I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!!

You DO NOT inject Lactated Ringers UNDER the skin. It IS an I.V.[intravenous fluid]. Used commonly for Hypovolemia ie; To HYDRATE a [human or mammal] because of fluid OR blood loss. Such as, in trauma.

Injecting LR under the skin, will NOT disperse the fluid to the vital organs & tissues. To sustain B.P/[Blood Pressure], perfuse organs & reduce Metabolic Acidosis. I.V. fluids are just that, used IN the VEINS, not over or on top of the veins/[or under their fur].

I was a medic for 17yrs. Had I given LR to trauma pts I assisted. Et NOT injected LR INTO their veins. It would NOT of helped them at all.
When an animal or human has great body fluid loss[water, plasma, blood, ect]. They need fluid replenishment IN their veins, not on top of their veins.

Last edited:
BTW Ben, my comments above are not aimed at you. Just so you know
wink.gif

So, how is Tank doing? I am crossing my fingers for him and your son. It's a sad situation all the way around, but heartbreaking when you add a kid into the mix.

Originally Posted By: ajneal30So, how is Tank doing? I am crossing my fingers for him and your son. It's a sad situation all the way around, but heartbreaking when you add a kid into the mix.
No news is good news I guess.
unsure.gif

just had to put my pup down. parvo can live in the ground for 10 years. only sure way to not get it is to give them all their shots. i know how your feelin tony it sucks big time. my pup was showin promise and i'll say was the smartest five month old dog i've ever seen.

Originally Posted By: cawilson82just had to put my pup down. parvo can live in the ground for 10 years. only sure way to not get it is to give them all their shots. i know how your feelin tony it sucks big time. my pup was showin promise and i'll say was the smartest five month old dog i've ever seen.
Was he one of Tonys?

Sorry to hear of all the sad news Tony. All those pups were beautiful.
Is Parvo more common in warm climates because I've never even heard of any pups dying here ever? I remember reading on PM how it causes some kind of infertility in coyote populations for years.

Daang Tony. I hate to hear that buddy... Parvo is the worst thing I have ever seen. When I was growing up, we had bred our female coon dog to a grand nit champion dog, to try and make some money on the pups and keep a couple for ourselves. The litter of 8 came and they were beautiful pups. At about a month old, I went to feed them and noticed a bad smell around their pen. And sure enough two pups looked horrible and were barely moving around. We took all pups out of the pen and put the healthy looking ones in one new pen and the sick ones we took in the house. The two died a few hours later. Then about a week later 4 of the remaining 8 came down with it and died the day after. This left two. One of the two turned out to be the best coon hound I ever had and lived a full life. The other abruptly died at about 8 months with no symptoms prior.
Parvo is a terrible thing and I've heard that once exposed, even if they make it, they are never the same. I'll never forget the unusual smell and how pitiful those pups looked.
We used to spray clorox water over the entire area about 3/4 gal to 1/4 gal of water to try and kill off the remaining parvo. Dont know if it worked long term however as we never put pups back in that area again.
Again, sure hate to hear it buddy.

Stacy

I appreciate it guys. I have one survivor left from the litter. She is one that is already sold to a PM member and I'm training her till November. She got really skinny, but pulled out of it. She's just about fattened back up and already running with the big dogs on tracks.

I talked with other houndsmen in the area that have had to deal with the level of parvo around here. I got some solid advice on what works for prevention and will make this same cross again, when Mattie comes back into heat. Hope I don't run into this again, as it took a toll on me.

Thanks again.

Tony

Tony, I take it they didn't their get Parvo vacs when they were little. Just something to keep in mind next time.
smile.gif

Good luck with the next litter!
thumbup.gif

Ben

Ben,

I actually gave them 3 series of 7-way shots. Next time, I'm going with straight parvo shots for the first 2 sessions, then switch to 7-way for the 3rd.

Tony

Lets have some more info. Did the vet vaccinate them? What brand of vaccine? Modified live or killed?

Then we'll know what to stay away from

Tony yes parvo is a huge pain and we suffer no less this end with it.My buddy Trevor Filmer raises hounds as well and he has been administering half the 5 or 6 in one inoculation at 3 weeks after birth and the rest at about 6 to 8 weeks then they get the normal follow up shots.

I have neglected often to follow up on adult dogs after one year because of the cost factor - between 30 and 50 hounds and pups add up. Though I have hardly ever had an adult go down with parvo once the initial shots have been done.

When I am flush I will do all adults yearly anyway just to keep the bug out of the kennels.

We have a product called Vircon S which is a potent disinfectant and use it all over if we have an outbreak of parvo to help prevent spreading the virus. Clothing , footwear , kenneling all get treated with it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Roy Sparks.

Back