I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!!

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiQuote:Also be careful what dogs you bring on your place,Parvo gets in the ground, and can haunt you for years.

Now I am confused, I mentioned the ground thing to my Vet. and I am pretty sure that he told me that heat and sunlight kills Parvo.

Just did some reading on it and it can apparently live in the ground for several months under the right conditions.

Get yourself another vet. From my experience, most vets apparently get their veterinary degrees out of a bubble gum machine. If I had my own supply of amoxicylin (sp?) I would hardly ever have to see one.

Parvo can live in dirt for at least a year (here in Willamette Valley, Oregon especially).

Bleach the [beeep] out of the area that the dogs/pups are in or else the problem will continue. Make everyone that enters the area take their shoes off before entering as well, and make sure they wash their hands before handling pups. I'm told that IV fluids is the way to go.

I have always kept my pups off of un-bleached grass/soil until they have completed their vaccinations, and I haven't lost one yet. I think parvo may survive in the house, too. The Parvo rate where I live is amongst the highest in the country from what I understand.

Always vaccinate, and quarantine any new dog for a few weeks. It can take Parvo two weeks to show up from when they contract it.

Last edited:
I seriously appreciate all the advice. I knew my PM brothers would share info that could help. Unfortunately, Runt didn't make it through the night. I will be bleaching the entire kennel area today.

Thanks...Tony

Good grief, I just hate to hear this stuff. I only have a 3 dogs and that stuff scares the crap out of me. I just read that birds can carry Parvo on their feet, and they can obviously fly anywhere, If they land in your yard or worse your dogs water dish, they can contaminate it too.

Scary stuff. Thankfully I have my dogs vaccinated.

Dang it! That bites Tony.
frown.gif
Sorry to hear that.

I had one of my dogs get parvo at 11 months. she didnt make it. However after that I did a ton of reading about it so
i could safely get more dogs. It can live for up to one year on any surface. even in the house. bleach everything. If you have leashes or training collars or anything the dog came in contact with bleach..straight bleach, no dilluting it down. if the pups threw up on something I would recommend getting rid of it if possible. My back yard is just now getting new seed down since I had to bleach it too..
Also I strongly recommend checking out Vargy's website. I learned a ton of helpful tips for treating your dog while still sick. I wish you the best of luck... Make sure to also get all of your other dogs a booster shot even the older ones. I got my old lab two booster shots and now have three dogs with no more cases of parvo. SOrry to hear the bad news. good luck.

From a medical standpoint Parvo is near the equavilent of our flu.
Amoxicillin will take care of some bacteria,,but this is a virus,and it will do nothing for it.

Try to keep the pups,cool and hydrated,,even if its drops of fluid on the tongue.

1 round of I.V fluids when you first notice the signs and symptoms will help a ton,,plus a good vet can prescribe a good anti-emetic...phenergan,,reglan ...they also make a cherry flavored over the counter anti-emetic(ask your pharmacist)....hope this helps.......................X

Originally Posted By: coyotex
Amoxicillin will take care of some bacteria,,but this is a virus,and it will do nothing for it.

I didn't indicate that amoxicillin was a treatment for parvo.....only that every time I have gone to the vet for something, they have prescribed amoxicillin. So if I had my own supply of it, I would not have to take a dog there.

As I said earlier, I have not lost a dog to parvo yet. I guess I should have been more specific, and said that none of my dogs have ever contracted parvo.

Nasty stuff!!!
And a real f'd up way for a good dog to have to die.
Sorry man, clean the heck outa everything.

Sorry to hear the news Tony. I sure wish there was something more I could have done to help. My greatest asset to saving dogs I must admit is my wife. She has cared for sick dogs of mine like they were her own children, but since we have no kids they all seem like our children! She sure has a knack for saving them. Well, I sure feel for ya, and wish you the best of luck.

Not you butcher,,I saw where it was recommended in this post [beeep].

It will do the exact opposite of the desired outcome for the pup,,give it diarrhea...............X

Originally Posted By: coyotexNot you butcher,,I saw where it was recommended in this post [beeep].

It will do the exact opposite of the desired outcome for the pup,,give it diarrhea...............X

I missed that post. Whoops. Thought you were replyng to me. Wasn't trying to be a beep about it if that's was your impression.

Last edited:
Anti biotics. My new pup got it last fall. She spent a week in the vet and pulled through. It will live in the dirt in the area where the dogs were for up to 2 years.

It'll stay in the area longer than that.

Up to 7 years depending on climate.

In some areas I hunt, Parvo has decimated the coyote pup population for some time now. Last year I killed a female coyote with parvo & she was NASTY. I could smell her at 50 yards.
sick.gif

Parvo is no joke, all the old wives tales about cures, are just that. Some guys get lucky, others follow the same advice and all the pups die.
Vaccinate, and bleach everything is the only way to increase your odds.Prevention has proved way better than any (supposed)cure.

A neighbor of mine had a litter of GSP's about 12 years ago, the only pup that survived is the one that they got rid of about 2 weeks before the parvo hit. They lost 7 puppies alltogether, even the one that I had picked out. I was devastated and so were they. Bad stuff indeed.

It's been a very long weekend. The flashy colored male pup that we named Tank and gave our son Dylan has been down with it. I am extremely proud of how Dylan has cared for this sick dog. He has been giving him Pedialyte every hour, on the hour all weekend. Even at 2 or 3 am. I pray that this pup makes it, for my son's sake. He deserves it.

Thanks all...Tony

Back