Coyote with a crossbow?

robbcayman

Okay, here's the deal; I have an opportunity to whack some coyotes behind my house. This is the same place I do urban deer hunting. There's no way I can use a firearm since it's technically in the city.

I hear them howling every night. I've seen a ton of tracks and even caught some on my game camera. Has anyone ever used a crossbow on one? I have a stand and an e-caller. Will a standard 125 grain slick trick do the job? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yes whatever broadhead you use for deer will work fine for yotes to. I called one in for my brother one morning and he missed him with his bow. It can deffiantly be done just sit alittle closer to your caller or if your in a stand put it right under you. I tried this one day I grabbed my bow and headed to a thick creek bottom where I had a stand. I set my caller right under me and started. My brother and I called in three does and when they started out he said he saw a yote coming, but when the deer took off he was in hot persuit and he never looked back. Its going to be challanging but you can deffiantly do it.

The Predator Pursuit guys have even done a show around calling with a crossbow.
Man, it put a coyote down real quick.
thumbup1.gif

Barry

I would first check local laws. Bows are sometimes classifide as a firearm. I saw a Predator Pursuit program on Sportsmans channel, they shot one with a Crossbow.. I believe the description was.. " Like shooting a Lightning Bolt through a Marshmallo.. lol Check the laws first... Good luck.

I wanted to try a Crossbow on Coyotes as well, but in New Hampshire, it can only be used on Deer during rifle season.

Looking forward to securing one with my new compound bow.

Check out the Verminators Bowmania video. They use compound bows, no crossbows that I remember, but it is awesome. You could use a lot of the same tactics.

Robbcayman, we probably shot five or six coyotes with a crossbow this winter and I can tell you right now that it'll dang sure put 'em down. Half of the ones we shot dropped right there and the rest went down close enough to get it on film. We made one episode dedicated strictly to crossbow kills, all of which were called in at night using a white light. We haven't tryed it during the day yet but I'm sure it can be done. We have also shot several with a compound over the years. The setup we use is a Barnett Predator crossbow and 125 gr fixed blade broadheads. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Cal Ferguson
Predator Pursuit TV

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a post on Predator Masters here where one guy got a double with a crossbow. I can't remember the user name. That was a good read. Maybe do a search for text crossbow on here. good luck brother.

Originally Posted By: DrDzNuTsThere was a post on Predator Masters here where one guy got a double with a crossbow. I can't remember the user name. That was a good read. Maybe do a search for text crossbow on here. good luck brother.

That guy was here in Michigan last year.....shot one and was able to reload while watching the second just sit around and wait for him.

Back