Heaviest bullet for a .243 with a 1-10" twist

fireguyty

My buddy and I are working on project guns to shoot 1000 yards. I have a .243 Win with a 1-10" douglass barrel, and I think it would be fun to see how far I can stretch it out while I'm at it.

So, how heavy? Most bullet web pages recommend 1-8 for the 105 grain stuff. So I figured maybe I could use 95 Berger VLD or Sierra MK. Am I on the right track?

Also to anyone that uses the VLD, do you always just single load?

Thanks,
Ty

I'm no expert by any means,,only been reloading for about a 1 1/2 years,but according to Lilga precision rifle barrels,,a document I found on the internet,,it say's your good for up to 100gr bullets

Last edited:
I had a .243 AI with that same barrel and it wouldn't shoot the 95s very well, but some people shoot them i think. You will for sure be able to stabilize the 87 Vmaxs, which are a good bullet, I don't know how they are at 1000 though.

I shoot 100 gr. bullets in two different 6mm Rem. 1-10 twist Shilen barrels w/o any problems. Both are sub moa rifles.

Regards,
hm

I agree with the 87 V-max being a good bullet. I had a Ruger mkii .243 that is listed as a 1:10 and it shot the 105gr A-max about 3/4 MOA out to 200 yards. I have heard that the Berger VLD's don't work but have no experience with them.

Originally Posted By: dogmessiahI agree with the 87 V-max being a good bullet. I had a Ruger mkii .243 that is listed as a 1:10 and it shot the 105gr A-max about 3/4 MOA out to 200 yards. I have heard that the Berger VLD's don't work but have no experience with them.

I have a Ruger Mk II .243, also listed as a 1-10, and it shoots the 105 amax very well out to at least 5 -600 yards. YMMV.

"Also to anyone that uses the VLD, do you always just single load?"

Yes, because you have to use a solid bottom action for the best accuracy.

Jack

Thanks for all the replys.

DDJ, I was eyeing the same bullet, I hope it works for me as well.

Jack, besides the accuracy of a solid bottom action, what I was asking is because of the COAL required for the VLD, does everyone who uses them not use their magazine? My understanding of the VLD is that they must be into the lands to get them to shoot right, and so they won't fit into the mag. This just seems like a huge inconvenience, and so I am suprised they are so popular.

Here is an excellent link covering bullet weights for .243 and load data. More links are listed at bottom of page. Excellent cartridge.

http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Bullets by Clinch River, Lapua Scenar, Berger VLD, Sierra Matchkings, 105 grain A-max are listed among many others. A 90 grain Lapua Scenar would be tolerant of jump, whereas Berger VLD not. Matchkings are tolerable of jump. Not everyone shoots Berger. You would do very well with Lapua brass and loads that fit your mag. Depends on the match requirements.

It wouldn't hurt to try 105 and 106 grain. You will be able test the limit of your barrel for bullet stabilization. Some barrels aren't exactly the twist they claim to be. It would be worth experimenting to get the best BC.

George Gardner's (GA Precision) tactical match load is listed at bottom of .243 load data. He shoots 10 round magazines.

EricW

Last edited:
"Jack, besides the accuracy of a solid bottom action, what I was asking is because of the COAL required for the VLD, does everyone who uses them not use their magazine? My understanding of the VLD is that they must be into the lands to get them to shoot right, and so they won't fit into the mag. This just seems like a huge inconvenience, and so I am suprised they are so popular."

Almost everybody who shoots long range, single loads. It is mandatory for any competition and more convenient for any long range shooting.

Jack

Back