.264 winchester magnum

Originally Posted By: NastyDaddy101I really would think you would want a little slower powder than H4831.I have had good luck with H1000 & Retumbo.

I think you may be right about that. However H4831 and H-1000 are pretty close to each other. With H-1000 being a little bit slower burning. However Hodgdon on their reloading site shows 3.5 more grains of H-1000 to achieve 2900 FPS like the H4831 does.

They list that load as max. But that does not come near the 3200 fps that people say they are getting froam a 140 grain pill. This is what I am talking about when I say that I can not understand the reloading manuals.

How long has H-1000 beenn around?? I might try to find it in some of my older load books. I wonder how much discrepancy I will find there?? I even thought about RL 22. I believe, but am not sure that RL 25 would be too slow?? Too bad they don't make an RL 23-1/2.
grin.gif
thumbup.gif
Tom.

Last edited:
N.D 101 that what twist i have in mine. Nice to know I have the option to use 140gr bullets. Yesturday i looked in all of the current reloading books (lyman,hornady,nosler,speer)that scheels had and I see the same thing with charge weights being all over the place. I just pick up some H4831sc and some 7828 and that is where im starting. Starting to get anxious here to get a load developed.

The 264 really comes to life with the 140's. I have fell in love with the Berger,such a high bc sure bucks the wind & retains speed.Enjoy your new toy!

What kind of velocity are people getting with the berger vld's or other 140 class bullet. real life examples instead of book values. Might have to order a barrel for my savage.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to 6.5s in general and the .264 Win Mag in particular.
After waiting for about 15 years, I got an M70 Westerner, then due to circumstances I was forced to sell it. About two years later I found a Remington M700 in .264 - came from a short run in 63/64 - 4 digit serial number - this ones definitely a keeper.

Mine likes 129 gr, Hornady SSTs and RL22...

Back