Richards microfit stock??!!!

Jacob_Hanan

I ordered a stock from this company on the first of feb. This year

how long does it take these guys to get a stock built and shipped?

Anybody have any experiance with these guys?

They won't respond to my emails and all the phone lines are always full and so is the voicemail box.

I mean come on!! This was going to go on a new 6x47L for p-dog hunt that I'm going on in a week. Even after it gets here I still have to do a lot of work to it.

I'm about to think that the low price is not worth the time it's taking.

How long have you guys had to wait for your Richards microfit/rifle-stocks.com stocks?

I ordered out of their closeout/bargain list and it came within a week or so. They can be hard to get ahold of on the phone. I just keep redialing for a while and usually get through.

Ordered one several years ago. At 12 weeks I finally reached someone. It arrived two weeks later. Since demand is there, I don't think they're too concerned about Customer Service. Not sure if I'd ever shop there again...

I have bought several stocks from them. They make a first class stock. However their customer service is not so good, and they are SLLOOOWWWW in delivery. If you are in a hurry then don't order from them. They do runs on stocks. When they have enough ordered they will do a run. If you have a low demand stock then you will have a long wait. It took me 9 months to get the one below, but it was worth the wait. If you don't have patience then you might want to cancel if you can get through. If not then keep calling and hopefully the squeeky wheel will get some oil. Tom.

004.jpg

I think there are better options than Richards. I've read FAR too may posts by guys who have had issues with their stocks, plus very slow deliveries.

I have order dozens upon dozens of Richards stocks, over the past 20 years, since Fajen quit making stocks. Other than the long lead times on some stocks, as long as 5 months, I am fairly satisfied with their stocks. The nwewr stock are not near as rough as the ones I was getting 3-4 years ago, and the inletting is better as well. It seems that when I order a A, I get a AA , when I order a AA, I get a AAA, etc. It almost always seems that I end up getting a better grade than what I originally ordered. Overall, for the money, a Richards stock is hard to beat. You can get a better stock, like Shehane, Accuracy Inovations, etc., but you are going to pay 2x-3x as much.

I am glad that some guys have had some good experiences with them because mine was horrible. I waited six months for the two stocks that I ordered. When they finally arrived I started looking at what needed to be done. When I put the action in the one stock it had a 1/8th inch gap all the way around the action. It didn't need inletting, it needed filling!!! On the other one I started the inletting only to find out that the barrel channel was extremely crooked!! to get it all to sit in there straight, there is a large gap on the right side of the barrel. When I contacted them about returning them for new ones I was told that it would be another six months. When I asked about a refund, I was told that it might be possible on the one that I hadn't touched, but I was stuck with the other one. I got a refund for one but still had to buy two other stocks. This all happened about 4 years ago, so maybe they are better these days. That is just my experience.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerHere's the last horror story I saw on one of their stocks. With pics.

Richard's Microfit stock link

The guy finished it out okay, but look at the work involved.
scared.gif

Soured me on them permanently.

There are two threads going on another Forum about the horrors of buying a Richards stocks.

"Horror Story". My gosh where is the blood. I was assuming someone died when I heard a horror story.

My gosh, you are buying a $200 or less stock. And some are better than others. OK, I will give you that. But horror story. I think that is a bit over dramatic.

You want a perfect stock then pay Mcmillan $500---$1,000. That will get your a much better stock. However I have seen several of them that have needed a good bit of bedding over the years also.

But anything under $200 does not qualify as a horror story.

You have to take Richard's for what it is. If you do not like it then pay someone else a lot more money. But you really should drop the dramatics.

If you are not happy when you get it then send it back.

I know that they say it is 99%. and maybe some are not, but most are. But did you really expect a completed stock?? Oh the horror. Tom.

Quote:But did you really expect a completed stock??

No, but I would expect one that I could finish out to size without having visible gouges left.

Quote:But anything under $200 does not qualify as a horror story.

Oh, I missed that memo. I'm writing it down here for future reference. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Evil_Lurker Quote:But did you really expect a completed stock??

No, but I would expect one that I could finish out to size without having visible gouges left.

Quote:But anything under $200 does not qualify as a horror story.

Oh, I missed that memo. I'm writing it down here for future reference. Thanks.

Richards make nice utility grade laminate stocks IMO
Ruger M77 w/ richards
IMG_1090.jpg

257 wby mag with elkridge stock, didn't know it at the time turns out they were middle men for Richards. For what ever reason this one was in much better shape when it arrived and finished out the way I wanted the first too
IMG_1095.jpg

I was ready to buy a stock 2 months ago...credit card in hand...I gave up after trying to call them 10 times at various times of the day...never heard a live voice...thank God after hearing all this...PASS.

I am glad so many have passed or will not do business Rchards. That just means more stocks, faster deliveries, and more $$$ saved for me and my customers, etc.

As for myself, when I order stocks from Richards, I know exactly what I am getting. I hold no pre-concieved notions or expectations that I am going to get a "99% press fit", ready for final sanding and finish, or drop-in that most whinners and comnplainers here seem to have.

Bottom line if you want a drop-in, then go get a Boyds or do your shopping at Stocky Stocks. If you want a true custom stock, just be advised that they don't come in as drop-in's. You want a true custom stock, then be prepared and be willing to do a little work to acheive the desired results. So as someone lese stated preiously, stop whinning and get to sanding!!!!

1shotshooter- From what I read, you and your customers. You are getting paid for the stock work. Those that buy for themselves aren't. Makes a difference when your getting paid to do a job. You probably have all the needed tools and are capable of working a stock. Alot of folks are limited in tooling and experience to take a 75 percent stock and make it fit. Maybe some of the whinners your refering to expect to get a 99% press fit, not a chunk of wood that resembles a stock. As you well know, stock building takes time. These people want one they can sand and finish and have a nice stock. Maybe Richards should explain that a novice might not be able to finish their 99% drop-ins. JMO for what its worth.

No, I've seen some of the Richard's stocks that were exactly as advertised. A couple of hours work and you're ready to bed and finish it. That's what you expect with a "99% stock" and reading their ads.

Go look at the stock the guy on Rimfirecentral received.
It looks like they replaced the router bit with a roughing bit for aluminum, or an old corn cob.

They shouldn't have sent that out the door. Anybody that received that thing would have been upset.

Back