Coyotes eating corn?

Teamroper

I had an interesting call last night. I had a gentleman call me and say that he wanted me to get rid of all the coyotes on his place (he lives in E. Tenn). I asked if he had seen any and he said that he had heard them every night and that they were cleaning out his corn field, knocking down numerous stalks every night. Now I know that coons are masters of this act but I had never heard of coyotes doing this. Has anyone else out there heard of such behavior from a coyote?
confused.gif

Bears will devastate a cornfield also...In cases like that I just agree with the land owner and say yea those coyotes can be pretty hard on a cornfield, so I can hunt their coyotes
grin.gif
...Poor coyotes, they get blaimed for everything...
thumbup.gif
Let me rephrase...Everybody knows that coyotes will eat corn but as for riding it over by the droves like coons and wallering it plum down like bears do, I dont think so....
cool.gif

Chad

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daddyfleaCoons and Hogs Sounds good to me. So I will check out the tracks real well, just for giggles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daddyfleaCoons and Hogs

Don't mean to hijack your post but I enjoyed the pics of lee and he's a natural. WOW

Last edited:
Coyotes do eat corn. A few years back a friend and I were up

hunting at my dads house and he baits deer out the window of his garage with

corn and we were watching out the window all night for deer when

a coyote came in and was eating the corn but the entire time

he was eating he was starring at us while it ate it was a

little weird to me but o well its gotta eat.

I have also had coyotes eat the corn out of my deer feeders.
One year i put carrots in the feeders and they went nuts for them,claimed it for themselves and ran all the deer off.
Orange scats all over the place.

coyotes will eat corn but usually dont pull the stock down, My vote is it sounds like you have a great coyote hunting spot now. But you should check for tracks and study the sign and you will find the real problem maker.

Quote: As being said coyotes will eat what ever it takes to survive. They will eat corn. DING DING DING DING!! Absolutely correct. A coyote that a friend of mine shot 2 seasons ago left a solid turd of field corn as his muscled stiffened as he died. Nothing but corn, barely chewed. No wonder he came running to the dieing rabbit blues, after eating only hard field corn for days on end.

I was walking down the highway the other day, and came across a large culvert that went underneath the highway. It looks like it is often used by animals to safely cross.

I saw two fresh scat piles right next to each-other outside the entrance to the culvert....I'm guessing from the size of the scats that they are from a coyote/coyotes. One of the scats was solid berries, the other solid wheat.

yotes eat anything... the love raiding the melon fields after harvest.... shot a few off the fields.. plum full of melon.. so much it was like shooting a melon.. explosive...

A guy i hunt for has coyotes eat his sweet corn every year , Iv been out there and watched them walk up to his garden and knock down stalks and eat corn . Find where they are comin from and ambush em before dark , We dont call just wait for em to walk right to us , We kill a few every year.

I too have seen the corn in scat, along with dirt. Maybe the knocked down stalks were done by coon and the coyotes came through later? I would think the coyote could reach a cob without knocking the stalk down??

My uncle had a problem with them diggin or pullin up his corn stalks then eat'n the corn from the cob (& without butter), they also found his water melon patch and had some desurt (?) with ther pic nic.

Maybe I need to go see "ol unc".

Definitely could have been eating corn. I have a video of a coyote under an apple tree sitting on his butt and I bet he ate 10 or 12 apples. I was in my deer blind and just watched him. It was pretty neat to see! Now that the corn is in the "milk" stage it's really sweet and coyotes love it. Go after them!!! Cornfields are a great place to coyote hunt this time of year. Lot's of small animals live in the cornfields(rabbits, fawns, birds, etc.) plus the corn. It's a coyote paradise!! Good luck Jake!

I shot 2 young coyotes down on the farm last year at different times in September. Both were eating what ever the berry things are that fall off the Russian Olive trees. Which I never would have believed unless I had seen them.

Back