Mueller Scope?

howling

How are the Mueller scopes rated in comparison to the Nikon? Where are the mueller scopes made? I know I get what I pay for so have you had any luck with the Mueller scopes?

Howling,
here's what I understand about the manufacturing process of Muellers. They were designed in Germany, the parts are made in different countries (Rich of Mueller won't tell me), the glass is multi-coated Jap glass (good stuff), the scopes are assembled in China and shipped & distributed to Mueller in Michigan. I know I know, China is a bad word, BUT even Nikon is having some of their scopes made in China now. It's hard to get away from anything being made in China, unless of course you want to pay the big bucks for a Leupold, Schmidt & Bender, Doctor or Swarovski. For the money, they're pretty hard to beat for the optics are clear as a bell. I've had folks tell me the glass is pretty close to the Leupold VXII series. They're shockproof, waterproof, fogproof and Rich at Mueller really stands behind his product. They have a lifetime warranty for the original owner, so sometimes you may have to produce a receipt. Hope this helps,
Dennis

I had 1 and won't own another 1, the glass sucked in low light and the AO ring came loose from the front. I glued it back together and gave it away. I let a dealer talk me into trying it instead of buying a Leupold, Ya you get what you pay for that's for sure.

Trying to decide on Mueller or Nikon scopes. I'm going to try one of the scopes on a AR-15 and see how it shoots and decide weather to keep the AR or get ride of it...LOL. I don't to put the higher end scopes on a rifle until I know it is a shooter so it's between these 2 brands. Thank you for your help on the scopes.

Originally Posted By: howlingTrying to decide on Mueller or Nikon scopes. I'm going to try one of the scopes on a AR-15 and see how it shoots and decide weather to keep the AR or get ride of it...LOL. I don't to put the higher end scopes on a rifle until I know it is a shooter so it's between these 2 brands. Thank you for your help on the scopes.

I keep a couple of different Leupolds on my shelf for that exact same purpose.
Trying to wring accuracy out of a rifle can be frustrating enough let alone adding cheap optics to the equation.

I have never personaly owned a Mueller scope but a couple of my buddies have had them in the past and we all used them at one time or another and i am not impressed with them at all. They are a decent enough scope for the money but for just a little bit more cash you can get a much better scope.
As was already mentioned, you get what you pay for. And I could care less about a lifetime warranty from most companies any more. If you have a piece of crap to begin with who cares about a warranty, I would rather spend my hard earned money on a quality product to start with and not have to worry about anything.

I am no longer impressed with Nikon, Burris and many other supposed "good brand name" optics. All of this China crap is just that, crap.
Leupold scopes are made in America and have the best warranty in the business. If you don't want to drop that kind of cash buy a new Redfield but realize that they are not the same quality as their parent company...

What do you have for an AR15?

Last edited:
I just purchased a RRA Varmint. I got to wait for it and not good at waiting...LOL. I got better scopes on the higher end but this new AR and me are still IFFY. Might keep it might not.

I have a APV, Muellers bottom end scope on a 243 and it has done a great job over the years, very clear glass and tracks well. My B in L has a APV on a heavy barrel Howa 22-250 and it's never let him down. I've been using a Mueller 8x32 30mm SF target scope on my 22 LR Bench rest rifle and like it alot, zero issues with it.

AWS

I have several and just recently put one a 3-9X40 with an German #4 illuminated reticle on my 22-250 that I bought from Dennis. The other two are APVs on a 17HMR and a 17M2. I couldn't be any more please with the amount paid for them. Sure, they're not Leupold. I wouldn't expect them to be as clear as one. Then again I didn't pay 3.5 times the price for Leupold's equivalent at $750. I probably will in the future, I just didn't have the dead presidents at this time.

Good luck with your decision.

Eric

Mueller APVs are probably the most recommended scopes for 22 rimfires on rimfirecentral. I'm not sure how they hold up on centerfire rifles or for long-range use, but if you didn't like it, you could put it on a rimfire or sell it pretty fast on that site.
I don't see many complaints about them, for what that's worth.

I'm just wanting to use a lower end scope to test a new AR to see if it preforms well enough to keep and if it does great, I'll put a high end scope on it just like my bolt actions.

If you're open to trying something else - Try one of the new Redfield Revolutions...I've put a 4-12 with a accu-range reticle on my 24" Bushmaster...was field testing the thing and ended up liking it so much I bought it...
The upside to this is that if anything goes south, Leupold is standing behind it...

Howling, I just put a Mueller All purpose Tactical (APT), 4.5x14 40mm with a 30mm tube on my RRA 20" bbl'd version and love it. It has the mildot reticle, target turrets and the optics are really clear at 100 yds. It's a nice scope for the money ($145 shipped w/a free sunshade) and for an AR is a pretty darn good match.

Here's some good reviews of this scope here
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310135

and it's pretty popular on Snipers Hide forum also.

Dennis

mueller4x14apt.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 4-16 Sport Dot on my 17FB for night hunting foxes. I love the scope for it's purpose. Just the dot lights up at night, doesn't glare like fully illuminated reticles and you can still see the fox. It's optics aren't perfect, but pretty good for a $200 scope. It holds zero and tracks fantastically.

The ONLY problem is when you turn the fast focus eyepiece, there's slop in the threads, causing the whole thing to wiggle. Groups open up to 3". If I screw it in all the way tight, everything isn't quite 100% in focus, but it shoots groups of 1/2". I'll probably send it back, if I get around to it, but as it is, I can live with it. I just use that rifle so much I can't be without it too long.

bownut

Bownut,
Rich of Mueller will probably replace that scope for you. His phone# is 1 888 775 8885 if you'd like to contact them.

Just a suggestion.
Dennis

Back