Bobcat Taxidermist - any recommendations?

Scout22

I caught my cat of a lifetime and I'm looking for an excellent bobcat taxidermist.

Please give any advice on locating a good one, places to look, someone you know of or any information.

Here is my cat by the way, kind of proud of this one.
32lb 10oz Male.

SDC10459-1.jpg

SDC10447.jpg

I was givin a cat that I was going to try doing myself but if you find someone that is good with cats I'm just going to have it done so let me know if you find someone I just like cat mounts and we dont have any cats here so I still have it and would like to get it done as well .Thanks

Nice cat by the way the one i have is a small female a guy didnt want so traded him a few things for it.Its not near that big.Congrats

You might look up a guy in craig, co. He runs big cat taxidermy and does an excellent job with cats. He did my lion and people are amazed at how natural it looks. Just be sure you find someone who is good. Cats mounts are like red heads, either they sweet looking or thet look like poo.

Good luck.

Nice cat! Dennis Dumont in Libby Montana is top on my list. On big cats and bears(not sure on smaller cats) he takes an actual cast of the mouth and paints the individual tooth to match the original. No plastic clip in mouth here. Lions he also removes each whisker and numbers them befrore sending the hide to the tannery. Whiskers usually lay flat if this precaution is not taken. His cats look lifelike in person. His studio has specimens from clients all over the country and is one of the best Taxidermist I have seen. The man is an Artist. Give Dennis and John a call. Tell them Randy Martin sent you.

http://www.dumonttaxidermy.com/

Last edited:
Watch out if you send it out of town, alot of places have more than one taxidermist working in their shop so if you want a specific person to mount it you had better specify that.

+1 on Philip Souncy. Google him to see his work (and awards). I've seen several of his in person, and they are great. I mean they looked like they were actually alive! However, I've seen other taxidermists work that was just as good, but just not every time. So do you gamble on someone that has turned out "some" good cats, or do you go with a person that you know will make it look real?

Elks said it best at the end of his post! I'm going to have to remember that one.

Congratulations on a fine looking cat!!

Whatever you do, make sure that you look at the work of any taxidermist you're thinking of using in person before you leave any animal with them. Preferably work that they have done for recent customers, not displays that are in their shop all the time. Also don't let price or time frame cause you to settle for shabby work. There are a lot of good taxidermist out there, but there are even more bad ones. Cheap prices, & short return times are more often than not indicators of poor quality work.

Mark Smart in Great Falls MT 406-761-3586. I have a lion he did for me and I would have no one else do a cat. I have seen some of his bobcats and lynx and you would be hard pressed to find anyone better. He is not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Poor pictures but you get the point and take into account that it has been hanging for about 10 years.
IMG_0080-1.jpg

IMG_0082-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice cat! There is a guy on trapperman who goes by taximan. Get on there and look at some of his work. It's great. Best cats I have seen.

Some very good advice on this thread...

I've had four bobcats mounted ranging from full body mounts to flat rugs.

Depending on how you want your cat mounted it is extremely important that the animal be skinned properly. Rugs especially require being done right so the legs lay properly.

My next advice would be to find a taxidermist who has a rare artistic quality when it comes to true anatomy and appearance. As others have said, many can mount an animal but from my experience only about 5% of the taxidermists around can provide a finished product with a lifelike look that is almost scary.

My best example, and the cat shown in my avatar, is a rug done by L. I. (Hap) Haptonstall Taxidermy in Talent, Oregon. He's been in the taxidermy business for 50 years and he's a true master of the art.

I hope you've gotten you pelt tanned or at least frozen while you decide who will do your work. That's especially important with bobcats from my experience..

You have a very large an well spotted cat. It would be a shame to lose it... Congratulations and good luck!

Back