I have been thinking about getting into lion hunting

garretthunter

so the other day I got a walker pup. Shes about 3 months old, and I need some advice about where to find books and information on training a lion dog.

i heard lion doing usualy respond to distress sounds, you have to have a realy good tracking/hunting dog to pick up a scent and run it from there!

I would suggest finding someone in your area to pal up with as running one hound solo is usually asking for trouble. Also its much easier for your dog to learn from an older dog than you teaching it everything.

Ya ain't gonna train a dog out of a book, save your money and buy some dog food with it. Your dog is a pup and if you can catch some feral cats in about 3 months from now and start teasing it with them and let the pup fight it in a cage for a while then turn it out when the pup seems fired up and see what happens. After it starts to tree the cat on a regular basis then start looking for some fresh lion tracks and turn him loose on them, a lion is easy to tree, the toughest part is trailing it up and getting it jumped, then it's a matter of going to the dog. Good luck, Mike

Lion hunting is way to easy.....thats what i hear anyway. I still haven't been able to catch one but i'm the exception to the rule.

I hear you have to be smart, have lots of money, and a lot more free time. Well, thats three strikes for me.

From what i understand, remember im pretty stupid, it could be as bad of a habit as drug and alcohol. It might cost you a wife or two a job and definatelly some buddies that you will argue with about who has the better dog or who's dog was at the tree first. Who's number one.....LOL

Best advice from a professional idiot is to sale the dog and spend time with the family before you ruin your life. But if you continue down this road of stupidity....best of luck.

Take care, jason

LMAO! About 6 or 8 years ago my daddy was sitting on the tailgate of his truck watching my new cur puppy playing in the yard and damned if he didnt say just about the same thing! Shoulda listened.... sure was fun being hard headed.

Thanks gentlemen for the info. Iwill probaly learn as more from the pup than she learns from me. I dont think my little lady is going to leave over the hunting, she bought the dog, maybe she wants me out of the house on the weekends. I know I dont have the money to play this game, but I'm going to try.

Poser is pretty close to right on lol..And that one dog will turn into 20 before you know it. Maybe this fall if you want to come over on this side of the state we can go try and catch one.You might want to leave your dog in the box [beeep] my trashey potlikkers will just teach her bad habits lol
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks steve I might be able toget over that way this fall and take you up on that, if you dont mind an old fat redneck following your dogs and the pup could use someone to show her the ropoes.

Find you a lady that wants to go with you
smile.gif
!!!

Back