Cheap Gun Storage Ideas?

Jeff V

Ive been browsing craigslist forever trying to find something cheap to store my 5 guns in. Id like for there to be room for ammo as well but that isnt necessary. As of right now I cant really spend more than $100. Any creative Ideas you guys have for a cheap storage cabinet? Im getting tired of having trigger locks on everything and Ive already had one issue with an older gun in an old case and the foam just falling apart inside and well lets just say that was a mess to clean up.

Jeff, Keep your eyes open around Walmarts and Farm & Fleet stores...They usually carry Stack-On and Sentry brand (same company) storage cabinets...and put them on Clearance in the Spring/Summer (at least down here)... I've picked up a couple at really low prices that way...

While they are not what I consider "high security" they are great for keeping kids, nosy neighbors, and inexperienced thieves away from your firearms...They come in several configurations and sizes...Their ten long gun with four side compartments (double door) usually go for about $400 and I think I got mine for about $150 on a close out...I've picked up two pistol cabinets for $50 each...

Just a thought... Stack-On Security Cabinets

ah yeah if i could get a steal on the 8 gun cabinet and the pistol/ammo cabinet that goes on top that wouldnt be bad.

Ive thought about building something but Id end up spending the same if not more than just buying a cheap one or a used one.

Look for a single door truck toolbox that locks if it's going to be out of sight. You could even stand it up and mount to a wall. Then start a fund for a good gun safe. I know times are tough, But losing 1 or 2 guns will pay for a good one. And get the largest that will fit in your house. There is no such thing as too big. Ours is 6' tall by 40" wide by 24" deep and is none to big.

Shayne

Jeff my neighbor who has passed on now, used to make these big foot lockers out of lumber and put a couple of pad locks on them...He then would line the bottom of them with bags of shotgun shot...I could not even move them when I tried to pick them up!!! I havent bought a bag of shot in quiet a while so its probably got real expensive also...Dont know???

Chad

The truck toolbox is a great idea. I have one, but its on my truck haha. Ill keep an eye out for a beater cheap one, anything that costs more than $50 makes me want to just buy that stackon cabinet and then use it for ammo once I can afford a nice safe.

Last edited:
see if you can find a none working chest freezer, free to haul away and just put a few pad locks on it.
Mike

Originally Posted By: Jeff Vah yeah if i could get a steal on the 8 gun cabinet and the pistol/ammo cabinet that goes on top that wouldnt be bad.

Ive thought about building something but Id end up spending the same if not more than just buying a cheap one or a used one.

I built this 8 gun cabinet 2 years ago out of solid oak for a little over $400 dollars in materials. You could probably build something smaller out of pine or soft hardwoods for a pretty reasonble price.
IMG_1348-1.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

Jeff, If you are concerned about security,,,,Here's an idea I worked out with my two door cabinet in my last house... I had a small alcove in my 'gun room' and if I was going on vacation or would be away for any length of time, I put my two door cabinet on rollers and it would roll back into that alcove and a panel of pegboard screwed over the opening...With some lightweight tools hanging on the pegboard, you would never know it was there...

GunRoomStorage005.jpg

GunRoomStorage006.jpg

GunRoomStorage007.jpg

You could do the same thing with an old upright freezer for pretty cheap...or just bolt it in a closet...

Here's what it looked like when covered... the cabinet in front was also on rollers...Took about five minutes to put away or get it out...

GunRoomStorage001.jpg

Last edited:
At least for where I live now Im really just trying to make it safe for my cousins/niece/whoever else gets pushed through the birth canal.

Ill be honest with you there are no little kids in the house, and If i go out shooting sometimes I come back and the gun is left on the cleaning bench. Then ill go off to the store, come home and my 7 year old cousin is running around the basement.

Casing and trigger locking every gun is a Pain to be honest, one locked storage area is what I am looking for.

I don't need a fancy display cabinet (I dont think I have one gun that I paid more than $200 for) and I have a bunch of 2x4's left over from finishing the basement so I came up with this idea to use until I save up and move to a semi long term residence and get a real safe, this will be come a great hunting gear storage cabinet then.

5' high x 3' wide x 2' deep wooden frame, 2'x2' will be for gun storage and 1'x2' will have shelves for ammo and cleaning supplies.

I will mount a florescent light that I got when a company was going out of business to the ceiling so it can be lit up. Ill make some barrel rests and put 4 or 5 shelves on the one side. Dual padlock latches on the door and some heavy duty hinges.

Ill stain the 2x4 frame with a dark stain and then the 3/4" plywood panels will be painted and then on the exterior i have some camo wallpaper that I got on clearance a while ago that Ill use to cover those.

When I buy a safe ill put a piece of pipe across the top so I can hang my camo clothes in it, and the shelves will be used for calls, decoys, and the like. Whole project will cost me about $40 and it will give me something to do next week while i continue to be laid off.

cabview3.png

cabview2.png

cabview1.png

and yes it will have a top i just left that off so you could see whats goin on better.

Last edited:
You could try to find a couple gym lockers on craigslist and screw them from inside the locker to a wall or inside a closet. Then pad lock it. That would keep anyone out that wasn't really intent on getting in.

I had the gym locker Idea and I was looking for them for some time but gave up after only finding high priced new ones on craigslist and nothing in the news papers.

Im going to start construction on the wooden one monday. Should work okay for now and like I said above It will be a great place to store non firearms related hunting gear once I get a safe.

Yeah, I found some in good condition on CL for $10 the first day that I had the idea. I waited, then he sold them all and I haven't been able to come accross any since.

Your idea looks like a good one.

Thanks, i really like drawing stuff out in sketchup it helps me visualize what I want and I can usually make sure I have enough materials so there isnt a hardware store run in the middle of the project.

You could store all your firearms in my safe. I "PROMISE" I would not shoot them.
wink.gif
You could come and get the guns wanted whenever you submitted in triplicate a 90 day notice, Notarized of your desire. Then a panel or independent judges of my choice would consider your request for a term of 60 days. Then after everything is approved and initialed, come on out to Utah and get them. They are yours after all.

ibschmidty

Haha, cracks me up, anytime you see anything about a safe or a gun locker someone posts something along those lines

Originally Posted By: Jeff VIve been browsing craigslist forever trying to find something cheap to store my 5 guns in. Id like for there to be room for ammo as well but that isnt necessary. As of right now I cant really spend more than $100. Any creative Ideas you guys have for a cheap storage cabinet? Im getting tired of having trigger locks on everything and Ive already had one issue with an older gun in an old case and the foam just falling apart inside and well lets just say that was a mess to clean up.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_229523_imageset_02?$main-Large$

I got a couple like this that were Elk Creek brand from the Home Depot a few years back.

They don't seem to have them anymore, but these are comparable

Drill holes in bottom to anchor them and beef up the locks by adding plate which is what I did (i'm a welder) and it would take a torch to get into em.

Not the best by far but it would stop most idiots and keep the shooters out of view.

They must have hyper link disabeled as I cant get the link to work?

Cut and paste to your browser for the pic.

It is the Stack on 8 gun for $109 on their site.

FWIW, there is no way I can get 8 guns in one of the "8 gun" cabinets. Actually, I think mine are 10 or 12 gun models. If you have no optics on the rifles, and no AR's, then you may be able to squeeze 8 in there.

kevlars

Back