Remington 700 SPS Tactical or Rock River Predator Upper???

wahoowad

I am hearing voices telling me to upgrade my varmint hardware. I think I am either going to add a Rock River Predator Pursuit upper for my AR A2 or possibly buy a new Remington 700 SPS Tactical. Both guns 223.

The RR will give me a flat top AR and make it easier to shoot. Barrel would be 20". Cost around $600.

The 700 SPS Tactical sounds like a great rifle. I like the 20" heavy barrel, weight/handling, other niceties appeal to me. 700 action is real nice. Cost less than $700, so just a little more than the RR.

Current thinking is I can get the 700 which gives me a new toy and I still have the intact Colt A2 whenever I want to shoot it. Costs are close enough to be a wash. Always appreciate input from my brother gun nuts.

I like my AR's, but I've always liked bolt guns better.

The 700 would be my pick.
thumbup1.gif

Wahoowad, Just a couple of thoughts for you to consider...I got my 700 SPS from RePete and he had installed a HS stock on it (probably out of necessity, as I understand the factory one leave a lot to be desired, so it's an additional cost) but I have to say it's an excellent combination and though mine is a 1/12 twist... It does produce some excellent accuracy with 60gr V-Max rounds..

Rem700SPSa.jpg

This is a 200 yard group, just a little over an inch,,

200yard60V-Max-Rem700b.jpg

as is this one

200yd60V-Max-Rem700.jpg

I really like my ARs for convenience and general shooting, but if I want really dependable accuracy, that SPS will deliver

I'd find a different FFL if he wants to charge you $50 for a transfer.

Depends on what you're going to do with it. PD, AR's.

Crows, coons, Ghogs, bolt rifle.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle though mine is a 1/12 twist...

Hmmm, the online spec says they now have 1/9 twist. You shoot yours outstandingly well!

Last edited:
Quote:You shoot yours outstandingly wellIMHO, it's an outstanding rifle... of course having a 8-32x Burris Black Diamond scope on it helps a lot...
rolleyes.gif

i would say rem700 ,,ilove mine the stocks anit the best but i do like the griping on them .... the gun shop here only charges ten dollars a tranfer something like that it anit much around here

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110I'd find a different FFL if he wants to charge you $50 for a transfer.

Agreed
The going rate around here's twenty bucks.

As far as the stock goes, I changed the stock on the one I sold to Old Turtle before ever firing it. I liked the 'Rubbery grip" of the Hogue just fine, but the fore end flexed enough to touch the barrel when setting on a tri-pod and any stock that touches the barrel gives me the willies.
Turtle's is indeed a twelve twist. Some of them got out of the factory that way, but I'm sure they're all nines now. FWIW,,, Remmy did offer to change it, but it shot so good I declined.
I'm pretty sure those groups Turtle posted were shot with my reloads.
I'm also pretty sure his reloads will probably exceed my feble attempts.

I'd still give the SPS a try if you plan on using it for predators.
You can always get a new stock down the road if you deceide to. Changing stocks is kinda like getting a whole new gun, but alot cheaper. lol

Luck

Every factory rem 700 stock I've ever seen touched the barrel. Remington seems to like them that way, I once checked about half the old Sportsman's Warehouse(Closed to liquidate assets for a new bank to be happy
frown.gif
) with a dollar and the guy behind the counter cause I or he was some how convinced they had floated the barrels. All but the last 1/2-inch or so were touching the stock. Now this was a couple years ago maybe 1.5 yrs at best, but I doubt they changed that much.

I want an AR right now, but I do love my Rem 700 and Rem 788. If you are happy with you AR currently I'd go with the 700. If you don't really like the A-2 style AR (as I don't) then I would strongly consider the new upper. If you don't like it you can send it to me!
wink.gif
lol.gif

It seems people are afraid of the factory stock on that Tactical because it flexes, but I've never heard ANY adverse affects on accuracy, it just seems to be speculation that it would screw things up, but reports always seem to say accurate.

Everything I've read on the SPS tactical from professional reports to people like us reviewing it say accurate, and very accurate at that, but the stock is always pointed out for being flexible.

I understand wanting a floated barrel, but if you are shooting under 3/4" groups out of the box with a $500 rifle, stock feels great, handles fine, just touches the barrel at the end, why does it have to be such a big deal??

These guys shot consecutive groups sub 1/2", I know I wouldn't be changing anything, but that is just me. Although this is the 308. Maybe the 223 will shoot 1/4" for you, lets hope so.
thumbup1.gif

http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

I would go with the 700 as well. I love mine! With factory BH 60gr VMAX or Hornady 55gr VMAX I'm getting 5 shot groups around 3/4-1 MOA at 100 yds. With 69gr SMK hand loads it will do consistent sub 3/4 MOA 5-shot groups at 100yds with many groups around 1/2 MOA and better. Definitely a shooter. I can say that the factory hogue stock, while very comfortable, does flex and can affect accuracy. Not all the time, but if you crank down on a bi-pod or put enough forward pressure on the stock you can see a decrease in accuracy. This was my experience at least. I doubt you will be disappointing with either decision.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: calling4life just touches the barrel at the end, why does it have to be such a big deal??

Because INCONSISTANT barrel pressure effects accuracy. Period!
Intentional pressure points are a different matter, but still detrimental in my experience.
The last post in this thread concurs with my opinion with actual experience.
Case Closed.

From the article in my previous post:
"The three groups above measured .381", .362" and .313" respectively. The overall average for all groups fired with Federal GMM was .466". So, this particular rifle, even with the front of the rubber stock touching the barrel slightly, is clearly sub .5 MOA rifle out of the box."

What if a new stock turns this sub 1/2" rifle into a 3/4" rifle, or can't it??? That would be my biggest fear here.
Is your point best proven at a distance??? For example, you see that at 100 yards the rifle shot fine, but because of the "inconsistent" pressure, will accuracy consistency fall apart more at further distances??? Is that really where you are going to see the discrepancies, at greater distances????

I would hate to take a rifle that shot like that and mess it up, the whole idea of " I have to fix it until it's broke."

You talked about "cranking down" on a bi pod or putting an exorbitant amount of forward pressure on the stock showing the change in accuracy, but what makes you do that, I just want to hunt with it, not see if it shoots well with my buddy standing on the barrel.

My point may have been made a bit facetiously, but the point is still there, is a touching stock on a sub 1/2 moa $500 rifle a good enough reason for the average hunter to be changing things??? A stock and having it installed will dang near run you the cost of the gun.

I'm pushing this because this is a gun I have given a lot of consideration to in my search for a long range gun, its cheaper price tag would allow me to purchase better glass to go on top, but if accuracy will fall apart at those long ranges, unless I change the stock, then I might as well buy a different gun. So the advice is appreciated

Back