any smallgame bow hunters?

crowpopper

who here hunts small game with a bow?
yote,fox,coon, squirrel, rabbit, grouse?
i used to do it some but havent in a few yrs
i just got a new string on my hoyt prohunter recurve its a 45 lb bow
i am getting some arrows this week for it also

what tips yall use?
i use blunts for squirrel rabbit and grouse
then gobbler gillotines for turkey and regular heads for predators

I often hunt squirrels,rabbits,grouse and turkey with the bow.I've never intentionally tried for varmints but if one comes along I'll (try) put the kibosh on him for sure.

I've tried taken squirrels with my recurve, squirrels 3 me 0, but it a blast, if you want to have some fun try it, plus it makes for some great practice for your shootin and stalkin skills ( if you have 3 squirrels around you that makes for 6 eyes to eavade).

I HUNT SQUIRRELS WITH A COMPOUND AND HOMADE STEEL BLUNTS. I ALSO DO A LOT OF RABBIT HUNTING WITH OUR 3 BEAGLES. I USE RUBBER BLUNTS FOR RABBITS. BOTH ARE ALOT OF FUN.

P.S. RUBBER BLUNTS DO NOT WORK WELL ON SQUIRRELS

Last edited:
I will kill certain small game animals if I see them while im deer hunting, but arrows are to expensive to use on squirrels and such.

Originally Posted By: beagle3I HUNT SQUIRRELS WITH A COMPOUND AND HOMADE STEEL BLUNTS. I ALSO DO A LOT OF RABBIT HUNTING WITH OUR 3 BEAGLES. I USE RUBBER BLUNTS FOR RABBITS. BOTH ARE ALOT OF FUN.

not tryin to be a dink but since when do rubber dumpers not work on squirrels?? i just shot a gopher aka ground squirrel a couple days ago with one and my compound bow... dead on sight. unless you have deer sized squirrels ive seen rubber blunts drop ferral cats dead in there tracks and when we picked them up then felt like jello.

I set up my ground blind pre season and shoot woodchucks when it's cool enough. I use G5 Montec broadheads...woodchucks are pretty good sized around here and if you dont kill them right out they go underground and you never know if they died. Good tough fixed broadhead that flys just like a field point, they just look a little small for deer to me.

Originally Posted By: beagle3I HUNT SQUIRRELS WITH A COMPOUND AND HOMADE STEEL BLUNTS. I ALSO DO A LOT OF RABBIT HUNTING WITH OUR 3 BEAGLES. I USE RUBBER BLUNTS FOR RABBITS. BOTH ARE ALOT OF FUN.

The last squirrel I hit with a rubber bludgeon just about lost his entire head and he was dead before he finished his 6 flips off of the fence post. I have had good luck with them. I'm going to try the G5 small game heads shortly and see how they do as well.

Jason, it's a sIx year old thread... lol. Regardless, it's a good topic! I've used the Judo head to good effect. I like to squirrel hunt with my bow later in the year when the squirrels are on the ground and the underbrush has died out. I can usually find my arrow in those conditions.

Originally Posted By: GCJason, it's a sIx year old thread... lol. Regardless, it's a good topic! I've used the Judo head to good effect. I like to squirrel hunt with my bow later in the year when the squirrels are on the ground and the underbrush has died out. I can usually find my arrow in those conditions.

GC, I was doing a search on a specific topic and noticed it was 6 years old after I had posted it. But I am the same in that I usually only shoot the noisy ones that bug me late in deer season.

My son and I will occasionally go archery hunting squirrels specifically. Like I said, in the late season it's a ton of fun and very rewarding. And welcome to PM! We can always use another bow hunter around here.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jason BOriginally Posted By: GCJason, it's a sIx year old thread... lol. Regardless, it's a good topic! I've used the Judo head to good effect. I like to squirrel hunt with my bow later in the year when the squirrels are on the ground and the underbrush has died out. I can usually find my arrow in those conditions.

GC, I was doing a search on a specific topic and noticed it was 6 years old after I had posted it. But I am the same in that I usually only shoot the noisy ones that bug me late in deer season.

i used to keep a field point 'squirrel arrow' in my quiver when i bow hunted too. nothing worse than a chatterbox 15 or 20 yds in front of you. *thump*

i brought home a lot of squirrels like that.

I have killed many coyotes from my deer stand while bowhunting. Tried a few times calling them but haven't been able to get them close enough. My buddy hunts squirrels with G5 sgh and judo points from his Black Widow recurve. His success rate isn't very high but every one that does make it into the game bag is a trophy.

I have shot small game while deer hunting. Coons, tree rat, turkey. I hunt rabbit with my long bow. My new favorite is carrying a field point tipped arrow and on my way to or from the stand stalk wood ducks sitting on the creek and shooting them.

I love hunting squirrels with my compound. I too just use the Judo points so that I don't lose any arrows. My favorite is hitting them out of trees and watching them helicopter to the ground.

For turkeys I just use my regular deer hunting broadhead.

All the rabbit hunting I do is with arrows and I was the G5 small game head. It has 3 prongs with cutting edges on them and seems to keep the arrows from burying under the grass or leaves pretty good. The prongs do have a habit of breaking off once in a while with my compound but they last for many many shots. One with 2 prongs still fly well. I like them better than the judo tips. The G5 with the cutting tips kill faster and there aren't hardly any wounded rabbits dragging arrows behind them like the judo have. I have also killed squirrels with them no different than rabbits. Turkey I would use a wide mechanical broad head to have a better chance of getting the vitals or the leg bones as well as not penetrating as much. Coyotes I'd use whatever was on the arrow at the time but most I have killed are with a fixed blade broad head as that is what I use for deer. Personally I wouldn't shoot at anything living with a field tip as it is for piercing and not cutting which seems to me would cause a pretty slow death even on a squirrel but I could be wrong since I have never done that.

Back