17 HMR...CCI vs hornady

Trapper Luke

Was out shootin P-dogs the other day with my 17 HMR and ran out of the 17gr hornady ballistic tip bullets so I grabbed some of the CCI 17gr ballistic tip bullets. I noticed once I started shootin the CCI bullets I had alot more P-dogs crawl back into their holes after what should have been a kill shot. When I was shooting the hornady bullets I didnt have that problem? All shots were pretty close to the same distance. Anybody else noticed this before or am I just up in the night?

Thanks,
Luke

Originally Posted By: skb2706I thought they were the same. Made in the same place with the same components.

It is common knowledge in the trade that all four brands of .17 HMR ammunition are being produced by CCI in their Idaho factory. The load specifications and bullets used in the various brands vary, however, so it would be a mistake to assume that all four brands will shoot equally well in any given rifle.

Originally Posted By: Trapper LukeWas out shootin P-dogs the other day with my 17 HMR and ran out of the 17gr hornady ballistic tip bullets so I grabbed some of the CCI 17gr ballistic tip bullets. I noticed once I started shootin the CCI bullets I had alot more P-dogs crawl back into their holes after what should have been a kill shot. When I was shooting the hornady bullets I didnt have that problem? All shots were pretty close to the same distance. Anybody else noticed this before or am I just up in the night?

Thanks,
Luke

It's hard to shoot a PD sized target if you don't know where the bullet is going......
I shot some cci 17g TNT hollow points in my savage. .625" 5 shot group @ 100, mine likes winchester
supreme V-max 17g....440 @ 100, but i will say this, my poi was different with different ammo....
even though my .17 likes most all kinds of ammo, I still have to rezero when switching.....
I tried a 5 shot group with 5 different brands of ammo guess what, +2" group....dont do it captain!

I was under the impression that CCI loaded all of the .17hmr ammo no matter what name is on the box.
I do not know if they use the same brass and powder for all of the different brands it is sold under but I have never seen any major differences at all in any of my rifles switching from brand to brand but I try to buy the actual Hornady branded ammo by the case when it is available just to rule out those variables mentioned.

Originally Posted By: kohI was under the impression that CCI loaded all of the .17hmr ammo no matter what name is on the box.
I do not know if they use the same brass and powder for all of the different brands it is sold under but I have never seen any major differences at all in any of my rifles switching from brand to brand but I try to buy the actual Hornady branded ammo by the case when it is available just to rule out those variables mentioned.

My bet is the only difference in the ammo is the headstamp on the brass. With the trouble they have had with pressure spikes in 17 HMR ammo there can't be much difference in any of it.

Originally Posted By: skb2706Originally Posted By: kohI was under the impression that CCI loaded all of the .17hmr ammo no matter what name is on the box.

My bet is the only difference in the ammo is the headstamp on the brass. With the trouble they have had with pressure spikes in 17 HMR ammo there can't be much difference in any of it.

If there isn't any difference from brand to brand WHY do they not all shoot the same.

Winchester Supreme shoot the very best of all of them.

DAB

Back