Coyote traps.

t20 no way is a bolt/nut more consitant as you have wax,rust and other factors that mess with a bolt setup, the PIT system will give you around 3.5lbs of pan tension on a #3 coil with light beefer srpings. The pan tension is all controlled by the pan leg design, not much you can do to really change it much. But I prefer that 3.5lbs for non targets and deep catches on coyotes. I would get the ones with the round dogs and not the flat stock unless you want to reenforce the flat dogs as coyotes will bend them up.

Very consistant pan tension and much tougher than a stcok pan and single mounting system.

Last edited:
So just installing the pan on the pin, the clamping hold of the pan makes the pan tension? How is that consistant between all the traps? Guess I need to see one up close. Ah, hadn't seen the post by CO guy before I wrote this.

Last edited:
T20 the pan free falls thereis zero pan tension directly related to how hard the pan is attached to the spring pin.

The pan tension comes from the design of the pan period, look at a side profile and see that the angles are far different on the pan legs,it is all a mechanical things with the shape and design.

So every pan will free fall but when used with the dog and the springs of your trap all that adds to the pan tension.

The round dogs are not bent at all, so on most 4 coil traps your going to get 3 - 3.5 lbs of tension.

As I said, forget the flat dog ones as coyotes just bend the snot out of them get the heavy round dog PIT kits.

DSC02444.jpg

DSC02445.jpg

Last edited:
Bridgers #2's and MB 550 OS. Nightlatch your bridgers....there is a tutorial on trapperman.com if you don't know how....I'm doing something right cause I get deep foot catches with my Bridgers. just started using the MB's and caught a domestic. didn't get to see that one cause this guy was walking his dog through the woods and it crossed the property line and made a bee line for my coyote gland lure......dog goes nuts and bites the owner who is trying to get it out of the trap. they call the sheriff and the DNR........always somethin'

Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer a good old double long spring #4.

I've got half a dozen Victor number fours that must be going on 50 years old.

But they still take their fair share of coyotes and bobcats every year.

i'm with you justin, i like a #4 newhouse but i got jumped on for using them on here, but like you, they are still catching coyotes

Back