243 vs 243AI...

I have a rem 700 stainless sps (sporter contour barrel) in 243 that I have thought about getting ackleyed.

A gun smith whose opinion I respect (based on the quality and performance of his work) suggested that it would be better to re-barrel it with a somewhat heavier barrel than to ackley that barrel.

How has some of your experiences been with this type of thing.

I am looking at pushing 75 to 90 grain bullets through it to thump coyotes with.

From what I have gathered.....
If you have a bad throat or just a so-so barrel in-general ,new is better. If all is good rechamber it.

Barrel weight makes no diff.

This one has not had a box of shells through it yet, and will dump the rem factory loads with the 80 grain power-lokt hollow points into overlapping clover leaves at 100 yards...

"If you want to go down that road then the 280 owns both of them..."

Then we are in agreement.

#1 280
#2 270
#3 30-06

I hear the 280 AI is a little better still.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: justin10mm"If you want to go down that road then the 280 owns both of them..."

Then we are in agreement.

#1 280
#2 270
#3 30-06

I hear the 280 AI is a little better still.

from what I understand the 280 AI is just a half a hiccup behind the 7 mag.

Last edited:
Oh lord weve went from Ackleys to Magnums....... This one has officially gone south
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: justin10mmYes, but when fireforming loads you don't get the added velocity of a finished case. You don't see the gain in performance until the second firing.

Man, this FF loads sure suck. These AI's are too much of a hassel...

FF a few casings tonight. Critters didn't know that hit them. YMMV...

cc904a97.jpg

556d69b7.jpg

justin,
I sure hope you don't take this the wrong way, but you don't know your a$$ from a hole in the ground.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

No offense, but that's just my humble opinion.
grin.gif

Last edited:
No need to get personal. But lets hear your supporting argument.

SuperSeal - Fancy rig, what flavor of AI is it?

Edited = I saw it's a .223AI from the varmint board.

Last edited:
Justin,

Yes, she's a 223ai. I sold my 243ai about 1.5-2 month ago. I couldn't warm up for the McM classic stock. I have (2) .243ai in the makes. Just need some barrels and smith work and they'll be complete.

Also lose a bit of velocity when fire forming, the lost pressure is used to push the shoulder forward as i have been told. Maybe i am wrong.

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Originally Posted By: justin10mmAny reason the barrel looks short and thin?

Lighter the better. Shoots fine out to 1k.

You know light barrels don't shoot Mike. You need a heavy barrel, at least 26" long.........grins

Back