Chronograph use-Do you shoot for velocity or accuracy or both?

cmatera

When you use your chronograph, do you shoot only to get the velocity or velocity and accuracy ie. at a target at the same time? I'm afraid if I try to do two things at once, I'll end up shooting the chrony.

I believe you should always load for accuracy, the velocity numbers can be helpful to determine if you are over/underloading, finding accuracy nodes etc. Velocity is worthless if you keep missing the target (live game vs paper). It is not like a drag race where velocity becomes more important than where you cross the finish line.

Originally Posted By: cmateraWhen you use your chronograph, do you shoot only to get the velocity or velocity and accuracy ie. at a target at the same time? I'm afraid if I try to do two things at once, I'll end up shooting the chrony.

Both. It's very easy to set up the chronograph in line w/target.

1)hang target

2)Set up rifle (w/bolt open) on sandbags w/crosshairs centered on target. I actually remove the bolt as most of my rifles are bolt action and makes it easier to see daylight through bore during step 3.

3) Set up chronograph and, standing on downrange side of chrony, look through the bore and align bore w/your chrony screens.

Using this method you cannot hit your chronograph.

Regards,
hm

I shoot through the chrony all the time at targets. You won't hit anything. Get lined up and look down the bore. With my 3X scope I can see the metal supports that hold up the plastic upper and can center my gun pretty well. Put the unit 8-10 ft or so in front of the barrel. Line it up visually through the bore or if you can turn your scope down low enough, frame the support wires and rotate them until they look the same left and right. Shoot so the bullet passes 6 inches or so above sensor area, or slightly higher.

EricW

Originally Posted By: EricWI shoot through the chrony all the time at targets. You won't hit anything. Get lined up and look down the bore. With my 3X scope I can see the metal supports that hold up the plastic upper and can center my gun pretty well. Put the unit 8-10 ft or so in front of the barrel. Line it up visually through the bore or if you can turn your scope down low enough, frame the support wires and rotate them until they look the same left and right. Shoot so the bullet passes 6 inches or so above sensor area, or slightly higher.

EricW

+1

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: EricWI shoot through the chrony all the time at targets. You won't hit anything. Get lined up and look down the bore. With my 3X scope I can see the metal supports that hold up the plastic upper and can center my gun pretty well. Put the unit 8-10 ft or so in front of the barrel. Line it up visually through the bore or if you can turn your scope down low enough, frame the support wires and rotate them until they look the same left and right. Shoot so the bullet passes 6 inches or so above sensor area, or slightly higher.

EricW

+1

+2............But dont let a pal "borrow" it when you are not there to hold his hand and set it up or it will come back to you with a hole through the unit......
w00t.gif

Somehow mine got returned to me that way!
scared.gif

I use an Oehler M33, with a 5' spread. My first screen is set at 5', therefore my instrumental is 7 1/2'. I use Skyscreen III's, and they have a very large window to shoot through.
When I got my first M33, the II's were some smaller, and I punched more that a few. Luckily, I never hit the lights, and a piece of tape would often fix the problem. The computer is usually set behind my right shoulder so it would be hard to hit. I put it there because when I shot my magnum pistol, it really shook the internals, lol.
All of my shooting is for accuracy, even when I chrono. I want to get as much info as I can at any given time.
I've been looking at the RCBS unit lately, and the window on it looks as big as mine.
Have fun,
Gene

Accuracy mostly. When I find a good load, I want to make sure the ES and SD are low. If they aren't I start tweaking until I can get low ES and good accuracy.

Did anyone mention consistency? I like an accurate load that gets near the targeted velocity that is very uniform and CONSISTENT.

I go for accuracy and as GC wrote, consistency... I want the confidence that each round is going to act substantially the same..

Almost any animal shot with a good kill zone hit,,, won't care if that bullet was running at 2300fps or 3500fps...but if you hit outside of the intended area, you just might really upset him..

Originally Posted By: Verminator2Accuracy mostly. When I find a good load, I want to make sure the ES and SD are low. If they aren't I start tweaking until I can get low ES and good accuracy.

+1

When I first got mine in '87, I used it all the time...just another gun toy. Later on, I worked up load for super accuracy then checked speed.

There are usually several accuracy nodes where you can get super accuracy at several different speeds...I want speed with super accuracy without ruining my brass.

I shoot for accuracy all the time, I chrono my loads to keep track when testing different powders and charges to see if speed can increase but still maintain accuracy

I use mine to work up a load and then to determine average speed once the load is settled on. After that point, I don't see much benefit in shooting over the screens unless loading with a new lot of powder.

Not that it really matters but I believe he just wanted to know if when you shot across your Chronograph if you tried to actually aim at a target or just aimed thru the screens not caring where the bullet stuck downrange. I am sure he appreciates all the info as to why as well though.
smile.gif

Oopps... missed that part. Set-up properly I shot groups right through the screens while I record ballistic info.

I shoot through the chrony at the target when working up loads.. The two go hand in hand as usually the best load has the most consistant velocity..

Back