Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1643571 - 07/28/10 11:44 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: TonyTebbe]
gonzaga Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Raton, NM U.S.A.
Sorry to hear that latest update Tony, that sure sucks.

#1643609 - 07/29/10 12:38 AM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: gonzaga]
mtcurman Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Montana
cry cry cry Very sorry to hear that Tony. I'll be praying for y'all.

#1643836 - 07/29/10 01:55 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: mtcurman]
ajneal30 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Nevada
I'm so sorry. I would hate to have to go through something like that with my boys. Give him a hug from me.

#1657869 - 08/21/10 01:02 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: Coyotejunki]
cawilson82 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: tn
just had to put my pup down. parvo can live in the ground for 10 years. only sure way to not get it is to give them all their shots. i know how your feelin tony it sucks big time. my pup was showin promise and i'll say was the smartest five month old dog i've ever seen.

#1657886 - 08/21/10 01:20 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: cawilson82]
mtcurman Offline
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted By: cawilson82
just had to put my pup down. parvo can live in the ground for 10 years. only sure way to not get it is to give them all their shots. i know how your feelin tony it sucks big time. my pup was showin promise and i'll say was the smartest five month old dog i've ever seen.

Was he one of Tonys?

#1658190 - 08/21/10 11:32 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: mtcurman]
Displayed Name Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: P.E.I., Canada
Sorry to hear of all the sad news Tony. All those pups were beautiful.
Is Parvo more common in warm climates because I've never even heard of any pups dying here ever? I remember reading on PM how it causes some kind of infertility in coyote populations for years.

#1658770 - 08/22/10 09:07 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: Displayed Name]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
I live in the Northwest, Parvo is real bad here.

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#1659056 - 08/23/10 09:15 AM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: Duane@ssu]
Dasher Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Idaho
Tony, Sure sorry to here about your losses. Hope things get better soon.
The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug.
W C Brann

#1659495 - 08/23/10 08:37 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: Dasher]
TNCOYOTEHUNTER Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Middle Tennessee
Daang Tony. I hate to hear that buddy... Parvo is the worst thing I have ever seen. When I was growing up, we had bred our female coon dog to a grand nit champion dog, to try and make some money on the pups and keep a couple for ourselves. The litter of 8 came and they were beautiful pups. At about a month old, I went to feed them and noticed a bad smell around their pen. And sure enough two pups looked horrible and were barely moving around. We took all pups out of the pen and put the healthy looking ones in one new pen and the sick ones we took in the house. The two died a few hours later. Then about a week later 4 of the remaining 8 came down with it and died the day after. This left two. One of the two turned out to be the best coon hound I ever had and lived a full life. The other abruptly died at about 8 months with no symptoms prior.
Parvo is a terrible thing and I've heard that once exposed, even if they make it, they are never the same. I'll never forget the unusual smell and how pitiful those pups looked.
We used to spray clorox water over the entire area about 3/4 gal to 1/4 gal of water to try and kill off the remaining parvo. Dont know if it worked long term however as we never put pups back in that area again.
Again, sure hate to hear it buddy.

Stacy

#1659531 - 08/23/10 09:08 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: TNCOYOTEHUNTER]
mtcurman Offline
Retired Moderator

Jeez Stacey, that's awful. cry

#1659646 - 08/23/10 11:04 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: mtcurman]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Loc: Lovington, NM
I appreciate it guys. I have one survivor left from the litter. She is one that is already sold to a PM member and I'm training her till November. She got really skinny, but pulled out of it. She's just about fattened back up and already running with the big dogs on tracks.

I talked with other houndsmen in the area that have had to deal with the level of parvo around here. I got some solid advice on what works for prevention and will make this same cross again, when Mattie comes back into heat. Hope I don't run into this again, as it took a toll on me.

Thanks again.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#1659704 - 08/23/10 11:48 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: TonyTebbe]
mtcurman Offline
Retired Moderator

Tony, I take it they didn't their get Parvo vacs when they were little. Just something to keep in mind next time. smile
Good luck with the next litter! thumbup

Ben

#1659873 - 08/24/10 09:34 AM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: mtcurman]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Loc: Lovington, NM
Ben,

I actually gave them 3 series of 7-way shots. Next time, I'm going with straight parvo shots for the first 2 sessions, then switch to 7-way for the 3rd.

Tony

Tony Tebbe

#1660182 - 08/24/10 06:21 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: TonyTebbe]
Kenlguy Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: central WA
Lets have some more info. Did the vet vaccinate them? What brand of vaccine? Modified live or killed?

Then we'll know what to stay away from

#1664201 - 08/31/10 05:48 AM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: TonyTebbe]
Roy Sparks Hounds Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Eastern Cape - South Africa
Tony yes parvo is a huge pain and we suffer no less this end with it.My buddy Trevor Filmer raises hounds as well and he has been administering half the 5 or 6 in one inoculation at 3 weeks after birth and the rest at about 6 to 8 weeks then they get the normal follow up shots.

I have neglected often to follow up on adult dogs after one year because of the cost factor - between 30 and 50 hounds and pups add up. Though I have hardly ever had an adult go down with parvo once the initial shots have been done.

When I am flush I will do all adults yearly anyway just to keep the bug out of the kennels.

We have a product called Vircon S which is a potent disinfectant and use it all over if we have an outbreak of parvo to help prevent spreading the virus. Clothing , footwear , kenneling all get treated with it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Roy Sparks.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.