Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1639792 - 07/22/10 09:51 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: TonyTebbe]
yoteslayer0927 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Ohio
The drug that the Feds put back in case Avian Flu became a problem works very well. I believe it is called Tamiflu, many doctors also prescribe it for the regular flu and the Mrs. has good luck with it for PARVO. Best prevention is to make certain mother is up-to-date on shots before breeding. Then vaccinate puppies at 6,9,12, and 16 weeks. We have had nearly 150 puppies born at my kennel. We have never lost any to Parvo and only lost 3 total that were born alive. I have the added concern that the Mrs. might bring it home from the clinic by accident.

Be mindful of where you are purchasing the vaccine if you are giving shots yourself. How the vaccines are stored prior to using them is very important and some feed and pet stores don't do the best job of keeping them cool. Most vet offices buy large lots of vaccines at one time that resist temp change better, order on Monday so they don't sit at a UPS hub over the weekend, and unpack them immediately. The Mrs. orders enough vaccine early in the year to get her through the summer so she doesn't have to have any shipped during the hot summer months.

If you have followed a recommended vaccination schedule with your vet and your puppy still gets PARVO sometimes the vaccine companies will cover your vet bill especially if it has had 3 or 4 shots.

I don't understand exactly why....but heavy worm loads contribute to puppies getting Parvo...has something to do with the lining of their stomach (per "my" vet). So start de-worming at 4 weeks and give every 2 weeks until they have received a couple of Parvo shots. Get the de-wormer from a vet especially if you have been using an over-the-counter brand for an extended period of time as they can become resistant. Lastly, Ivermectin at low doses (as given for Heartworms does not get all other worms (intestinal) (only at high doses). The higher doses, to be effective, is at a level that you risk Ivermectin toxicity. So you really need to use something else.

I would certainly bleach everything I could but I would save the money on the dirt moving and buy lots of HIGH quality vaccine and de-wormers.

Hope this helps everyone!!

Sorry you are having to go through this!! Best of Luck!!!

Brian

#1639836 - 07/22/10 10:52 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: yoteslayer0927]
vargy49 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: iowa city iowa
Tony this dont sound right but I been told many times by some old houndsmen. Take a cap full of bleach. just a cap full and pour it down the pups throat. It will not kill your pup. I put a little bleach in my dog waters all the time.
The cap of bleach will kill the parvo parasite.
Just a small cap full will not kill your pup.
Then I would also bleach the whole farm

Vargy

#1639839 - 07/22/10 10:59 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: vargy49]
gonzaga Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Raton, NM U.S.A.
Tony,

Sorry to hear about your Parvo problems. That sure does suck man. I wish I could give you some advice but I don't have any. All I can do is send some prayers your way.

Keep your head up man.

#1639886 - 07/23/10 12:48 AM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: gonzaga]
pitman6302 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: New Mexico
Tony we put some amoxicielen (i think thats how you spell it) in the pedialyte and give it to them orally. We also put it under the skin as stated before. I hope they make it.

#1639888 - 07/23/10 12:57 AM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: Duane@ssu]
Coyotejunki Offline
PM senior

Loc: MO
Quote:
Also be careful what dogs you bring on your place,Parvo gets in the ground, and can haunt you for years.

Now I am confused, I mentioned the ground thing to my Vet. and I am pretty sure that he told me that heat and sunlight kills Parvo.

Just did some reading on it and it can apparently live in the ground for several months under the right conditions.

Edited by Coyotejunki (07/23/10 01:07 AM)

#1639900 - 07/23/10 01:44 AM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: Coyotejunki]
BUTCHER45 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki
Quote:
Also be careful what dogs you bring on your place,Parvo gets in the ground, and can haunt you for years.

Now I am confused, I mentioned the ground thing to my Vet. and I am pretty sure that he told me that heat and sunlight kills Parvo.

Just did some reading on it and it can apparently live in the ground for several months under the right conditions.

Get yourself another vet. From my experience, most vets apparently get their veterinary degrees out of a bubble gum machine. If I had my own supply of amoxicylin (sp?) I would hardly ever have to see one.

Parvo can live in dirt for at least a year (here in Willamette Valley, Oregon especially).

Bleach the [beeep] out of the area that the dogs/pups are in or else the problem will continue. Make everyone that enters the area take their shoes off before entering as well, and make sure they wash their hands before handling pups. I'm told that IV fluids is the way to go.

