I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!!

TonyTebbe

I had a gentleman call me yesterday, letting me know that the Gunner pup he bought from me, contracted Parvo yesterday and he had it at the vet and to keep an eye on the rest of the litter.

Well, this morning, two of my female pups are down with it, as well. Of course, one of them had to be my breeder female that I was keeping back and the other was the fiesty runt of the litter. Both were fine yesterday but now lethargic and puking. I had my wife pick up 2 bottles of Pedialyte and I've been shooting syringe fulls of it every hour down their throat.

I've spent $1200 on two house dogs a few years ago, by taking them to the vet for Parvo with a 50/50 chance of survival. I'm hoping I can get these two pups through by myself.

Does anyone else have tricks for getting them through this period?

Sincerely,

Tony

Flip Tony what the heck! This stuff has got to ease up sooner or later, wish I had a tip for ya, but I don't so hang in there.

Hey I have pulled several through. You have to be with them all the time. If they are big enough and you know how get them set up on an IV. You can also inject regular lactated ringers under the skin. If you can get some pedia light in them that will help also. Keeping them hydrated is the biggest key to saving them. Then I would contact your vet and find out what kind of antibiotics you should give them. You can pick up most antibiotics at a vet supply store,most of them are labeled as fish meds but they are the same thing. Start all these things right away and they might pull through.

I appreciate the advice.

Man, this strain of Parvo acts fast. I've been keeping them hydrated with the Pedialyte. Went to the store to buy more and came back to find Annie dead already! The first of the bloody scoures was in the pen, both of them.

This is Annie, just the other day. RIP girl. I'll never know what you would of turned out to be.
frown.gif

Annie3.jpg

Not a happy camper at all today!
mad.gif

Tony

Very sorry tony I feel your pain. I hope the other dog pulls through. We had a bad time with parvo 3 or 4 years ago. Best thing we found was pedia light and hope to god they pull through.

Keep fighting man! If the odds are 50-50 that means the other one is as good as saved. ( I hope ) unfortunately this something that every houndsman will have to deal with sooner or later. Last piece of advice, buy lots and lots of bleach! Cover everything with it several times for the next month. Keep the sick pups in one spot and really hit that area hard when they are better. I would also put a small tub with a little bleach in it to step in and keep from spreading it. It is amazing how long the virus will stay on your place. If you don't clean everything better than good you will never raise another healthy puppy there again.

Thanks guys. This whole area is bad for Parvo. They had to destroy almost every dog at the local pound, due to it. I've lost 6 or 7 good pups from it in the last year.

Thanks for the advice and words.

Tony

I feel for you Tony, I hope that you can pull the other one through, Good Luck.

I once had a old Vet tell me that you should have your female innoculated just a few weeks before you breed her. I never tried it as I quit breeding shortly thereafter.You might want to run that past your vet and see what they say.

Tony, we have saved pups just by getting a big syringe and shooting the ringer under the skin. They will look pretty messed up with all those bubbles under their skin but we have had pretty good luck with it. Shoot it in as many places as you can stick a needle.

They will either make it or they wont but you will save yourself a lot of money.

One thing i have heard is they might never be the dog they were gonna be with the fever that they carry from having parvo....but there is no way of knowing for sure.

Best of luck, jason

Tony sorry for your luck. There is a reason that I VACCINATE MY [beeep],AND ALL PUPS, THE [beeep] A MONTH BEFORE THE PUPS ARE BORN(I keep breeding records), and vaccinate the pups at 4 weeks,6 weeks,and 10 weeks.
It cost me about $6.00 per pup,per dose, and with the size of my litters that adds up, but its better than dead, or worthless pups.
Also be careful what dogs you bring on your place,Parvo gets in the ground, and can haunt you for years.
Parvo is a bad deal around here, and we take it real serious.Hope all works out for ya. Duane

You need to get all your dogs out of that area and bleach everything. Spray pens down with bleach, wash buckets/food bowls out with bleach, cover the ground in bleach, or your just gonna get it bad again. That [beeep] last for months in the ground. If you really wanna put an end to it you might even dig up the ground and replace the dirt and build it up where your pens are if they are not permanent. If your neighbor has it in their ground and it rains and washes too you.... guess what.... you got it again. Parvo is the biggest pain in the @$$! And any pups that get it dont have much of a chance, especially if they dont go to the vet. My mom was a vet so I learned all about this stuff from her.

Im sorry for your loss, she was a beautiful pup.

I really appreciate the advice guys. Based on Jason's recommendation, I looked around to see what I had here. I just gave her about 45ml of saline solution. I know what you mean all the lumps/bubbles under the skin from it. Got my fingers crossed, but prepared for the worst.

Thanks again...Tony

The drug that the Feds put back in case Avian Flu became a problem works very well. I believe it is called Tamiflu, many doctors also prescribe it for the regular flu and the Mrs. has good luck with it for PARVO. Best prevention is to make certain mother is up-to-date on shots before breeding. Then vaccinate puppies at 6,9,12, and 16 weeks. We have had nearly 150 puppies born at my kennel. We have never lost any to Parvo and only lost 3 total that were born alive. I have the added concern that the Mrs. might bring it home from the clinic by accident.

Be mindful of where you are purchasing the vaccine if you are giving shots yourself. How the vaccines are stored prior to using them is very important and some feed and pet stores don't do the best job of keeping them cool. Most vet offices buy large lots of vaccines at one time that resist temp change better, order on Monday so they don't sit at a UPS hub over the weekend, and unpack them immediately. The Mrs. orders enough vaccine early in the year to get her through the summer so she doesn't have to have any shipped during the hot summer months.

If you have followed a recommended vaccination schedule with your vet and your puppy still gets PARVO sometimes the vaccine companies will cover your vet bill especially if it has had 3 or 4 shots.

I don't understand exactly why....but heavy worm loads contribute to puppies getting Parvo...has something to do with the lining of their stomach (per "my" vet). So start de-worming at 4 weeks and give every 2 weeks until they have received a couple of Parvo shots. Get the de-wormer from a vet especially if you have been using an over-the-counter brand for an extended period of time as they can become resistant. Lastly, Ivermectin at low doses (as given for Heartworms does not get all other worms (intestinal) (only at high doses). The higher doses, to be effective, is at a level that you risk Ivermectin toxicity. So you really need to use something else.

I would certainly bleach everything I could but I would save the money on the dirt moving and buy lots of HIGH quality vaccine and de-wormers.

Hope this helps everyone!!

Sorry you are having to go through this!! Best of Luck!!!

Brian

Tony this dont sound right but I been told many times by some old houndsmen. Take a cap full of bleach. just a cap full and pour it down the pups throat. It will not kill your pup. I put a little bleach in my dog waters all the time.
The cap of bleach will kill the parvo parasite.
Just a small cap full will not kill your pup.
Then I would also bleach the whole farm

Vargy

Tony,

Sorry to hear about your Parvo problems. That sure does suck man. I wish I could give you some advice but I don't have any. All I can do is send some prayers your way.

Keep your head up man.

Tony we put some amoxicielen (i think thats how you spell it) in the pedialyte and give it to them orally. We also put it under the skin as stated before. I hope they make it.

Quote:Also be careful what dogs you bring on your place,Parvo gets in the ground, and can haunt you for years.

Now I am confused, I mentioned the ground thing to my Vet. and I am pretty sure that he told me that heat and sunlight kills Parvo.

Just did some reading on it and it can apparently live in the ground for several months under the right conditions.

Last edited:
Back