CVA Rifle

pyscodog

Just remembered! Academy is selling a CVA Stalker (?) rifle or something like that for $179.00. Comes in 223,243,7-08,308 and 30-06. Anyone seen or heard of these? They are single shot, break open rifles. Wonder if they have the Bergara barrels? Thought it might be a good entry level rifle for some of the young-uns. pyscodog

Ive never herd of them. I tryed to look them up online, but couldnt find anything. If they are worth anything I might be interested in buying one for my mom.

I found my add- Elite Stalker rifle. I just came from their web site and didn't find them either.

Last edited:
CVA makes an Optima elite that is a break open.

Their newest is the Apex switch barrel- 50 cal m/l,22lr,and nine centerfire calibers .223, .243, .30-06, 45-70 and others, and the Apex does have the Bergara barrels and an included scope rail.

I don't know anything about the stalker but at that price it would definitly get a good look from me for a cabin gun.

I just could'nt stand it so I went to Academy this morning and looked at the CVA rifles. Its called a Stalker and does have a some-what heavy Bergara barrel. I can't find out much info on CVA's web site but went to Bergara and the rifle seems to have a 1-10 twist barrel. For $179.00, it might be an OK rifle. It seems to lock-up tight but you can't try the trigger because of the lock. They (Academy) also offer the same rifle in stainless for an extra $20.00. The rifle has a synsetic stock, black with white or gray (?) webbing. Still debating as to whether or not to invest a couple hundred bucks on it. Anyway, that is what I found out for anyone interested. They also had a Remington R-15 for $995.00 and a R-25 for around $1200. Decent prices!

I work at Academy here in Prattville, AL. The CVA stalker is a great gun. I also personally own one. i have it in a .308 win and love it. great beginner gun for all ages (men and women) and good gun for non-beginners as well. Me and the others that work at the gun counter call it a poor mans TC. Do not let the price fool you. It is truly a gun worth having. Even though its a single shot that not a whole lot can go wrong with, it carries a limited lifetime waranty. Only one thing that could cause a problem for the younger crowd is the weight of it. Pretty heavy gun for its size, although the weight is beneficial in the higher calibers.

If needed or wanted, I could upload a picture or 2 of it.

Last edited:
Unfortunitely, its really hard to find info on them on the net. There are alot of people around my area that has purchased them from us (academy) and love them. I personally love mine. Either gotta dig hard and long for info on them or talk to someone that has either shot one or owns one. Selling firearms has a decent advantage on getting info and personal opinions and even sometimes professional.

As far as if anyone sells them besides academy, I'm not sure. I have never seen them anywhere else. I know basspro sells the muzzleloaders. Other then that, I don't know.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Im sure its no Ruger number 1 but itll probably kill game. I enjoy experimenting with " cheap" equipment that everyone bashes on to see how I like it myself.

I've no problem with one forming one's own opinion through real world experience. Wish more would try it sometime.

I like the styling/feel of the CVA Apex, but they've simply recalled too many rifles for me to ever consider purchasing a CVA.......

I dislike there muzzle loaders also. Probably because my first was a T/C Omega kinda hard to follow in my opinion. The idea of a rifle for $190 is good to me as I have lots of young fellas who wanna hunt and shoot but moms and dads either cant afford them a gun or have no interest. Sadly I cant afford to build them custom rifles but think I can pull off $190 plus glass.

Talking about recalls, we had a knight rifle plant down here, went down because of that very thing. I have had both CVA and TC rifles, no problems out of both set ups. Dont have my TC set up anymore, still hunting with CVA. Went to Academy and put hands on this new rifle from CVA, liked it will own one if they have it when i can buy.

Knight did not go down because of product recalls. They went down because too many weekend warriors are willing to pay $150 for an inferior product made overseas. I've been hunting with the same Knight for 24 yrs now. Foolproof system. Can't see it ever failing. Still don't think the original MK85 system has been improved upon to this day as far as accuracy and reliability go. Prices are fair also, for what you get, IMO. If I had to, I would buy a T/C before I would buy any of the stuff made overseas.......

Hey, wasnt tryin to make you mad. I was goin by what a friend that I have no reason to doupt which worked for them at the time was telling me about the product. Now I do know that the first rifles that knight came out with were good. I think the problem with the newer products were that there were just to many moving parts. Like I said my Kodiac Mag from CVA and my Omega from TC work just fine and I didnt pay near what I would have paid for a knight.

I never used the word JUNK.

Back