...Oh wait that
one is made in the US.
laugh.gif

On a more tactical note, I have a couple of questions for you.
Have you tried a different brand of 3" load? Sometimes the
empty hulls are cut a bit long, and have this issue. Also,
have you disassembled the stock, and cleaned the bolt return
spring, follower, and housing? The spring and tube gunked up
is the most common cause of cycling issues with the Rem.
1100/11-87 family of shotguns. This open tube is the only
real kick against this design. The newer gas systems have a
piston, and contain the gas and fouling, there by eliminating
gunk from migrating into the action. With the 1100/11-87
family of shotguns, one has to keep the shotgun clean,
including this spring and housing in the stock. Beretta and
Browning current models have gas piston systems that keep
fouling out of the action.

Squeeze

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BreacherLast spring I went on a South Dakota pheasant and snow goose hunt. I purchased a new Remington 11-87 Sportsman, 12 ga. It can shoot 2 3/4 or 3" shells. I was using the Kent Fasteel in 3" BB. I had problems with the gun cycling the shells. The gun was oiled well.
Therein lies the problem. 11-87's are notorious for needing less and not more oil. The is compounded by shooting in an environment that is cold which causes the gun to cyle slowly or poorly. Break it completely down clean everything and use a dry spry lube rather than oil and see where that gets you.
Rick

Tim,
I've got a Premier also and love it. They are a great gun for upland hunting and skeet shooting and with any luck I hope to find one like my 12ga in 20ga someday.
Rick

Originally Posted By: mallardshootTim,
I've got a Premier also and love it. They are a great gun for upland hunting and skeet shooting and with any luck I hope to find one like my 12ga in 20ga someday.
Rick

thumbup.gif

Back