Union Pro or Con??

Public schools in Caif pay better than private schools. ( I have 7 realitives who teach, 5 public 2 private ) State correctional officer pay 2 1/2 times better that private prisons. ( I know people who work for both )Private garbage colectors recieve less that public colectors.
It is true that there are hirring freezes in our state also, but that because the states and local communities are trying to figure out how they can pay for there employees they curently employ.
State and local community employee recieves paid vacation, paid holidays, sick day pay,if he works a holiday he recieves triple X.My father was a state employee, retired at age 55 ( CHP)
It could be true that white collar workers tend to be out of work longer than Blue collar workers.
Blue collar workers usualy don't qualify for White collar work without retraining.White collar workers usualy aren't intrested in labour intensive work . ( I believe thats why they got educated )

Mo, I know how you feel about raises. our health care package has increased by 60 cents on the hour. What's left amounts to about a quarter. We are really keeping up with inflation.

SRS 1 we were to recieve a 1.00 increase in wages in April but have voted to keep our same Health Care package which will take all of it.

Unions have their place no doubt but I have a problem with the fact that almost every union worker I know votes Democrat because the UNION says so even though they are hunters and are voting away their rights to not only hunt but to own firearms. I left the unoin because of the fact that they were always pushing views I opposed. I may have taken a temporary pay cut but I refuse to support those that try to force me to vote against my beliefs.

I've never had anyone try to force me to vote a cetain way. They support certain pols and tell us who they are but that is no different than the NRA.

That is how it works. You try to support who supports you. Unions are stereotypically tied to dems.. But here in NY, Gov. Pataki recieved alot of union backing and an F from the NRA.

NYNovice, I agree not all Dems are anti gun and not all Reps are pro gun, but generally that is the way it goes. I also agree that not all unions say to vote Dem all the time but again they usually do. I chose not to give money to someone who will use part of it to help finance the campaign of someone I won't vote for. As I stated in my 1st post on this subject, unions do have their place and are needed protect their members from some companies. I just chose to take a different route. I meant no dissrespect to you or any union members. happy hunting sean

None taken. I was just concerned with the word "force". I've had a past union pres. say " I would like to recommend blah, blah, blah". But that was it.

Good hunting and please do some hunting for me too. (busy).

Being a member of Local 139 union of operating engineers, I have to say I support good unions. In my line of work if you can't do the job your gone and some unions do protect the incompetant, but I have not seen this in my trade. The benefit package that I receive is great and my retirement program will provide a comfortable life when the time comes. My days of work vary sometimes it's only 4hrs and other times it has been up to 20hr days depending on deadlines and the weather. Last year was my slowest year in 4 years and I only worked 77 days but still grossed 23,000.00 and with all that time off I really enjoyed the hunting,fishing and time with my sons.My stepfather just retired from this union and after only 13 years his monthly pension is 2,600.00 also my stepbrother has been in for 19 years and at 37 his current benefit would be 4,100.00 if he could retire today, but we have to wait until we're 56. So like our union says If it's a 401K you might as well throw your money away because all it takes is a market fall and it gone.Also a lot of people wonder why we ask for so much the reason is it's called a living wage, because when your living out of a suitcase and motels and your employer does'nt pay for the room and meals it gets spendy fast.

I have been a public servant for almost three years now. Already I have spent two month on a strike line. What a joke. I didnt strike, I went and got another job to fill the void while we were on strike.
I couldnt see what we had to complain about, I have many friends in the industry im in that make considerably less than I do. My concience wouldnt let me ask for more. A lot of the people I work with wouldnt have jobs without the union protecting them. They are lazy and they abuse the system. One person I know really abuses the system and it pisses me off because I know a lot of people who would love the job and pay she has and would do a better job. She remains untouchable, after almost a year working half days and recieving full pay because she is stressed out. This is what earks me about unions.

I know my pay would probably be half of what it is without the union, but then again if there no unions at all maybe some of the things needed for living would cost less also. eg. UAW workers in a crhysler factory doing a mindless job making $35-40 an hour with no education.
I fell if everyone pulled there weight we wouldnt need unions.

Just my two cents.

In my experiance, Unions NOW A DAYS are totally political...

I Personally helped (with 12-15 others) start a union in a small town in Eastern IL..
I am a firm belever in the people and workers, but I'm also a Conservative Republican...
We got the UAW in, and after a few months we got a vote of 57-41 and won.....
In the mean time the company bosses, who I had been in good standards with before, started a nazi war camp campaign... they knew who helped get the union in, and found little stupud reasons to "$h!+can the pro union poeple who started it one by one...
Some of my friends lost there job for little stuff like forgetting to clock out for lunch, getting too much bad parts (machine malfunction)...
I lost my job because I came to work sick, and on the way to bathroom to puke, accidently steped on a wook pallat/skid and broke a board, So they got rid of my for dammaging company propert...
This was after union was in, and no contract yet..
But unuion says we are protected by laws.

( If you think I am lying, just e-mail me and I'll send you the address to plant, and you can talk to some of the workers.)

What did the (United Auto Workers) UNION do???

ABSOLUTLY NOTHING, everytime someone would get fired, we would go to the union reps and tell them...
They would say "Thats a crock, We'll look into it!"
And then after nothing, We'd ask em again, and they'd say "Well, there is nothing we can really do!" EVERY Time, After 25-30 people whoi was fired for "no legit reason".. the same think "Nothing we can do!"

The Union didn't even lift a pinky finger to even TRY..

In some of the union meeting, they'd have a lawyer from Chicago come in a talk to us, he (this was in 1994-95) told us more or less we had better hope Clinton got re-elected, and the republicans would ruin the unions....

I like the old unions of the old days where ballbats and hard workers wanted to keep jobs, now a days, the unions take your money and run.. instead on putting money back for mean lawyers to defend you, they give money to democratic campaign funds..

I believe in the workers, and do not like the company suck a$$es who stick it to the workers to move up ladder, but unions now a days are easly paid off by the companies, and still take $20-30 a month out of your paycheck...

back in the 1930's and 40's when FDR was in, and the democrats cared more for the poor, didn't want to take away guns, didn't want to give Blacks and minorities MORE rights "over" whites, I'd say yes, I'd be a democrat for sure...

Democrats are more like Nazi's now... they want to give more rights to people with differnt Races (like Hitler did), take away gun rights (like Hitler did) and so forth..

Anyway, I believe in the people of the unions, but not the democrat run union reps who run them...

scott

Well staed JD, Have you contacted The NLRB over the fireings. I had the same thing happen in the 70's.The NLRB ( durring the Nixon Pres. ) would have got my job back plus any lost wages.
The Union officers sometimes ballance the cost of taking on a employer over the rights of the employee. To bad.

I would have hired my own lawyer and if I was able to get my job back I would have made the union pay for it. Sounds like a stinky union.

As a member of a pipe fitter union,we belong to the United Assoc of pipe trades. Our top leaders in the UA make over $450'000 a year. Next time a demo tells you he's for the work'n man,maybee he's talk'n about these union officers, or those on the public dole.I don't know of anything a demo has done with my best intrest in mind.

Back