All around varmint caliber .223, .243, 22-250?

Never had this type of question come up before. I will have to put some thought into it and get back.
I'm gonna try the SEARCH button and see what I come up with.

If I shot a lot of varmits , like PD's,and up to coyote, .223 in a 20"AR would be my choice.
.243 really is a great long distance round, but more expensive to load. Not shooting many, I would choose that.

So many worry about being fur friendly,..so few take furs.

Out of the choices listed.......the 6mm class has a lot to offer. It does it better at longer distances and when needed, in wind. But keep in mind most shots are under 100yds for coyotes so any of the three listed will do the job.

I just picked up my new calling gun yesterday. if you're looking for a 16" AR15M4 for a good price........you can't beat this. I originally wanted an 18" barrel but begger can't be choosers. this is a hunting gun!

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?cat=161&

this one is mine with a 5 round mag. A small blemish on the barrel by the flash hider is barely noticeable. I ordered the W.A.S.P barrel (non-chrome).

AR15M4b.jpg

AR15M4.jpg

22-250 has to be my favorite round for predators. It really is hard to beat. In fact, I'm building one right now on a Sako AII action with a Lother Walther bull barrel piller beded in a McMillan Sako style varmint stock. Grizz

I have had various 243 for as long as I remember. I have shot everything from sika deer to whitetail to bobcats with a bolt action 243. Anytime anyone mentioned the ideal caliber, I always spoke in favor of a bolt action 243. Anytime anyone mentioned an AR, I laughed first and then thought that he was a city boy who had watched too much TV on what a rifle was "supposed" to look like. Anyway, I always said, a 223 isn't big enough to do any good.

The last few years I have gotten more into coyote hunting. Earlier this year, twice I called 4 coyotes into one stand. I decided I needed an automatic rifle so I could get off more shots. I looked for about a month for an auto. I had decided I didn't want a 243 because I already had several. I thought about a 220 swift or a 204, but we have a lot of wind out here, and I was concerned about wind drift. Finally and much to my dismay, I settled on a Rock River Arms Coyote Carbine in 223. I really didn't want an AR, and I really didn't want a 223, but it just seemed liked it was the best compromise of what I was looking for.

As a die-hard bolt guy, the day I went to sight in, I was already mad before I pulled the trigger, because I knew I was going to get 1-inch groups at best. I had already tried to convince myself that 1-inch groups were fine for coyotes. Within 10 shots, I had dialed in .5-inch groups. Fine, I thought, but I am going to be chasing a lot of spinning coyotes and tracking bleeders into the brush.

The week before I had shot a coyote with my 243 that I had to track 100 yards. When I finally found him, I had made a great shot, but the bullet went right through and left tiny entry and exit holes (this had much to do with my bullet selection), but I was not happy about having to crawl through the underbrush to retrieve the yote.

So I handload some Nosler Ballistic Tips in 50 grains for the 223, and I grab the caller and head out. The very first coyote I call in runs up to 75 yards and turns broadside. I lay the RRA on a tripod, put the crosshairs behind his shoulder, and squeeze off a round. First, I notice that I get no muzzle rise and that I get to see the whole thing go down and not have to wait until my scope settles like with my 243. The second thing I notice is that the coyote is hit, and he simply rolls over DEAD. He didn't take a step. I was shocked once again. I went out to pick him up, and he is leaking goo. The bullet vaporized his insides. I have since seen 4 other coyotes go down to the AR 223 and none have moved more than a yard or 2. Most die where they stood when shot.

I say all this for two reasons. One, I was the guy making fun of people with ARs. I thought good old country boys like me were supposed to shot bolt actions because that is what granddaddy shot and because I had always been told they were more accurate. Well, the AR is as accurate or more than my bolt guns. I still don't like the way it looks because I am afraid that the ranchers where I hunt are going to freak out when they see me lugging it around. But, nonetheless, I am sold on the AR platform.

Second, the 223 is a plenty mean round if you shot the right bullet. I like the lack of recoil and muzzle rise. It reloads easily and there are a lot of choices in bullets. I have only loaded 50 grn NBTs, and I see no reason to load anything else right now, but it is nice to know I have some options.

If I could only have one rifle for all my needs from varmints, to predators, to deer, I would not go with the 223 (or probably even the 243 for that matter). But if you can afford to have a dedicated varmint/predator rifle, I am impressed with the 223---and I wouldn't be afraid to step away from the bolt action even though granddaddy may disapprove.

Well seeing as this is about varmints. Back when I was shooting PDs I use to shoot a .223 out to about 400yds and then switched to a .243 for beyond 400yds. I shot a varmit weight .243 once I added a muzzle break I got to see more mist.

Now that I am trying coyote calling I am shooting a AR .223(bolt guns are varmit weight and are fine off the bench but a little much to lug around calling)I am seriously looking at .243wssm upper just because.

Scope choices are different as well on the varmit rigs I ran a 24x on my AR 3X9 variable.

Last edited:
I prefer the .223 it is what I use ant it is easy to load and the bullet selection is huge. But I have had a few run a ways.
Mike

I've shot a lot of varmints with .204s and .223s, but if I were regularly going to be shooting them out past 400 yards, and having to put up with the recoil and noise, I'd definitely go for the .243 over the others...otherwise, I'll stick with what I've got..

.223 I have several rifles from a hornet, 22-250, 25-06 on up but I take my AR-15 or my bolt action .223, 95% of the time when I leave the house. Don't know why it's just the one I feel most comfortable with. May be different if I lived some where that over 200 yard shots we're the norm instead of the exception. To be fair though most of my other rifles are 26" barrels and I like the 20" tube the best which are what my .223 s are.

Sounds like the bolt gun lovers have sounded off. I agree with them 100% because I too love my bolt guns. But I have to add, that the newer model AR's have been very impressive in terms of accuracy. I see guys at my local range shooting AR's all the time in distances of 100, 200 and even 300 yds with nice tight patterns. At the same time I wouldn't trade any of my bolt guns away for an AR come [beeep] or high water. As for the caliber, I'd have to say it all depends on what floats your boat the most. I believe the 243 is the most vesatile to fit a wide range of uses while the .223 and 22-250 are, for me at least, for very specific use.

Originally Posted By: justin10mmThis is a old post.

Thread was started about 3-1/2months ago. You've been here less than 2-1/2months.

Back