new FN built Winchester Model 70s, they any good?

Beamy85

these any good?

I've handled a few of these at some of the local shops. They seem pretty well built, the gun rags also say they're pretty good as well.

Currently I own two and soon to be three pre-64s, but for some reason I think a 243 or 308 Ultimate Shadow would be pretty cool rainy day rifle

From what I've seen, better than the later New Haven union-produced 70's. Better quality control available for the price.

I have a new FN Model 70 in 7-08, a Featherweight model.
It only required one range session for find two accurate loads; one with 140 gn Nosler Partitions for Deer, and a 100 Gn Sierra HP load for varmints.
Both loads I took to the range shot 3 shots into 1/2" groups at 100 yards after zeroing the rifle/scope.. I had a Weaver V-16 scope set at 16x for the testing.
I've never had a rifle before that only took one session to find accurate loads. I was blown away. Yes, I love the new Mod 70's from the SC plant.
Here's a pix of a new M-70 Featherweight in 7-08. It's not my rifle, but it could pass as an identical twin. Same ho-hum Walnut. Wish I would have held out for one with high grade wood on it.

WinModel707-08-New1.jpg

I like them, but I'm a fan of FN.

I also like the

SCAR
FNAR
FNP
SLP MK 1

You could also look into the rifle that is labeled FN. Lots of good stuff built into those.

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802I have a new FN Model 70 in 7-08, a Featherweight model.
It only required one range session for find two accurate loads; one with 140 gn Nosler Partitions for Deer, and a 100 Gn Sierra HP load for varmints.
Both loads I took to the range shot 3 shots into 1/2" groups at 100 yards after zeroing the rifle/scope.. I had a Weaver V-16 scope set at 16x for the testing.
I've never had a rifle before that only took one session to find accurate loads. I was blown away. Yes, I love the new Mod 70's from the SC plant.
Here's a pix of a new M-70 Featherweight in 7-08. It's not my rifle, but it could pass as an identical twin. Same ho-hum Walnut. Wish I would have held out for one with high grade wood on it.

WinModel707-08-New1.jpg

one of those in 243 would be pretty slick, IMHO

I had a chance to shoot one of the new featherweight models in .270 Winchester and one of the new Super Grade rifles in .30-06 Spr at the range a couple of weeks ago. They were both really nice rifles and both put my first three shots into a 1/2" or less group. The rifle's owner had done a little load development but said they were remarkably easy to develope loads for.

The super grade had beautiful wood on the stock and was as nicely fit and finished as I've seen.

I decided when I shot them that I'd just fired my next new rifle. I'm saving up for one of the new Super Grades which I'll probably buy chambered in .30-06. It seems like the right cartridge for such a rifle.

I can't find the link to it but Chuck Hawks wrote a review of the new FN production rifles in which he said that in his opinion they are the finest winchester Model 70 rifles ever produced. Looking at them and comparing them with my 1953 Model 70 I have to agree.

Fitch

well yesterday I picked up one, 308 Ultimate Shadow and put a new Refield 3-9x40 on it. Took it to the range after that. 3/4in group at 100 yds with 150gr Win Power Points.

to say the least, I'm impressed with it, I own two pre-64s and while the fit and finish isn't quite as nice as them, this sucker is well built and can shoot

model70post-64001.jpg

Last edited:
Back