Advice on the Winchester 7mm wsm

coyotex

Got a buddy that has the blued model 70 bolt,,with a total of 7 shots fired through it,,with a cheap simmons scope on it.

First off he wants 300 cash for it,,..does that seem like a good deal?

Second,,what are they good for?

kinda spooked about knowing nothing about the cartridge,,and winchester being out of buisness.

So i need advice...............X

Good price on the gun - trash the scope and most likely the rings and mounts and start fresh. Good caliber in a medium action gun that parallels the 7 mag as noted.

You could use use the action for a 6.5/350 Rem Mag if you wanted to rebarrel it according to my gunsmith. Or like the others have said, stock up on reloading supplies and tear it up. Shoot it first and see how it does, but I would take the stock off and glass bed the first couple inches of barrel in the stock. For some reason, Winchester carved out a lot of material under the first 4-6 inches.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek064.html

Here is a 7mm WSM. Now I know that it is a custom gun, but it does demonstrate that the 7mm WSM is fast, flat and accurate. Most impressively it can demonstrate a small vertical spread among shots fired at long range. The 162 grain A-Max is popular in the article.

EricW

If you handload then get it if you don't then still get it and rebarrell to 270wsm or 300wsm. I figure they'll stop making the 7wsm ammo fairly soon.

Yep, if you dont handload stay away from a " short mag" period. In most practical hunting applications it will do nothing a more conventional cartridge wont.

Originally Posted By: podunkcowboy Yep, if you dont handload stay away from a " short mag" period. In most practical hunting applications it will do nothing a more conventional cartridge wont.

I disagree.. I believe the 300 and 270wsm are here to stay. The biggest problem I see with the WSM's are that when your tired of them there isn't a whole lot you can turn them into besides another WSM.

I was merely stating that the ammo price/ availability issues arent worth the alleged "gains". Im sure they will stick around as they were a testament to the power of marketing.

Originally Posted By: summitsitterOriginally Posted By: podunkcowboy Yep, if you dont handload stay away from a " short mag" period. In most practical hunting applications it will do nothing a more conventional cartridge wont.

I disagree.. I believe the 300 and 270wsm are here to stay. The biggest problem I see with the WSM's are that when your tired of them there isn't a whole lot you can turn them into besides another WSM.

All you need is another bolt/bolt face to turn it into any short action rifle. If you have a couple of bolts/bolt faces you could run from 6.5 rem mag, 223 rem, 243 win, etc. Just my opinion

My brother has a model 70, 7mm wsm shadow (cheap walmart gun). I swapped his 3-9x40 Simmons for another Simmons Aetec line 2.8-10x44. The Aetec's have pretty good glass with lots of eye relief. And adjusted his trigger down to less then 2 lbs. brewed up a custom load with 120 grain Nosler's and Varget. It is one of my favorite rifles now. The triggers on model 70's are awesome, good bolt, and its accurate as all get out. I have shot some very impressive groups with it and he has killed some very impressive deer with it. I finally got him to buy and AR But he still hunts for coyotes with the WSM. His rifle IMHO is about as good of a cheap awesome shooting rig as your gonna get.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chefpierre

All you need is another bolt/bolt face to turn it into any short action rifle. If you have a couple of bolts/bolt faces you could run from 6.5 rem mag, 223 rem, 243 win, etc. Just my opinion

I'm pretty sure you would have some feeding issues unless you went with a DBM. Rails are too far apart to hole case in magwell

Originally Posted By: summitsitterOriginally Posted By: podunkcowboy Yep, if you dont handload stay away from a " short mag" period. In most practical hunting applications it will do nothing a more conventional cartridge wont.

The 7mm WSM is the least popular and probably the best of the WSM's It is a great round. I do not know why it has failed to be more popular.

Back