A trip to the range with the 6mm DTI

dtech

Late last fall I built the "twins". Two identical 6mm DTI uppers, one in 1:10 twist, the other in 1:12. The 1:12 twist went to a customer in Iowa that has been using it for coyotes, and the 1:10 I used for white tail last fall. I took a nice buck with it, and one of my customers from Kansas wanted it, so I sent it down the road.

My customer from Iowa had been really happy with the accuracy he was getting with 70 grain bullets and RL-10X. Our annual family prairie dog hunt is coming up, so I decided to build myself a 1:12 twist and see how it does on prairie dogs. I finished it up this morning, mounted some optics and loaded up some 62 and 70 grain Bergers. I used some of the RL-10X, TAC, H-4895 and one of my old favorites, AA-2015.
DSC_0321_s.jpg

I was really pleased as all four powders showed real promise. Keep in mind, I finished the upper this morning, shot 3 shots in the shop just for testing, and the rest is what you are seeing on these targets! I'm really pumped about getting it out again before the upcoming trip.

These were all 100 yard groups. The first is a 5-shot group with H-4895 and 70 grain Bergers.
DSC_0334_s.jpg

This is a 5-shot group with 62 grain Bergers and TAC.
DSC_0336_s.jpg

Here's a 5-shot group of 70 grain Bergers pushed by AA-2015

The next are 3-shot groups with RL-10X. I wished I would have loaded for 5-shot groups! I guess they show enough promise to make another trip to the range.
DSC_0330_s.jpg

DSC_0339_s.jpg

Originally Posted By: venaticMan that one is a sure enough shooter Mike!! Any speed results on the 70gr bullets.

The most accurate load with TAC was right at 3500 FPS. The loads with the least velocity were the 10X and the AA-2015 and at and a little above 3250 FPS. The H-4895 load with the best accuracy came in at 3300 FPS.

None where showing any signs of excess pressure, and all but one load had the best accuracy at the high-end of the load.

Originally Posted By: DtechOriginally Posted By: venaticMan that one is a sure enough shooter Mike!! Any speed results on the 70gr bullets.

The most accurate load with TAC was right at 3500 FPS. The loads with the least velocity were the 10X and the AA-2015 and at and a little above 3250 FPS. The H-4895 load with the best accuracy came in at 3300 FPS.

None where showing any signs of excess pressure, and all but one load had the best accuracy at the high-end of the load.

Sorry, the load with TAC at 3500 FPS was a 62 grain Berger, not a 70 grain.

Originally Posted By: RedgeThat is sweet! Can you give us the specs on the scope also?

The barrel is a Shilen select-match 1:12 twist. I finished it at 22", and it is a full bull profile. The free-float tube is of my own design, and what I will be using for my "stock" float tube from now on.

The scope is a Leupold 6.5-20 LR with a 30mm tube. It is mounted on a rail with 15 min. of elevation, and 30mm Leupold QRW rings.

Back