I have always kept my pups off of un-bleached grass/soil until they have completed their vaccinations, and I haven't lost one yet. I think parvo may survive in the house, too. The Parvo rate where I live is amongst the highest in the country from what I understand.

Always vaccinate, and quarantine any new dog for a few weeks. It can take Parvo two weeks to show up from when they contract it.

Edited by BUTCHER45 (07/23/10 01:46 AM)

#1639998 - 07/23/10 11:24 AM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: BUTCHER45]
TonyTebbe Offline
Retired PM Staff.

Loc: Lovington, NM
I seriously appreciate all the advice. I knew my PM brothers would share info that could help. Unfortunately, Runt didn't make it through the night. I will be bleaching the entire kennel area today.

Thanks...Tony

Tony Tebbe

#1640010 - 07/23/10 11:58 AM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: TonyTebbe]
altabonita Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Texas
I have no advice to give you. I am just sorry to read this. Remember, things will get better.

#1640025 - 07/23/10 12:29 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: altabonita]
Coyotejunki Offline
PM senior

Loc: MO
Good grief, I just hate to hear this stuff. I only have a 3 dogs and that stuff scares the crap out of me. I just read that birds can carry Parvo on their feet, and they can obviously fly anywhere, If they land in your yard or worse your dogs water dish, they can contaminate it too.

Scary stuff. Thankfully I have my dogs vaccinated.

#1640027 - 07/23/10 12:37 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: Coyotejunki]
mtcurman Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Montana
Dang it! That bites Tony. frown Sorry to hear that.

#1640054 - 07/23/10 01:25 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: mtcurman]
JoeNovosel Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Salt Lake, Utah
I had one of my dogs get parvo at 11 months. she didnt make it. However after that I did a ton of reading about it so
i could safely get more dogs. It can live for up to one year on any surface. even in the house. bleach everything. If you have leashes or training collars or anything the dog came in contact with bleach..straight bleach, no dilluting it down. if the pups threw up on something I would recommend getting rid of it if possible. My back yard is just now getting new seed down since I had to bleach it too..
Also I strongly recommend checking out Vargy's website. I learned a ton of helpful tips for treating your dog while still sick. I wish you the best of luck... Make sure to also get all of your other dogs a booster shot even the older ones. I got my old lab two booster shots and now have three dogs with no more cases of parvo. SOrry to hear the bad news. good luck.

#1640127 - 07/23/10 03:47 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: JoeNovosel]
coyotex Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: ohio,usa
From a medical standpoint Parvo is near the equavilent of our flu.
Amoxicillin will take care of some bacteria,,but this is a virus,and it will do nothing for it.

Try to keep the pups,cool and hydrated,,even if its drops of fluid on the tongue.

1 round of I.V fluids when you first notice the signs and symptoms will help a ton,,plus a good vet can prescribe a good anti-emetic...phenergan,,reglan ...they also make a cherry flavored over the counter anti-emetic(ask your pharmacist)....hope this helps.......................X

#1640139 - 07/23/10 04:04 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: coyotex]
BUTCHER45 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: coyotex

Amoxicillin will take care of some bacteria,,but this is a virus,and it will do nothing for it.

I didn't indicate that amoxicillin was a treatment for parvo.....only that every time I have gone to the vet for something, they have prescribed amoxicillin. So if I had my own supply of it, I would not have to take a dog there.

As I said earlier, I have not lost a dog to parvo yet. I guess I should have been more specific, and said that none of my dogs have ever contracted parvo.

#1640165 - 07/23/10 04:50 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: BUTCHER45]
4eyes Offline
Predator Master

Loc: AR
Nasty stuff!!!
And a real f'd up way for a good dog to have to die.
Sorry man, clean the heck outa everything.

#1640250 - 07/23/10 06:47 PM Re: I freakin hate PARVO! Arghh!!! [Re: 4eyes]
Jesse lackey Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Michigan. Go Blue
Sorry to hear the news Tony. I sure wish there was something more I could have done to help. My greatest asset to saving dogs I must admit is my wife. She has cared for sick dogs of mine like they were her own children, but since we have no kids they all seem like our children! She sure has a knack for saving them. Well, I sure feel for ya, and wish you the best of luck.

"six potato chips all at once? wow, guess he is gonna make a decoy dog!" hahaha just kiddin guys!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.