Leupold VX3 on Swift help.

johnc427

Just ordered the new 700 swift and was curious what peoples opinions were on what kind of reticle. Kind of got it down to either a VX3 with the CDS turret and duplex or the varmint style reticle. Anybody have any experience with either? I know i want the 4.5-14x50. Will be used for target and varmint hunting up to 5 or 600 yards. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

JMO- I have two friends with the varmint hunter reticle. For me, early morning and late evening, the varmint is hard to see. I think I might prefer the B&C reticle a little better.

most of your loads for a Swift are gonna run to fast and shoot to flat to match the VH reticle and B&C reticle. You'd be better to get M1 knobs and fine duplex reticle.

you are gonna be limited to the 55 to 60 grainers for a factory twist swift. Wind is gonna play a huge factor with the light bullets at those distances..

Last edited:
Maybe I have missed it, but what are your targets? Big, small? In between?

IMHO, at those distances on PD's, or similar size critters, 4.5-14X50 is not enough scope. I assume you are shooting a heavy Swift off a bench? {Y/N)

My "bench" varmint rifles, that have Lupes, including a Swift, all have VX3 6.5-20X50's or 8.5-25X50's (Or VX-III, Vari-X III). Some are fine plex, some are VH.

On my "walk-about" rifles I have 4.5-14X50's because of size and weight.

For me, the jury is still out on the VH reticle.

Here is a bench rifle w/ 6.5-20X50:

PICT0773.jpg

...and a "walk-about" w/ 4.5-14X50:

DSC_1115.jpg

I was thinking I'll probably run a VX3 with a 4.5-14x40 with the CDS just because of the price.

Claimbuster-
I'll be either shooting of a bench at the range, in large open fields off a bench or across large draws in clear cuts for yotes. This is a heavy barreled swift (26" fluted). In all reality I don't think i'll see anything past 400 yards. 500 would probably be pushing my shooting limits anyway. I do shoot prairie dogs over in eastern oregon but those shoots most can be made with a 22 so as you can assume... there not that far. Thanks for your inputs it is much appreciated!

John

The VH reticle is fine. Lose it in low light.

And as I stated the yardages will not match the Swift. You could tailor new yardages, but they wouldn't be even increments like it is set up to use.

VH reticle is set up for 200,300,400,500.

200 = zero
300 = 1.81 moa large and 2.26 moa small
400 = 4.13 moa large and 5.16 moa small
500 = 7.02 moa large and 8.78 moa small

top of post is 2.33 moa more or 11.11 moa total from zero

Typical factory Swift load of 55 V-max at say 2000 asl with 200 yard zero:

200 = zero
300 = 1.5 moa drop
400 = 3.5 moa drop
500 = 6.0 moa drop

so your 300 would be .93" high
400 would be 2.52" high
500 would be 5.1" high

and this would be greater at higher elevation and/or different air density

Last edited:
or, if you are gonna stick to one load with the swift, the custom shop at Leupold will make a reticle tailored to your drop data.....

I have one on a Savage Striker 243 WSSM and love it. It doesn't add up to even ydgs. for my load as Y2C says, but it's nice for the long shot on coyotes, faster than a turret. Buddy of mine has one on an AR-10 243 and made 3 long shots on coyotes this past season with it @ 650, 535 and 470. One shot in particular demonstrated the effectiveness of the reticle (subtension) vs. trajectory system he developed for his load. We had a coyote coming in from a long distance late in the day, and i was calling range to the dog as Eric gets set up for the shot (i think he uses the smaller triangle/larger subtension system). The dog hesitated for a couple seconds at 535, and i called it quickly to him. One of his stadia was setup for that range and he quickly killed the dog outright. Here's my rig with the 4.5-14x VX-III/VH reticle on top--

HPIM0057.jpg

Don't get the VH if you are planning on dialing in your dope. Do one or the other. In your case I would choose the dope. Get you (whatever power your want) a Leupold VX3 with either the tall target turrents, cds, or M1 knobs. I have a 6-20x50 with the VH and I hate it. Gonna send it in as soon as funs allow and get something else. Lose it in lowlight, and it's now where close on my .308. All it's doing now is taking up space in my scope.

Back